PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Disk Drive

01-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Hello Again, As you can tell - this is my first time building a PC.

Hopefull a final question - I have the system up and running, with all drives intstalled - the 3.5' drive is not being picked up by the bios, or windows. It has the green LED permanently on, but does not read any disks. I have double checked the cable that it is lined up with pin1 on both the drive and m/board.

Any suggestions as to hat may be wrong? I know it may be something really simple - but once again - Thanks a million in advance.

Kerry

01-01-2002, 02:16 PM
try the lead backwoulds...it wouldn't be the first time i've seen markings on backwoulds, check for bent pins. also it may be on the B connector instead of the A connector. check that it is enabled in bios, some come out with floppy disabled as default.

01-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Thanks tweak'e....

I have enabled in the bios, it comes up with 'Floppy drive(s) fail (40)' when set as Drive A, and a fail (80) when set as drive B. I have tried the lead backwards, and reversed the 'Pin1' line as well. But it still comes up with the same thing. green LED stays on - not being detected by the bios with the same error message Fail (40)..

Could it the drive itself that is faulty?

Thanks

01-01-2002, 05:24 PM
I have just found the answer! Yeh! It sounds like either you're cable is bad or the drive itself is bad so i suggest you buy a better one but have a look at the two 92) articles I've found relating to these errors:

www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000426.htm

www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000454.htm

The site http://www.computerhope.com is a great site for finding solutions to a problem. Tip: do a search at Google and we will always most likely find a answer! Thats what I did, it was 1st and 2nd on the list, the ones after don't help

01-01-2002, 05:58 PM
Thanks s y,

I have tried a new cable with the same results - so have contacted the place I got the drive from. Not expecting to hear back from them in a hurry - and I might be able to get hold hold of an older drive to test it.

And - thanks for the links...never knew that site existed..will be a big help.

Kerry