PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Network issues.

SphericRed
20-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Hi, I'm experiencing some very weird issues with my HP Laptop running Windows 10. Over the last week it keeps losing it's network connection. Running the Windows network troubleshooter says that the winsock registry entries are missing. So I have used DISM to repair the core settings and it all works fine again for a while, usually about half a day but sometime less than an hour, and then the same thing happens again. I assumed it was related to a recent update from Microsoft so I turned off auto updates and uninstalled the latest system update but it's still happening. I even did a roll back to about a month ago when everything was fine but the problem is still there. When it fails it also seems to take down some or all of the other network devices. A simple reset sorts that out and then everything else can connect without issue.

In addition to the laptop that is giving trouble we have a D-Link Dual Band router/modem, 3 Android phones, iPhone 6, iPad, Android tablet, Philips Hue, HP Laserjet, D-Link AP, 2 Chromecasts, HP Laptop running Ubuntu, 2 DVRs, Qnap raid server, WD Stora, Sony Android TV, powerline adapter and a Wii console connected to our network and it all works fine until the Windows 10 Laptop loses its connection. It appears to be a Windows 10 software problem but I'm struggling to find any information about a recent issue or how to fix it permanently. Is anyone else having a similar issue? Anyone got any suggestions?

Bryan
20-03-2016, 01:02 PM
I've had similar problems connecting to sites such as NZ Herald (and others). Using troubleshooter, it tells me that some protocols are missing. Booting the router (Vodafone) sorts the problem for a day or two then it's back to the problem.

feersumendjinn
20-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Was this laptop upgraded to W10? Try this
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-fix-no-wi-fi-available-issue-after-windows-10-upgrade-1513654

wainuitech
20-03-2016, 02:03 PM
There were some updates that came though a short while back that screwed up some winsocks on W10.

Try this fix, If it doesn't fix the problem then its someplace else.

Open command Prompt / run as administrator,

Run the following commands ( in bold) in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:

•Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.

•Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.

•Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.

•Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

•Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Lurking
20-03-2016, 05:20 PM
S h i t e, was this why I was told to hold off updating our replacement HP laptop !!!!!!!, from W8.1.

lurking.

Geek4414
27-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Hmm, same problem here with 4 HP ProDesk600, brand new with W8.1Pro/Downgraded to 7Pro out of box. Installed Win 10 upgrade and shortly after, lost internet connection, even though the network icon shows it is connected. Can't access any web site or local LAN share by neither name nor IP. Tried all the netsh reset tricks, uninstalled and reinstalled various versions of HP/Intel NIC driver to no avail. Strangely if I do the netsh winsock reset, it allows TeamViewer and Chrome Remote Desktop to connect but nothing else works, I can log into from another PC to them via Chrome Remote Desktop but browsing does not work, it is extremely frustrating. Have rolled back to Win7 and back couple of times, uninstalled 'most' of the HP bloatware while in Win7 and then upgraded to 10 again. It worked briefly after a few reboots, the problem came back again. Argggh.

Geek4414
27-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Also tried the Registry trick mentioned in feersumendjinn's post above with previous VPN settings, but there is no such key in these new PCs. Tried turning off Firewall and ESET, nothing fixes the problem

After upgrading to Windows 10, it will work for a unknown amount of time. Purposely restart/shutdown the PC a number of times, it continues to work and then mysteriously stops working after a reboot. The only things happened since completing the upgrade to Windows 10 if updated Spybot (it automatically force the install of new version post Win10 upgrade) and 3x Windows 10 updates ... KB3140741, KB3144756 and KB3106246. It doesn't seem to be related to either of these as the PCs continue to work after a number of reboots/shutdowns, then just decided to go weird.

The strange thing is that after the netsh resets, TeamViewer and Chrome Remote Desktop works, but none of the browsing or LAN SMB share access work. Pinging local LAN or web site names works fine, just can't browse to the internet with Chrome/Internet Explorer/Edge. Have reset all browser settings to no avail.

Just noticed a weird update when trying uninstall the above updates, there is one not shown before and dated tomorrow (28/03/16) !

Geek4414
27-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Just rebooted PC and it appears to install some updates and that weird "future" one has now vanished, but still no internet browsing

wainuitech
27-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Go into the Device Manager, open the network Connection / Driver-- See if the option to roll back to an earlier driver is available, if it is roll it back.

What build number are you using of W10 ? In other words is it a Insider build ?

Geek4414
27-03-2016, 09:34 PM
I have already roll back to previous version. Actually after rolling back to Win7, then re-upgrade after doing most of the Win7 upgrade. This time around it installed a Jan 2016 driver. Will look again later when I near my PC. I have already tried no less than 4 different drivers.

Geek4414
28-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Even trying to uninstall the updates is weird, the first update listed has no uninstall button whilst the other has, so can't even uninstall it.

Have just rolled the driver back from a 11/15 version to 3/11, still no dice, install the driver from Intel's site and it went back to 11/15. The driver date was 1/16 when first upgraded from 7 to 10, so don't know what's going on there either.

I am about to give up and roll back to Windows 7 again, got to install these PCs today, so don't have time to muck around any more.

Don't think this is Insider Preview as I haven't clicked any such option when doing the upgrade. And the fact the "Get Started" option is there means it is currently not ?

wainuitech
28-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Awhhhh going by the picture: Looks like the version you have installed is WAY out of date, ( that wont be helping I suspect) your version is 12.15 The latest is 20.7

Go to Intel's Site https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/60019/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-LM Scroll down to Windows 10, and install the latest version for Windows 10.

Being HP they may have also altered the Driver, have you looked on HP's site for any newer Drivers ?

Edited: have a look at HP's site, assuming this is the right PC, http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5404565&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192 There are newer drivers forW10

Geek4414
28-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Awhhhh going by the picture: Looks like the version you have installed is WAY out of date, ( that wont be helping I suspect) your version is 12.15 The latest is 20.7

Go to Intel's Site https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/60019/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-LM Scroll down to Windows 10, and install the latest version for Windows 10.

Being HP they may have also altered the Driver, have you looked on HP's site for any newer Drivers ?

Edited: have a look at HP's site, assuming this is the right PC, http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5404565&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192 There are newer drivers forW10

I have already done that as mentioned in my previous post, it was dated 26/01/2016. It worked fine for a few reboots and then bam all of a sudden the problem is back. The Network icons shows it is connected and has Internet access, but TeamViewer could not reach its server and has a red exclamation mark on it. Browsing does not work on any of the browsers (IE/Chrome/Edge), by either web site name nor IP address, however I can ping the web site name and it does yield the correct IP address, so definitely not a DNS issue. I can't browse any of the local SMB shares either by NetBIOS name nor IP address.

Anyway, I have given up for now and rolled them all back to Windows 7, as I am running out of time to install them on site today. I now have uninstall KB3035583 to remove the Windows 10 upgrade nag, and try to hide it, so the users wouldn't get nagged and accidentally upgrade to Windows 10 and lose network connection. Will contact HP tomorrow, surely they must have had other users affected by this.

wainuitech
28-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Will contact HP tomorrow, surely they must have had other users affected by this. There is a known problem with insider builds ( beta Builds - thats why I asked) , esp the last two I've been hit with it as well, exact same thing.

Make sure if you are using Eset / Nod32 that its the latest V9 Earlier version have been known to cause some problems on W10.

the good thing ? is now that the hardware has been activated you can put W10 back in at anytime, even after July and it should activate.

Geek4414
28-03-2016, 07:22 PM
I didn't click on any option to get the insider build when upgrading from Win7 to Win10. I walked away during the upgrade (on all four PCs), and seem to remember seeing the insider program on one of the progress screen briefly. However, going into the updates screen, it shows the "Get Started" option under the Insider Previews Build section, so I would think that means it is not an Insider Preview Build then?

All the PCs have the absolute latest version of ESET NOD32 installed, downloaded the fresh copy after initialising Windows 7 after unboxing.

Good to know that they have been activated and won't be affected by the July cut off day, so no hurry in upgrading them than.

Quick question, given the activation works on some hardware ID. Is it possible to just clone one of them after upgrading to Win10, then apply the same image onto the all the rest of the PCs? Would MS recognise the PCs being activated already previously and carry on activating the cloned drive on each PC?

I have moved a Windows 10 loaded SSD between PCs and it seem to work happily on all of them. However, all the PCs did have their copy of Windows 7 upgraded to Win10 before. It is very handy to boot various PCs with the Win10 SSD, so much faster!