PDA

View Full Version : rip DVD software

14-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Im after suggestions for DVD conversion/rip software . There wont be any copy protection on these DVDs

Heres the plan
convert some old VHS tapes to DVD.
Thats the easy part : I'll use my old set top DVD recorder (TV type DVD recorder, not PC type)
Thats an easy 1 button process

Then , Im thinking about the option of ripping those DVDs , and putting the files on a WD Media Player thats connected to the TV

So, since this is a 1 off of a few DVD's, & I will never be doing this again, whats the easiest to use , free software to rip the DVD's Ive just made ?
I know theres plenty of options , whats the quickest & easiest . What format to rip to, mp4, ISO etc ?
Any suggestions. I dont want some dodgy malware ridden ripper/converter :)

I might be able to just copy the vid track direct from the DVD , since it was made/burnt without menus etc (?)

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2016, 12:40 PM
http://www.dvdshrink.org/download.php will rip it from the disc and allow you to trim menus etc
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php will give you the re-encode to an MP4

dugimodo
14-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Slighty dodgy question to answer here kind of because some of this could also be useful for people wanting to "backup" commercial DVD's but anyway.

The best paid tool I've tried is DVD fab, it lets you go straight to MP4 or AVI etc in one step. There's a 30 day trial but it might add a watermark. They still have a basic free version that just rips to the hdd in DVD format and you'll still need to convert it to whatever format you prefer. Look on the official website for the free tools tab. After that you'll need a converter, Handbrake might do it. Handbrake also can do the ripping but last time I looked that was only under Linux due to different licensing rules. I haven't done any of this in years but it used to be AutoGK I used for the final conversion (instead of handbrake, try that first).

Honestly it's easier to use a video capture device and record direct from VHS to the PC in one step, every conversion you do can drop the quality and VHS is not great to start with. I did a lot of tapes for a friend of his kids, wedding etc. They come out alright. Only problem is how time consuming it is.

Of course I think the WD media player supports DVD format on HDD so you could just rip them with the free version of DVD fab and leave it at that, I just prefer a single video file myself.

dugimodo
14-04-2016, 12:49 PM
http://www.dvdshrink.org/download.php will rip it from the disc and allow you to trim menus etc
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php will give you the re-encode to an MP4

+1 - was going to suggest DVDshrink but didn't know where to find a safe version of it, there are a lot of dodgy ones around. Also if you do use shrink don't use any compression as it'll lower the quality. It's designed to squash dual layer DVD's down to single layer sizes for burning but it can rip uncompressed.

14-04-2016, 12:51 PM
NOD32 didnt like me going to this webpage :-) . It blocked something from there
http://www.dvdshrink.org/about.php

It might try handbrake. That may be usefull get some experience on.

These DVD's are sourced from old VHS tapes, so we arnt talking about the highest quality anyway. I dont want to make it worse though.
The conversion from VHS to DVD will have some compression, old school MPEG-2 ?

Renegade
14-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Majorgeeks have a safe Shrink download.

I use Xmedia recode to convert VIDEO_TS/DVD format to mp4 or mkv... although a WD Media Player will play the VIDEO_TS (or ISO file) folder preserving menus, etc.

wainuitech
14-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Gave up on many of the rippers, either takes to long or the finished result was :yuck::yuck:.

Now when ever required I simply user Vidcoder http://vidcoder.net/ It actually uses Handbrake as its encoding engine.

Wont do copy protected DVD's -- But that's a different story.

Really simple to use, you can select either MP4, MKV format as an output, and Via the Settings change many options should you want to, or simply use as is.

BBCmicro
14-04-2016, 03:17 PM
I simply user Vidcoder

I've become a fan of Vidcoder (for re-encoding not ripping). It lets me choose a part of a file :) and can encode using integrated graphics, which is VERY fast

SurferJoe46
14-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Don't know if this was considered or not, but many VHS tapes have security protection systems that tear the recorded picture and make the audio garbled when they 'sense' they are being copied.

We had to use the oatmeal box work-around.

Knownothing
14-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Hi 1101
WARNING!!
Take care when using a WD Media Player that's connected to the TV.
I have the WD Live TV Media Player connected to my TV with a 64GB flash drive with video files. The video files are in different formats.
The WD player randomly changes some files into folder icons with the original file name!!

Windows will see all file/s but the converted file can't be seen by the Media Player.
Windows may have trouble deleting the file.
The file is then lost forever.
I have searched the net and WD for an answer. I was deafened by the silence from WD.

The only answer is to make sure you have a backup of your video files.

autechre
18-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi 1101
WARNING!!
Take care when using a WD Media Player that's connected to the TV.
I have the WD Live TV Media Player connected to my TV with a 64GB flash drive with video files. The video files are in different formats.
The WD player randomly changes some files into folder icons with the original file name!!

Windows will see all file/s but the converted file can't be seen by the Media Player.
Windows may have trouble deleting the file.
The file is then lost forever.
I have searched the net and WD for an answer. I was deafened by the silence from WD.

The only answer is to make sure you have a backup of your video files.

hmmm the only time I've seen my WD TV live change a name is if I do the IMDB lookup on a movie. It then changes the name in its own little database to whatever the movie is called, the files on the HDD are unaffected.