PDA

View Full Version : My old router has died - I think

Tony
23-03-2016, 09:13 AM
I have a very old Dynalink RTA770 router that I am using just as a switch, and I think it has died. I've lost all connectivity to stuff accessed through it, all the LAN lights are on even if nothing is plugged into it, it is feeling quite warm and I can't access the IP address.

I've tried power off/on (obviously) and I've also tried the factory reset. None of that seems to make any difference.

That all seems pretty conclusive to me, but I'd be interested in any comments/suggestions.

wratterus
23-03-2016, 11:25 AM
She's dead

Tony
23-03-2016, 11:35 AM
She's deadI fear you are right. RIP.

KarameaDave
23-03-2016, 11:53 AM
RIP?
Router In Pieces?
Routing Information Protocol.

Tony
23-03-2016, 12:07 PM
RIP?
Router In Pieces?
Routing Information Protocol.:groan: :D

KarameaDave
23-03-2016, 01:12 PM
:p

Kame
23-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Isolate the router, test it off the network with a single computer connected, seeing if you can access its web interface.

Set your computer to a manual ip for the default ip the router uses. You may have just set the router to a used IP on the network, usually the case if factory reset was done.

All the lights on, did the factory reset look as if it worked? It would have turned all the lights on then off before starting up, maybe the button is stuck in, maybe it is stuffed. Good time to open it up and see if any visible damage, rust, burn smell, etc exists.

Cheers,

KK

Tony
23-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Isolate the router, test it off the network with a single computer connected, seeing if you can access its web interface.

Set your computer to a manual ip for the default ip the router uses. You may have just set the router to a used IP on the network, usually the case if factory reset was done.

All the lights on, did the factory reset look as if it worked? It would have turned all the lights on then off before starting up, maybe the button is stuck in, maybe it is stuffed. Good time to open it up and see if any visible damage, rust, burn smell, etc exists.

Cheers,

KK

Thanks KKK. I tried accessing the router before I did the reset and couldn't get there at that point. The lights were all on before I did the reset and it made no difference. When I pressed the button with a paper clip it definitely felt like it went in and came out again.

I've taken the case off and I think there may be one bulging capacitor. It is the big one on the attached pics.

Tony
24-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Whoops! I meant "KK" of course. No offence intended.

linw
24-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Quite possibly it would come right after replacing that cap but hardly worth it, unless you like fiddling with electronics.

Tony
24-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Quite possibly it would come right after replacing that cap but hardly worth it, unless you like fiddling with electronics.No, I've no intention of trying to mend it - (a) I'm not a solder gun wiz, (b) I don't have time and (c) the thing is so old that I suspect this would just be the first of a bunch of probs.

wainuitech
24-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Seems to be the week

My Modem from Vodafone crashed and burnt on Tuesday, damn thing got so hot I'm surprised it didn't melt, I rang Vodafone they did a couple of tests, she was looking at the modem after I plugged it back in, saying its now connected , 1,2,3,4,5--Andddddddd going off line :yuck::yuck: and confirmed its buggered. ( told ya so) I can get it to work for 10-15 seconds, then it dies again. Open email - modem dies, unplug it, write mail, plug in modem internet connects send mail - BANG modem dies again.

The damn problem is being a cable modem you cant simply go and get another one, it has to come from Vodafone. So at the moment I'm tethering my phone to the laptop to get some connections. The person at Vodafone said they could give me more data for free since They cant get here till Saturday -- She didn't seem to impressed when I said Thanks but no thanks, the 1 GB they offered would be useless really as I'd use that in a matter of minutes. :(

Tony
24-03-2016, 04:53 PM
I just installed another router, borrowed from my neighbour, and everything is working perfectly straight out of the box - another indication that the Dynalink is estufido.