PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, I'm back

ianhnz
06-04-2016, 12:01 PM
My computer guy, who did a fresh install of Windows 10 on both our computers, has asked me to run AdwCleaner each day, along with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender.
The last two are fine, as I've set up to run each night, after we gone to bed, but the AdwCleaner I have to run each day.
Any idea if possible to automate this?
Pretty sure was easier in olden days, but with 10, I have no idea.
:thanks
Ian

wratterus
06-04-2016, 12:37 PM
I would say that's very unnecessary...

Always recommend NOD32 for AV, but if you don't want to pay for an AV, defender is just OK - very basic. I would run malwarebytes and ADWCleaner maybe monthly, or if you suspect something may have sneaked in.

06-04-2016, 02:15 PM
My computer guy, who did a fresh install of Windows 10 on both our computers, has asked me to run AdwCleaner each day, along with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender.
The last two are fine, as I've set up to run each night, after we gone to bed, but the AdwCleaner I have to run each day.
Any idea if possible to automate this?
Pretty sure was easier in olden days, but with 10, I have no idea.
:thanks
Ian

get a new "computer guy"
its a load of nonsense.

If security is such a concern that you need to run all that, every day, why the bl88dy hell did he leave you with WinDefender ???

is there more to this storey?
been having alot of repeat infectons?

dugimodo
06-04-2016, 02:32 PM
You can use the windows scheduler to launch tasks but not sure if adware cleaner can be launched to start scanning automatically or not.
In any case I'd not bother with it, let Defender and Malwarebytes do their thing and add a monthly scan with NOD32's online scan tool.
Couple that with some common sense browsing habits and you should be fine.

Me personally, I have defender and malwarebytes on default settings and never run a scan on either. Every 6 months or so I get paranoid and think I should do something so I run a bunch of different scans and never find anything. A lot of it comes down to browsing habits.

Some reminders, I think it's been long enough. These are just as important as any anti-virus software.
NEVER click on anything that pops up from a website and claims you have malware or viruses, ALWAYS close those windows immediately. If you are worried run your own scans.
NEVER open unknown attachments on E-mails.
If you get a message saying you need to renew any kind of security or password setting, never follow a link - always manually navigate to the official website yourself and check it out. Some password resets do require you to click a link from an E-mail but unless you started the process yourself don't click those either.
On a PC being paranoid is a good thing, be suspicious of everything especially if it's offering help you didn't ask for.
Always do custom installs and read what every check box is for when installing software.
Special note for Flash player - untick the box on the download page or you'll get Mccaffee bundled with the installer and no option to skip it.

wainuitech
06-04-2016, 02:46 PM
get a new "computer guy"
its a load of nonsense.

If security is such a concern that you need to run all that, every day, why the bl88dy hell did he leave you with WinDefender ???

is there more to this storey?
been having alot of repeat infectons? Agree with that and what wratterus posted as well.

Every day -- ?????? Must be visiting some VERY dodgy sites to have to do that.:illogical

I got Nod32 set to its maximum protection (smart security) on all ours here, on the lounge PC its always stopping something, and that's because of the movie & giveawaysites sometimes, but about once a month -- OK maybe every other month If I remember, I will run malwarebytes and EEK, only once ever found something with EEK, and even then it was a false positive.

One that fools a lot of people is when a message pops up saying your Flash player is out of date, click here to update -- Yeah right.

One program you may want to run daily, certainly helps is Ccleaner, gets rid of any junk.

tut
06-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Ive been fooled by the pop ups about outdated flash player and clicked on the link. What has it given me?

dugimodo
06-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Flash player comes bundled with a MacAfee security app and I think an Intel password manager, they aren't exactly malware but it's still a underhanded way to get on peoples PC's. They can be found and removed in the add remove programs list at least.

I'm not sure about the Intel thing, might have come from somewhere else. Certain about MacAfee though.

wainuitech
06-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Ive been fooled by the pop ups about outdated flash player and clicked on the link. What has it given me? Theres two types guess you can say, the fake ones that will try to install malware, or take you off to other sites and the real flash player.
The easiest way to check is go to adobes site manually, and test it, it will soon tell you if its out of date. Google test flash player and select this address ( or click on this link) https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html Press the " Check now" and it will tell you if its up to date or not.

The "Extra's" dugimodo mentioned are pre selected from adobe - untick them and they wont install. Many people simply DONT LOOK :stare: at what they are downloading.

See red Square middle of picture below.

tut
06-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks wainuitech. Mostly it crops up on my smartphone so I will just ignore it for now.

07-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Flash player comes bundled with a MacAfee security app and I think an Intel password manager,.

I thought the Mcaffe brand was going to be killed/rebranded off by the new owners ?
Did they change their mind ?

Its a sad state of affairs when your AV brand needs to rely on dirty tricks : bundling into java/flash updates in the hope users will click without reading.

ianhnz
11-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys.
I posted this a we while back and got a few answers.
I just posted a new problem and see a lot more answers.
I guess I musta missed one, that stops the rest coming through.
I guess I'm just a tad paranoid, as to doing daily scans.
Used to do that for years.
I do run CC most days.
Amazing the junk it picks up, but no virus.