PDA

View Full Version : Belkin Router

bruciebear
12-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Had this router for 2 years has worked well. Just lately it has lost connection with my Laptop a lot and have to reboot it. Is it time for a new router. I am in Auckland our street does not have fibre yet but the connection speed is very good.
It does coincide with me connecting the Wi-Fi box to my Sky Box but I cant see that that would cause problems?
Any thoughts.
I am a light user and don't watch movies on line or games or downloads just a bit of You Tube.
If I need a new router any suggestions? Cheers.

12-04-2016, 01:40 PM
when you loose wifi connection, try connecting with a network cable & see if that works . There might be other wifi issues happening (less likely)
If the router is freezing/hanging, replace it .

I would just have a look on trademe. Wifi routers are worth nothing on trademe, even when near new.
I cant even get $30 for my year old ASUS adsl wifi router on trademe, but I did buy a nice,almost new, higher spec TP-Link dirt cheap :-)

Ive never liked the Belkins. Only ones Ive seen were faulty .

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Or update the firmware on it. Or update the drivers for the wireless

dugimodo
12-04-2016, 04:07 PM
I have a theory that many home routers die due to poor cooling design, most I've had get very hot. I built myself a cooler and stability improved markedly. It's just a case fan in a box blowing air up under the router, conveniently my previous dead router had a 12V power supply and case fans run on 12V.

Make sure it's not in direct sunlight near a window and is in a well ventilated area. Check for any potential sources of interference if it turns out just to be the wi-fi. Connecting the sky box could effect the stability a bit if it was already marginal, easy to check - disconnect it and see what happens.

Move any wireless devices, cordless phones, microwave ovens, and Nuclear power plants you might have away from the router.

Chilling_Silence
12-04-2016, 05:27 PM
I have a theory that many home routers die due to poor cooling design, most I've had get very hot. I built myself a cooler and stability improved markedly. It's just a case fan in a box blowing air up under the router, conveniently my previous dead router had a 12V power supply and case fans run on 12V.

Agreed. Cooling helps a *lot* on the cheaper routers. Had a router at my parents place that was in a warmer part of the house, keeping a small desk fan aimed at it would last for weeks on end. Take the fan off it and it'd overheat twice daily.

Are you after suggestions on an ADSL2+, VDSL2 or a UFB router?