PDA

View Full Version : New printer time

gary67
04-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Well it looks like the print head might have died on my trusty old Canon Pixma IP4700, the errors I'm getting are for that fault according to Dr Google.

I'm needing a new printer so any recommendations, it needs to be an inkjet although I'm open to suggestions but it must do colour, and have auto duplex as well as be networkable also be reasonably priced and the same for running costs..

I need colour as I print maps for backcountry trips.

dugimodo
04-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Laser not an option at all? apart from photo printing they do everything else better and cheaper.

I Like my brother multifunction a lot more than my pervious printers, I did have an Epson that was a really good inkjet but it just cost too much for the ink to be worth it.
Personally I say get a colour laser and use one of those photo printing machines in a store for any photos you really want a print of.

wainuitech
04-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Laser not an option at all? apart from photo printing they do everything else better and cheaper.

I Like my brother multifunction a lot more than my pervious printers, I did have an Epson that was a really good inkjet but it just cost too much for the ink to be worth it.
Personally I say get a colour laser and use one of those photo printing machines in a store for any photos you really want a print of. Agree there :) Have a look at the Brother range, they do cashbacks all the time.

BUT --- One inkjet they currently have DCP-J4120DW
Overview

The DCP-J4120DW is ideal for the smaller office, giving users a compact, stylish inkjet with A3 print capabilities. Plus built-in wireless makes connecting easy.
They have a $100 cashback. Lets just say If I were to get it at dealers price they would be paying me to take it (serious).

More than likely a bit over the top for what you want, but the colour Laser MFC9140CDN or MFC9340CDW Both have a $200 cashback.

Check out their promotions http://www.brother.co.nz/Public/Promotions

The cashbacks work well, I actually got a colour laser not so long ago cost me $34 (thirty Four) after cashback. Buy the product, go to their site ( above) fill out the details and within 10 day ( 3 in my case) the cashback money turns up in your account. :) The one I got is the Brother HL3150CDN $100 Cashback currently.

Specs:
Overview

With print speeds of up to 18 pages per minute, the new Brother colour LED printer has all the features you need for an efficient office. Also offering 2-sided, high quality printing, network capability and a 250 sheet lower paper tray, the HL-3150CDN is the star performer you can always count on. Up to 18ppm colour and mono printing, Automatic 2-Sided (duplex) printing, 250 sheet lower paper tray
on Price spy some places have them for around $150. Get the cash back - costs ya about $50 :D

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1879909

gary67
05-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks Guys, laser does look to be the way to go. I'll talk to the finance department tonight and see if I can get some funds released.

pctek
05-04-2016, 08:22 AM
The main criteria I look for is the consumables.
Laser or ink, it makes no difference.

1)How many pages does the cartridge or toner do?
2)How much is that toner or cartridge?

Maximum pages for minimum cost.

wainuitech
05-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Main problem I hate with inkjets is the inks dry out and evaporate if not used. Been to many customers places where they complain they have only printed off a couple of pages and the inks gone when they come back to do more.

Toners -- never dry out, worse they do is settle, its only a case of removing the cartridge give it a shake and its back up and going again.

05-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Inkjets (Canon being the worst) spend so long doing automatic cleaning cycles, often.

I want to print 1 page. Its been a week so the canon will first automatically to a long, noisy cleaning cycle
It then prints the 1 page......and then does another long, noisey cleaning cycle .

These cleaning cycles are whats using most of my ink....coincidence that printer manufactures make all their inkjet profits from ink carts & they now do so
many cleaning cycles ?
I'll never by another canon inkjet . A pitty as otherwise I like like them.

paulw
05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Bought one of these for the wife's church the other week http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=PTRBRT9140&name=BROTHER-MFC9140CDN-Colour-Laser-MFP-($200-Cashback

Not a bad printer for the price after cashback..

Lawrence
05-04-2016, 07:13 PM
This has come up on Choice Cheapies Epson 220 $59 https://www.cheapies.nz/node/6169

Have the 200 model (now updated to the 220) , cheap compatible inks for these models

Driftwood
05-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Regarding the inkjets.
With all our technology, you would think someone would come up with a program/app that will do a scheduled printout to prevent the ink drying in the jets.

gary67
05-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Bit the bullet and just ordered one of these HL3150CDN. The canon has gone completely, luckily before I bought new ink to replace the 3 empties in it.

Nomad
05-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't laser be more economical?

With inkjets you hear people who have not used them yeah the ink evaporate and that the print head can block up and if you attempt head cleans it may not fix the issue. That is what I heard but for me I have been quite lucky. For I use it for photo's and photos do look better with inkjets. Ie - proper photo's not just casual stuff that many may be ok with ...

Greg
05-04-2016, 09:17 PM

With inkjets you hear people who have not used them yeah the ink evaporate and that the print head can block up and if you attempt head cleans it may not fix the issue.
Happened to me exactly, Nomad. I have to go buy a new cartridge even though it's rarely used.. *sigh* :(

gary67
05-04-2016, 09:48 PM

With inkjets you hear people who have not used them yeah the ink evaporate and that the print head can block up and if you attempt head cleans it may not fix the issue. That is what I heard but for me I have been quite lucky. For I use it for photo's and photos do look better with inkjets. Ie - proper photo's not just casual stuff that many may be ok with ...
Which is why I went for the Laser Wainui recommended

wainuitech
05-04-2016, 10:06 PM
When setting them up, I simply use the software defaults ( with the exception of any registering etc- unless you want to)

Anyone would think I like brother printers :D All lasers

BTW the others listed are PDF printers, MS XPS, send to one note etc

Nomad
05-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Happened to me exactly, Nomad. I have to go buy a new cartridge even though it's rarely used.. *sigh* :( Sometimes the print head clogs up so ink carts won't help.... Know a person who spent $1,500 on a A3 photo printer new and threw it away.

dugimodo
06-04-2016, 12:49 PM
I think you'll be happy with laser, the tend to print much faster as well and you don't need to let anything dry :) Perfect for maps I'd think.

As for the inkjet story, if you print a lot and don't care about colour accuracy then cheap generic ink cartridges can save you heaps. If however you leave the printer unused for weeks or months at a time the cheap cartridges are much worse than the proper ones at evaporating in my experience.

What happened to me frequently;- I'd buy a full set of cartridges, do 3 or 4 prints, then not use the printer for a few months only to discover the ink has disappeared usually printing in one or 2 colours and very poorly. Now I have the laser, it sits there in standby quite happily and bursts into life and reliably spits out a page every now and again when I need it to. At the rate I use it, it will be obsolete before I run out of toner.

I have a 6 colour Epsom photo printer on the shelf with a coating of dust on it just because I have a problem throwing away a fully functional printer. Originally bought it for it's ability to print on CD/DVDs but ended up abandoning that too.

gary67
08-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Just picked up the printer from the courier service will connect tonight

gary67
08-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Took less time to set everything up than it did to remove all the Canon stuff from both computers

wainuitech
08-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Mines setup as a networked printer, attached to the Router. Sure beats having to have one specific computer turned on to print. Trouble is having 3 printers, if not careful send the print to the wrong printer.

Did that the other day, wasn't really looking and printed everything to the one in the workshop OOPS :blush:

gary67
09-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Mines setup as a networked printer, attached to the Router. Sure beats having to have one specific computer turned on to print. Trouble is having 3 printers, if not careful send the print to the wrong printer.

Did that the other day, wasn't really looking and printed everything to the one in the workshop OOPS :blush:

Yep plugged into router but so was the old printer as we have the Fritzbox which doubles as a print server, though this time I have gone full network and not into the USB