PDA

View Full Version : Query about satellite internet

Lovelee
12-04-2016, 04:04 PM
We are with Farmside, have been for 6 yrs or so. Paying many dollars a month.

Lately, our net drops off frequently in the morning & mid evening. Weve tested with hardwire and it remains off... weve turned off and on everything to reset but no change.

Yesterday a tech at Farmside told us it must be a problem wire from the dish to the modem, asked us to disconnect wires for half an hour and see how it was .. fine last night, but this morning again, disconnected - until we rang them, (now they want us to pay 150 for someone to come out and check it) but after we hung up, back it came strong as.

Often we will ring them cos its bone slow .. immediately it reverts to 'unleashed' which appears to be about 5g.

Is it probable they they can tweak the speed up and down? Weve paid them many thousands of dollars and get sweet F all in return.

We have no alternative suitable net connections for our area. What are yr thoughts, and what would u do about this?

wratterus
12-04-2016, 04:44 PM
I know a few people who feel that farmside has been getting worse recently. Maybe they're oversubscribed? Not sure. There is another company, I think wireless nation also offer satellite internet, and seem to be able to promise a better connection than farmside - I think the satellite they use is in lower geosynchronous orbit? Or something like that. In theory it's supposed to mean less latency on the connection. I've never been able to test a connection to see how it goes.

Can you got get any RBI or mobile coverage where you are?

http://wirelessnation.co.nz/rural/products/product/?option=com_wirelessnation&view=product_rural&catid=2

Lovelee
12-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Whats RBI? We cant get mobile here, its around us - but at this stage its not close enough and Voda & Telecom are still saying 5years. Small village, isolated, superannuitants :( We used Wireless Nation years ago .. till they started to slacken up.

I want to approach the 'head dude' of Farmside but Im not sure who to go to, the parent company or them ... we pay 260pm for 14g peak time & 40g off peak ... over 6 years = $18k+ ...

And I do want to know if its possible for the company to tweak the speed ....

Lovelee
12-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Oh Broadband ... NO .. bone of contention here

pctek
13-04-2016, 08:28 AM
We have no alternative suitable net connections for our area. What are yr thoughts, and what would u do about this?

They are not the only satellite providers around.
I haven't looked for ages but when we were down South Wireless Nation were considerably cheaper (and no-one had heard of them).

Look up the different providers for satellite and change to one of them.

apsattv
14-04-2016, 09:04 AM
At this time of year there are solar outages that will cause the signal to dropout for 5 to 15 minutes.

dugimodo
14-04-2016, 11:35 AM
RBI = Rural Broadband initiative. Info here https://www.chorus.co.nz/our-network/rural-broadband/rbi They are focussing mainly on schools though so unless you live near a school it may not be of that much use.
Worth checking the broadband coverage map every now and again, things do occasionally change.

As to what to do about it, there's not really anything except trying other providers as others have suggested. That's just the reality of living in small remote areas. You can try contacting some of the larger ISPs just in case they have a solution in your area.

Lawrence
14-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Have a few around me on Netsmart and are happy with the service,looking to moving there myself http://www.netsmart.nz/ ,they cover the Waikato as well

gary67
14-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Friend of mine hotspots her cellphone way cheaper than using farmside

wratterus
14-04-2016, 03:45 PM
So you've got no cell reception at all at your house?