PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade advice

Pato
28-03-2016, 11:07 AM
My HDD shows some bad sectors and I will need to get it replaced. I am unable to do so myself.
Perhaps a good time to upgrade the 2010 build.

Specs: CPU: Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.8GHz. Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX. RAM: Kingston Hyper X 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 Non ECC. HDD: WD !TB.
GRAPHICS: Asus GTX460, Direct CU 1GB GDDR5 256bit video graphics card. PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W. CASE: Cooler Master Gladiator.

I was thinking of getting a 250GB SSD drive for win7 OS, and, of course, replacing the faulty 1TB drive, perhaps with an additional SSD drive.? Any suggestions of which Brands to seek please.?

It is probably a good time to install win10. I did an image backup of my present win7 with some errors, so I guess that it will be of little use?

I would welcome any suggestions or advice please.

Lawrence
28-03-2016, 01:22 PM
What does Hard Drive Sentinel say? http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Recently had a HD go and Hard Drive Sentinel gave lots of info including critical and was going to die in 20 days,would pay to get a image of your system if you can and put it on another Drive so it will give you a chance to upgrade to Win 10 later

If left to long you will forfeit your chance to upgrade if it dies(mine crapped out very quickly)

Pato
28-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Lawrence. Have you any advice re my upgrade please.?

Lawrence
28-03-2016, 05:57 PM
I am in the same boat as you regarding a SSD,will be doing this next and have been watching Samsung 850 which seems to be the benchmark ATM at $159 on Pricespy

Think there is plenty here using the Samsung 840/850 but other brands are catching up

dugimodo
28-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Samsung 850 evo series is the most popular for good reason
Crucial is another good option that might be slightly cheaper but personally I'd go for the Samsung.

Pato
28-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Thanks. Will specify that for SSD. Any other suggestions.? I guess my image backup of win7 will be of no use. I will be looking at win10 probably sooner now.

I was waiting until all the bugs were sorted out and watching progress reports on the forum.

dugimodo
28-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Go here for windows 10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and use the media creation tool to make a bootable DVD or flash drive.
Then install a fresh copy of windows 10 using your windows 7 key, I think that's right, Wainuitech can confirm. If not you'd need to install 7 first then upgrade. Either way the fresh install option is the way to go even if upgrading from 7.

Make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI mode for the Sata ports. RAID mode also works but unless you want to use RAID there's no need for that. Windows 7 or later will recognise that you are installing onto an SSD and automatically set itself accordingly so no need to change any settings. If however you did manage to make an old image work you'd need to turn of auto-defrag and maybe check a couple of other settings.

The swap file is one thing that not everyone agrees about, I personally set it to be on a storage drive to save wear and tear on my SSD. Some people advocate leaving it on the SSD for performance reasons. However with 8GB or more of RAM I don't find the swap file location makes a noticable difference to my overall performance.

Pato
29-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Appreciate your further comments dugimodo. I will need to get a local tech (it's a pity wainuitech is so far away) to do the work for me. I just wanted to get a few ideas of what I should do with

regards to an upgrade. Perhaps wainuitech will make some comments if he has time. Cheers.

Pato
29-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Probably a dumb question but someone may care to answer it please.

After getting a clean install of Win10 will I be able to read files from my external backup of Win7 HDD.?

CliveM
29-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Probably a dumb question but someone may care to answer it please.

After getting a clean install of Win10 will I be able to read files from my external backup of Win7 HDD.?

Yes no problems with that.

Pato
29-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Yes no problems with that.Thanks from another Old Guy. I wasn't sure.

Nomad
30-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Related query.

I have a ex lease laptop here. SATA II. What is your view on the brands? Crucial is cheaper, but what about OCZ or Sandisk?

What does Samsung offer over Crucial anyway?

Thanks.

dugimodo
16-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Samsung offers reputation, warranty, and a small difference in performance. I have both and in practice there's really nothing in it. Buy a reputable brand with a reasonable warranty and similar read/write specs and you'll be fine. Samsung is the most popular but the others are good too. Any brand can fail.