PDA

View Full Version : W.I.N.E - It's Mysterious......

SurferJoe46
21-04-2016, 06:44 PM
I betchum I got this all wrong - and I'm sure someone will straighten me out on it.

OK - so you've got a dual boot (grub) with Windows anything and Linux (most anything) and you've got some drivers in Windows that Linux needs to operate some hardware correctly.

So - Linux with W.I.N.E just emulates itself as a Windows something-or-other and just uses the drivers for the hardware for itself over in the Linux side. Right?

In case anyone wonders why I ask this - and state it as a rhetorical question - is that W.I.N.E is failing to get the job done. :confused:

What's wrong here (mark on a curve please - I'm old and getting older)

Oh yeah...............................

PS. this is not FIXED yet.

gary67
21-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't you have to use wine and install said drivers in Linux, that's how you do programs you use Wine to install Windows programs. Not all programs work though

fred_fish
21-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Wine Is Not an Emulator ;)
It translates win system calls to lin equivalents to enable running windows binaries on linux - it will not work for hardware drivers.

Hardware support is generally built into the kernel (or with compiled kernel modules).

What's not working?

SurferJoe46
22-04-2016, 03:19 AM
Wouldn't you have to use wine and install said drivers in Linux, that's how you do programs you use Wine to install Windows programs. Not all programs work though

Aha! I thought having the correct drivers in XP, they would be polled by W.I.N.E. and all would be good.

Wine Is Not an Emulator ;)
It translates win system calls to lin equivalents to enable running windows binaries on linux - it will not work for hardware drivers. *

Hardware support is generally built into the kernel (or with compiled kernel modules). ^

What's not working?

* - This is did not know.

^ Which kernel are you referencing? Windows? Linux? Or did I miss the boat with this idea then?

I'm still fighting Puppy's troubles with my SB Audigy - SB Live! - Diamond sound cards. They used to work - then one by one they went silent - usually the right channel dying first then the left. I've read on the internet that Puppy has some serious problems with sound cards though. I just thought I could sniff it out and get them up.

XP though, has no troubles with the older cards and although I see in the support areas for the drivers that there are driver versions of all my cards even up to and including Win8.1. I did not find that true, hence all the hubbub by me and the steep learning curve.

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2016, 04:19 PM
I know it's not a "solution", but if I were in your shoes, I'd do something like booting Ubuntu from a Live CD and seeing if it has better joy with acknowledging your SB!Live cards. I recall I had some "fun" with mine too, in Redhat 7, though that was some 14-odd years ago now :D

SurferJoe46
22-04-2016, 04:40 PM
I know it's not a "solution", but if I were in your shoes, I'd do something like booting Ubuntu from a Live CD and seeing if it has better joy with acknowledging your SB!Live cards. I recall I had some "fun" with mine too, in Redhat 7, though that was some 14-odd years ago now :D

This makes sense to me too. I've got several LIVE CDs er, DVDs, and I'll try that.

mzee
22-04-2016, 09:36 PM
I could not get WINE to work on Puppy Slacko, but it does work on Puppy Ubuntu. If you go to the WINE website you will see a list of programs which will work with WINE. Not much point if you are double booting with Windows.