PDA

View Full Version : Potential printer problem

R.M.
05-04-2016, 12:10 PM
I have a Canon Pixma IP 8500 inkjet printer - had it for a while now, but not sure how long. I use it for printing photos for Club Competition (and other uses) which need a reasonable quality output.

I am now (intermittently) getting a message:
'Waste ink absorber is almost full'

Searches on the Net suggest that the service for this would be beyond my abilities and quite costly.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone here have any knowledge of working with this problem to solve it? ?Cost
2. Suggestions for a replacement? I have been very happy with my Canon printer, and have a printer profile and a calibration set-up, allowing me to print what I see on my screen... Took me ages to get it all set up.

A comment - I am now beginning to find the A4 somewhat limiting, but my photography is hobby only. I have no intentions of going professional!

As always - thanks for your comments and help. :)

wainuitech
05-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Try This, done resets before sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Keep in mind that if the the waste is getting full it WILL happen again.

With the printer powered off, hold down the resume button and press the power button.

While holding down the power button, release the resume button and press the resume button twice in succession. Now release the power button.

The indicator will blink in green and remain lit in green.

Select one of the following service mode functions by pressing the “RESUME Button” the specified number of times. ( 4 is what you want)

1 time = Service test print.
2 times = EEPROM information print.
3 times = EEPROM initialization
4 times = Waste ink counter resetting
5 times = Destination settings
6 times = Print head deep cleaning

Then press the “Power Button” one time to perform the function just selected.

pctek
05-04-2016, 02:14 PM
In the base of the printer is a large absorbant pad (runs whole width of the base) and this pad soaks up the ink expelled from the print head during cartridge priming and cleaning. The manufacturer bases the size of the pad to be large enough to last the average working life of the printer but should it go on beyond it's expected life is has a service warning based on a page count to prevent the risk of this pad overflowing and leaking ink out of the base.

Because the pad is for the life of the printer it is not designed to be user replaceable and requires a major printer strip to replace.

You can have this pad replaced by any local printer technician.

I'd give it a go myself first.

R.M.
05-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Local printer tech - in Invercargill??

wainuitech
05-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Being an older printer you have to look at how much it would cost to repair compared to binning it and buying a new one. By the time you pay for the parts (if you can get them) and labor, often the price of repairs are exceed by several times the price of new.

R.M.
05-04-2016, 05:21 PM
I thought that would be the case :(

I've done as you said, Wainui, but haven't tested it yet. But I did say that the problem was intermittent, and if one thing was drummed into my head by the 'Dearly Departed', was that intermittent electronic problems were difficult to problem-solve and fix.

Nomad
05-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Photo printer I take it? :D

Yeah you have to dismantle the printer and replace the pads. But really photo printers are so cheap on Trademe more so than eBay USA. You could just pick up an A4 printer for less than $50 potentially or even a A3+ printer for under $200.

However if you google around for a software resetter. You can reset the warning the printer gives you and continue printing (with risks). But if the pads are not overflowing it could provide you some more time ....

I think I saw a used Canon Pro 9000 A3+ printer for under $100.

R.M.
05-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Photo printer - yes, I know - not economical...

I'll start looking on Trademe, although I had a bad experience there a few years ago.:(

Nomad
05-04-2016, 06:37 PM
It provides more control if you have it all set up and I think with paper and ink costs like the usual Epson / Canon stuff not the cheap stuff nor the premium fine art papers it might be about 20-30% cheaper than labs if you are doing A4 prints. If you are doing 6x4 or 5x7 it is a no brainer to use the labs from a cost point of view :) I think the inkjet 6x4 papers are around 60c a piece of 6x4 and that's not including the ink.

I've had a used Epson 2200 for about 8yrs now. There is just no way I save the money from the difference of doing it myself and what the labs cost to save back $1,500NZ of what A3 photo printers cost.

You missed this :)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/printers/ink-jet-bubble-jet/auction-1050364226.htm