PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Ultimate will not install

mzee
03-04-2016, 09:55 AM
I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell Inspiron laptop. Drive has 3 primary NTFS partitions.
The drive is: ATA WDC WD5000 PVX-7

I get an error message:
"Windows can not be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

I have never had this happen before, what is the problem, and what to do?

Bryan
03-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Could you format the drive as NTFS?

feersumendjinn
03-04-2016, 10:08 AM
This may help
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=change+partition+type+gpt+to+mbr&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=JTQAV8KiD4fImwW59L7QDQ

linw
03-04-2016, 10:45 AM
It's getting a nuisance. Tried to copy a laptop drive plugged into my USB dock but no go. Turned out it was GPT. Had to attach it to my computer internal sata to read it.

mzee
03-04-2016, 09:09 PM
It's getting a nuisance. Tried to copy a laptop drive plugged into my USB dock but no go. Turned out it was GPT. Had to attach it to my computer internal sata to read it.

They are getting far too clever. I Googled the problem and was informed that GPT would not accept a 32bit OS, so I downloaded a W7 64bit, which was deleted by Chrome with the message "an iso file could be detrimental to your computer!" I downloaded it again with Opera, no problem. GPT still wouldn't accept it! I booted with Puppy Linux and used Gparted/Device/?table. This wiped all my NTFS partitions leaving the drive blank. This time Windows installed but I now have one partition of over 400GB, which is what the manufacturers did originally. I like to place my Data on another partition separate from Windows. I have backed it up to an image & will try to shrink the partition & make another one.

mzee
04-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Now sorted the partition problem, but the W7 DVD doesn't have any Network drivers so I have to download some with another computer, or go back to W10 which found all the drivers. I will probably just restore the Image of W10.

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2016, 04:19 PM
32 bit doesnt support UEFI or secureboot. And it doesnt support USB 3 when you install it. So you have to use a USB 2 port. Unless you add drivers

mzee
05-04-2016, 09:31 PM
I made a msdos partition table and 3 primary partitions, then I downloaded a fresh copy of Windows 10 which custom installed with no problems, only had to find a couple of small drivers. Its very fast and stable. Been a very good learning curve for me, I never had any knowledge of Partition tables before :)