PDA

View Full Version : Win Live Mail overloaded

lakewoodlady
23-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi all,

I've just rolled back someone's PC to Windows 7 after they made a mistake and installed Windows 10 two days ago.
Ok, that went well and they were happy.
So I was checking things on 7 to make sure everything was working how it used to be, as you do.

In checking the Win Live Mail, I noticed that there are 9380 messages in the Deleted Items Folder! :eek: They were complaining about the program being very slow......
I have tried several things to try to empty it, but no go. Cannot empty junk folder either.

Any help much appreciated. LL

linw
24-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Any error messages?

Can you delete messages from ANY folder? If not, I would be checking the permissions on the windows live mail folder (user\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail).

Also, try deleting a message within File Explorer. Check that the Deleted and Junk folders actually have all the emails in them.

In short, are the emails there and do you have permissions set appropriately.

lakewoodlady
24-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Any error messages?

Can you delete messages from ANY folder? If not, I would be checking the permissions on the windows live mail folder (user\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail).

Also, try deleting a message within File Explorer. Check that the Deleted and Junk folders actually have all the emails in them.

Well no, I have not checked any permissions, and I certainly don't want to add any more messages to the Deleted Items, there are over 9000 of them already in there.
I may be able to permanently delete them manually, but would take a month of Sunday's to do that. Just want a way of emptying the folder really.

Don't seem to be any error messages pop up at all.

LL

wainuitech
24-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Well no, I have not checked any permissions, and I certainly don't want to add any more messages to the Deleted Items, there are over 9000 of them already in there.
I may be able to permanently delete them manually, but would take a month of Sunday's to do that. Just want a way of emptying the folder really.

Don't seem to be any error messages pop up at all.

LL Easy -- Following the path linw posted, look for the actual mail storage folder - it will be named to the mail account ( ISP) look for the Deleted Items folder, then simply right click it and delete it. It will wipe all 9000 mails, when you reopen the mail it will create automatically a new empty deleted items folder.

lakewoodlady
25-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Easy -- Following the path linw posted, look for the actual mail storage folder - it will be named to the mail account ( ISP) look for the Deleted Items folder, then simply right click it and delete it. It will wipe all 9000 mails, when you reopen the mail it will create automatically a new empty deleted items folder.

Thanks WT, I'll be seeing them next week after Easter, unless they can get someone else to do it for them over the weekend.

Thanks also linw!

Cheers LL

lakewoodlady
28-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Well, unfortunately that did not fix it WT. I tried deleting the "Deleted Items in the Storage folders as you suggested, and hmm.... It did not create a new one in the list of folders in WLM where it should have, when I re-opened WLM. Still stuck with 9000 + in the Deleted Items Folder!!!

LL

lakewoodlady
28-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Any error messages?

I found out where to set the permissions for WLM and changed them all to "Allow". But no success with emptying the "Deleted Items Folder as yet.

LL

wainuitech
28-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Well, unfortunately that did not fix it WT. I tried deleting the "Deleted Items in the Storage folders as you suggested, and hmm.... It did not create a new one in the list of folders in WLM where it should have, when I re-opened WLM. Still stuck with 9000 + in the Deleted Items Folder!!!

LL Possible you were in the wrong location. I know it works because I dumped a couple of hundred unwanted mails into mine, and deleted it, worked fine. There are several places the folder structure is listed.

Only thing I can think of is maybe some other problem was caused because it was rolled back. Its not uncommon for Live mailto have problems after a rollback.

lakewoodlady
28-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Possible you were in the wrong location. I know it works because I dumped a couple of hundred unwanted mails into mine, and deleted it, worked fine. There are several places the folder structure is listed.

Only thing I can think of is maybe some other problem was caused because it was rolled back. Its not uncommon for Live mailto have problems after a rollback.

Hmm, don't know, because they said that there was already a problem with the emails before they did the upgrade to Windows 10. But now, every time you open it, a window pops up saying that it is "Recovering the Windows Live Mail data base". I have uninstalled WLM from Version 11 to version 12, but it is still the same, cannot empty the Deleted Items Folder.

A tech is going to have a look at it tomorrow morning they said, so will just have to wait and see what he can do that I have not already tried. I'd really like to know, in case it happens to someone else that has a similar problem.

LL. ��