PDA

View Full Version : Hard dive concern.

Bryan
24-04-2016, 08:59 AM
I have two HDDs on my PC. The main drive is a 1TB and has no concerns. My second HDD is a 2TB HDD that I use for storage. This HDD is 1.6TB full.

Crystal Disk info registers a caution for the following: 1. C5 Current Pending Sector count: 9. And 2. C6 Uncorrectable Sector count:5.

Should I be concerned about these two notifications?

wainuitech
24-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Simple answer = YES

Longer answer, drives that show sectors like that mean some sectors have failed. When this happens it doesn't stop or get any better. You can format a drive and those bad sectors will be marked as bad and windows will ignore/wont write data to them, but more will develop.
What usually happens, (and I've dealt with customers who didn't want to listen) is all of a sudden the drive completely fails, could be later that day or in months , but it will happen, all data is lost, normal recovery software wont even look at it, so it needs to go to a professional data recovery business to get what they can back.

One customer had this happen last year - $800 later and they got 95% of their data back. Took roughly 4 weeks to recover.

Had one a couple of weeks ago, Owner said the laptop was running a bit slow, then suddenly froze and wouldn't start --- 1TB Drive gone -- tried to recover the data, but as soon as it was connected to ANY PC by sata or USB caddy, everything froze. At one point It did go, 22 hours later my data recovery software was at 1%.

So basically if the data on the drive is important get a new drive and copy it NOW before it fails.

If the drive is still in warranty, that's cause for a RMA ( replacement) But you will need to get the data copied first, warranty's don't cover data.

Bryan
24-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Thank you for that.

dugimodo
24-04-2016, 07:23 PM
+1 to Wainui's comments, only once have I seen a hard drive with bad sectors that didn't get worse and I think that was a special case (Copy software locked up writing the same sector overnight for 8 hours straight) but even then despite multiple testing etc I never fully trusted that drive again or put anything important on it.

I would replace it as Wainui suggests. If you want to keep it and try to get some more use out of it (not really worth it except as an experiment IMHO but free to try) you need to download the drive tools from the manufacturer and do a low level format. They often call it something else these days, but essentially you need a tool that scans the drive and remaps any bad sectors so they won't be used. Drives have a small pool of hidden sectors for this purpose you can't normally access and they get mapped to fill the gaps.

The WD drive I did that to would then pass the long diagnostic test but curiously not the short one:) As I said it never developed more bad sectors but I didn't trust it anyway.

A bit of useless trivia for you, manufacturing drives consistently to be exactly the same size with 0 defects is far too expensive so in practice they don't do it. They make the drives bigger than required and the factory testing/formatting hides any defects in the same manner I described above, many drives have minor defects and hidden bad sectors from the manufacturing process right from brand new. This is not an issue though, only new defects developing is cause for concern.

Bryan
24-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Thanks Dugi. Very informative and safely stored in the grey matter for now.