PDA

View Full Version : ASUS - RAID configuration general questions

Nomad
04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Hi all

With my Core 2 Quad just playing around with the diff RAID configuration for curiosity.

Relax my system and data drive and its external are not connected. :blush:

1. Can you have multiple RAID configurations like a RAID 0 and a RAID 1?
2. Can you have a single disk non RAID as well as a RAID 0/1?

Thanks.

chiefnz
04-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Hi all

With my Core 2 Quad just playing around with the diff RAID configuration for curiosity.

Relax my system and data drive and its external are not connected. :blush:

1. Can you have multiple RAID configurations like a RAID 0 and a RAID 1?
2. Can you have a single disk non RAID as well as a RAID 0/1?

Thanks.

1. Yes if you have multiple RAID Controllers.
2. Yes, refer to 1. above. Just have the second controller not configured for RAID.

If this is a consumer board you're unlikely to have more than one disk controller so will need to purchase an additional card. I'd use the add-on RAID card for raid purposes and the motherboard based one for non-raid configs.

cheers,

Nomad
04-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks. This is just the ASUS motherboard.

Nomad
04-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Bummer. Maybe the board is too old. In the past I got it to work in XP with a driver via the A: Drive. I don't have a A Drive these days. So that rules out WinXP.

Win7 both the x32 and the x64 after I loaded the driver (both the ASUS one and the Intel downloaded one) it installs Windows and then at the end says "Window Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware".

Anyway I just wanted to run a RAID 0 and do a disk speed test.

Edit - ok windows issue now working
Shift F10
Type -
Cd..
Cd..
Cd c:\windows\system32\oobe
Msoobe

04-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Thanks. This is just the ASUS motherboard.

Dont bother. Save yourself some future hassles .
Onboard RAID on consumer level motherboards are more trouble than they are worth.
Use Win & setup a software raid if you really must .

If only 1 drive, then dont enable the onboard raid function
yes , some motherboards allow that to be enabled with a single drive :badpc:

Nomad
04-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Question for curiosity - with a RAID 0 using the consumer motherboard. If a HDD fails, are you able to reload the Windows System Image after replacing the HDD or do you need to install everything?

autechre
05-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Question for curiosity - with a RAID 0 using the consumer motherboard. If a HDD fails, are you able to reload the Windows System Image after replacing the HDD or do you need to install everything?

If you lose a drive in Raid 0 on *any* motherboard/controller, you need to reinstall everything. Half your data will have disappeared with the dead drive. There is no redundancy with Raid 0.

05-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Question for curiosity - with a RAID 0 using the consumer motherboard...

and God help you if the motherboard fails. You wont be able to just read the data off a HD :)
It might turn into an expensive raid data recovery .
Not a big deal if you have backups though .

Nomad
05-04-2016, 05:43 PM
If you lose a drive in Raid 0 on *any* motherboard/controller, you need to reinstall everything. Half your data will have disappeared with the dead drive. There is no redundancy with Raid 0.

I know it fails but could you reload the image backup? Maybe it won't work cos the hardware are diff and you need to rebuild your RAID?

Nomad
05-04-2016, 05:44 PM
and God help you if the motherboard fails. You wont be able to just read the data off a HD :)
It might turn into an expensive raid data recovery .
Not a big deal if you have backups though .

Oh yeah ... :D

05-04-2016, 05:55 PM
I know it fails but could you reload the image backup? Maybe it won't work cos the hardware are diff and you need to rebuild your RAID?

???
An image should just copy across to the Hard drive, be that a single non raid drive or a raid0/1/whatever , assuming its not some nasty semi software raid device.
The software you use to re-image , should just see the new raid as a single drive .
Ive re-imaged to different machines that had different raid controllers with different drives.

Nomad
05-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Thanks. I thought given the diff / newer HDs the old system might not work.

06-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks. I thought given the diff / newer HDs the old system might not work.

It also depends on just how cheap & nasty the onboard raid is.
Avoid the cheap consumer level onboard raid , save yourself some future grief.