PDA

View Full Version : Rename Printer In CUPS/Puppy

SurferJoe46
29-03-2016, 05:44 PM
OK - I've been happily teasing this dog - and I love it! Really!

I've gotten into the CUPS management thingy, and I deleted a printer that was not working correctly - I'll 'rescan' for it later after I download the correct sfs file for the driver. I think it's required that I do that ---- I think so anyway.

What I need to know is how to rename a printer in CUPS. The current name of my Kodak printer is about 100 alpha-numeric symbols long and I want to contract it to 'KODAK'.

This is the command lines I've used so far to get rid of the MP250 (Thank-you, Google!)

$ cupsreject printer-MP250

$ cupsdisable MP250

$ lpadmin -x MP250 this verifies that the printer has been deleted

$ lpstat -p MP250 -l sends a message indicating the printer does not exist and to confirm that the printer has been deleted on the print server.

$ lpstat -p MP250 -l sends a message re-indicating that the printer does not exist.

I do not find a way to shorten the Kodak printer's long, long name, and I can't c/p into the command box, so I have to type it in manually every time I need to work on it.

I think I have CUPS set up to make me enter the choice of printer manually, and I'd like to make my Canon MF3111 as default later on - after rediscovery. I'm working on that myself and I'm pretty proud that I'm entering code in that box.

Lookie me! I'm writing code! :thumbs:

KarameaDave
29-03-2016, 06:01 PM
I am unsure if slackware is similar to ubuntu in printer regards
but the following link tells how to edit the printer name directly.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=809577

SurferJoe46
29-03-2016, 06:05 PM
sudo cp /etc/cups/printers.conf ~
sudo gedit /etc/cups/printers.conf

Is 'sudu' part of the command or should I change it to some sort of Slack* derivative?

Speedy Gonzales
30-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Have a look at #3 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=809577)

KarameaDave
30-03-2016, 09:32 AM
sudo cp /etc/cups/printers.conf ~
sudo gedit /etc/cups/printers.conf

Is 'sudu' part of the command or should I change it to some sort of Slack* derivative?

I think that Puppy has you running as root by default.
This means that the sudo part of the command is unnecessary.

Try running those commands without it.

SurferJoe46
30-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Ah yes....I forgot that "root" is sortta like "admin" in my old unnamed opsys.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I see the past ..... faintly.