PDA

View Full Version : 'RAM Booster' debate.

01-01-2002, 09:44 AM
After making a posting on this group, someone told F1 about a program called EasyCleaner at http://www.toniarts.com/index.htm I found it picks up 'path names' to files I have had on the computer and deleted, given as errors. I told this to a friend, He went to the URL and down-loaded it to fix up (or apply maintenance) to on of his friends computer, Then the friend got back to me and said at the web site there was a great write up on a program called 'RAM Booster'

Now before I go any further I should say if I named the program I would call it 'RAM Realise' because that is what it does, as you close a program down, it appears the computer still holds on to memory, If you keep your computer always running, you get to a stage where the computer 'goes AWOL' and you have to reboot the computer, to force release the memory.

Now I wrote a short story about these two programs and put it on a E-mail group as 'Computer talk & Holiday Chat' I don't know why it appears some people CAN NOT READ because he (I will call LE) immediately jumped up his nose and ran my story into the ground in front of the whole group, One comment he made is 'I would be better off installing more RAM' yet this is not the issue I was tring to point out, and having more memory would just delay the time before you have to reboot to 'force realise' memory. To read or get 'RAM Booster' go to http://www.webmasterfree.com/booster.html

Has anybody out their tried 'RAM Booster' and wish to comment on it? ON EXPERIENCE THEY HAVE HAD and not what they think it is all about.

01-01-2002, 11:48 AM
Well, I think I've tried most of the free ram defragmenters, including Ram Booster, but came to the conclusion, at least on my set-up (Win98SE)that they didnt do all that much, and that more ram indeed is the best way to go. My swap file is almost nearly always reported as 0Mb, with plenty of free memory, maybe I dont have programs that retain memory indefinitely.
Also maybe you should re-boot once a day anyway so that you get a fresh back-up of the registry (just in case!)

If you only have 64MB of ram then the various ram booster programs seem to be worth running.

01-01-2002, 02:10 PM
been there tried that ;)

unless you are using very buggy programs which are not releasing the memory then 'ram boosters' don't do a lot. its a catch 22, you run a program to make things a bit quicker but the prog itself eats memory and more importantly resources.

also you have to remember is windows likes to keep things in memory for a while so its quicker to load up something you were useing before. eg if i play a game, exit it, then go back and start playing again it will reload out of memory very fast insteaded of having to reload it from the hardrive.

01-01-2002, 10:49 PM
To be honest the only reason I tried it was a computer friend suggested it, I have 320 Meg of RAM and was only interested in the 'Memory release' part (NOT the 'RAM booster' appeal). I whould say at a rough guess any Windows 98 computer would need at least 150 Meg of Ram, (not too sure what it would be with games)

While I have only had it a few days the novelty is beginning to wear off, maybe in a few weeks the great 'shift-delete' might be done.