PDA

View Full Version : Win 10 upgrade / clean install for dual boot.

SP8s
16-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Hi all ...

The story to date. I have 2 x 1TB WD HD's. Both were running Win 7 (legit) and I decided to dual boot 1 of them with 7 & 10 ... no problem. Downloaded the Media Creation Tool from MS and burnt a ISO to disc, did a custom install onto a new partition. Everything went well and it dual booted just like it should have ... until a big fat W10 update came along and screwed everything up.

I'm no tech, but every "option" I tried just made the manure deeper until I admitted defeat and wiped the drive completely and reinstalled W7 to have another go at it. When I went to find the W10 disc, I found it chewed up by Rico, our Puerto Rican Husky pup ... true story and haven't used it in 45 years when he did the same to my homework :devil

Downloaded another copy of W10 and went for a custom install again, however, this time there was no option to do a custom install and it did an upgrade. OK, I'll keep the W10 upgrade on one HD and 7 on the other, but it's not what I really want.

Questions ...

1) Have MS changed the download recently so that you can't do a custom install or are there two different file download options ... I can only find one.
2) Is it possible to clone / image the W10 upgrade on Disc1 and copy it on a Disk2 (new partition of course) and will that enable dual booting ??

I don't really want to leave it as it is, or going through the whole process of installing Win7 and screwing it up again.

TIA

SP8's

wainuitech
16-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Nothing changed unless they have do it in the last few days.

If you install W10, then the motherboard is then registered, no need to install W7 and then upgrade. The custom install is still there, BUT if you are doing an upgrade from withing windows I think ( from memory - I just do it these days) the first custom install is disabled, doing a fresh install its fine.

What you should be able to do, is have W7 on one partition, wipe the second clean, and when booting from the DVD, then select the second, now empty partition and dump W10 in there, since its had W10 , dont enter a product key since the hardware is already activated from the previous install.

Dumping a image of one install onto another partition wont create a dual boot. When installing W10 from fresh it should detect another OS and then create a dual boot.

Normally I get the ISO from Techbench, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench They are usually a bit more upto date, just bringing one down now since MS have done some newer upgrades in the last day or two.

mzee
16-04-2016, 11:45 PM
I have triple booting on my Dell Vostro
Puppy Linux is on partition 4
Windows 7 Pro is on partition 1
Window 10 Pro is on partition 2

Windows 7 & Puppy were already installed.
I had a W10 image which I made a month ago when I decided to return to W7, it was imaged from partition 1.
Today I restored the image to partition 2. It worked fine but no dual booting
I used 'Easy BCD' in W10 to set up the triple booting. It works fine as long as the 'Fast Boot' is disabled in W10.

mzee
16-04-2016, 11:58 PM
While on the Subject of W10. Recently I installed W10 Pro 64 bit on a friends laptop. In the settings under colour it was possible to have a coloured top border on windows like W8.1, but in my W10 it only makes a very thin frame. I believe that there is a Registry tweak for this. Is there an update specifically for this setting?

wainuitech
17-04-2016, 11:18 AM
While on the Subject of W10. Recently I installed W10 Pro 64 bit on a friends laptop. In the settings under colour it was possible to have a coloured top border on windows like W8.1, but in my W10 it only makes a very thin frame. I believe that there is a Registry tweak for this. Is there an update specifically for this setting?

Its inbuilt on 10580, no reg hack required...Its in Settings/Personalization / Colors Make sure Automatically pick a color is off. Also make sure the button Show color on start, taskbar (under the color chart) is ON.

You can then change to what ever you want.The color is only visable in the active window.

mzee
17-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Its inbuilt on 10580, no reg hack required...Its in Settings/Personalization / Colors Make sure Automatically pick a color is off. Also make sure the button Show color on start, taskbar (under the color chart) is ON.

You can then change to what ever you want.The color is only visable in the active window.

All done and updated to version 10586 but just the same.

wainuitech
18-04-2016, 04:10 PM
All done and updated to version 10586 but just the same. Just did a fresh install, and as per the picture the title bars changed colors as described /shown.

Again Changed the settings:

Then the two windows 8.1 & 10 only difference apart from the color a bit is W10 has thinner boarders. W10 is the one on the right

As I mentioned ONLY the active window changes color, if you have two or more open then only 1 will change, the others return to white.