PDA

View Full Version : How Di I Remove A Bad Linux Install?

SurferJoe46
16-04-2016, 03:07 AM
Got a snarggled-up installation of a Linux distro on the 64-bit that is alongside Windows XP and Puppy. Windows and Puppy run fine although Windows cannot seem to find a 'good' certificate to get on line.

The broken install is still showing in the start-up menu and I can't get rid of it and clicking on it just puts the 'puter into Dead Loop Hell.

Any ideas on what to do?

Kame
16-04-2016, 03:54 AM
Boot into Puppy.
Delete the partition of the Linux distro that snargged up.
run grub-install /dev/sdx where x is the drive that has your master boot record, usually sda.
Reboot and check.

If you wanted actual steps, I couldn't tell you as Red Hat and Debian/Ubuntu based distributions have been my area for over 20 years.

Cheers,

KK

SurferJoe46
16-04-2016, 04:12 AM
I wuz looking at RedHat....not TOO intently.... just looking!

Gonna assume here the it's correct to call Puppy, a Slack distro?

Kame
16-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Puppy comes in two flavours, a Ubuntu compatible one (woof) and a Slackware one (slacko). I assumed you grabbed Slacko.

SurferJoe46
16-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Not home right now. Will get to this in about four hours.

SurferJoe46
16-04-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm here and will try that Puppy Cleaner idea in a few minutes.

Eating supper right now, and as soon as the apple pie is gone, then I get to play wiht the 'puter.

Thanks, again.

Bryan
16-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Joe. Check out the "How to Geek" web site and ask you question there. I had a similar problem when I dabbled with dual booting with Linux and it screwed up the boot sequence. How to Geek has info on how to correct the bootup sequence after Linux has been removed. Lucky man to have Apple Pie, I bet it was just great!

SurferJoe46
16-04-2016, 05:56 PM
<Brian> Lucky man to have Apple Pie, I bet it was just great!

...with vanilla ice cream on it ---- lots of ice cream.

.... and a hot coffee in my fav mug.

Apple pie - a la mode, and hot coffee!

Ummm ummmm :punk

SurferJoe46
16-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Remember that I don't want to destroy the dual-boot capability and I don't want to harm Puppy or XP.

Those instructions are for taking the whole Linux experience out of a Windows machine.

Not what I want or need.

SurferJoe46
17-04-2016, 05:10 AM
<Brian> Joe. Check out the "How to Geek" web site and ask you question there. I had a similar problem when I dabbled with dual booting with Linux and it screwed up the boot sequence.

I totally didn't see the statement you made about the sequence.

Was it that you wanted one to be default and couldn't get it to take that position or the whole install was mucked up?

AND ---- I expect tremendous kudos and lots of back-slapping for this accomplishment ------> :rolleyes:

I GOT A SPELLING DICTIONARY INSTALLED .... and it works across every platform I've tried so far!!!!

It's even working when I'm sending this to youse guys in Upsidedown Land too!

There will, therefor, be no my spelling mistakes. No extra 'u's and certainly no 'z's or 'c's supplanting 's's ------ nor vice-avers:

'prise' v 'prize' -
'ounsez' v 'ounces' -
'dougz' v 'dogs'
etc.

My neck's so painful at the end of the day, what with holding up this giant brain.