PDA

View Full Version : Moving hardware between laptops

Mike
18-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Toddler vs Laptop: Toddler 1 Laptop 0 :(

If we get a replacement laptop, is it likely I'd be able to move HDD (and maybe RAM) to the replacement? Old one is a Toshiba Portege R830 (from memory...)

Still talking with insurance company so unsure on replacement if any.

Cheers,
Mike.

18-03-2016, 01:11 PM
The answer is yes...and no.
Tell us exactly what make & model the new Notebook will be :)

I have to ask why would you want to ?

Sometimes a HD swap works, just requiring re-activation of win
Sometimes a HD swap just wont load win (without some work to get win running)

Im assuming you are talking about HD swap , complete as is , with the old Win & installed programs

wratterus
18-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Well if insurance replaces it, technically the old laptop is theirs, but often they don't want it. It's possible you could move the whole hard drive, but it's definitely not recommended. You're much better off either removing the hard drive and copying the data from it using a SATA to USB adapter, or USB enclosure, or if you can keep the drive, put it in an enclosure. If the RAM is the same type, and you have a free slot on the new notebook, then you should be able to move it. If the RAM is different voltages, which is a distinct possibility, the new and old chips may not work together.

wainuitech
18-03-2016, 01:13 PM
As long as the HDD is SATA, but why bother, the newer drive would already be preloaded with a OS anyway.

Theres a VERY high chance that the OS wouldn't boot, wrong hardware, while there are ways around that, a New Laptop would have a better drive ( assuming it hasn't been changed in the past).

According to Toshiba, the model mentioned uses DDR3, if the new one also uses DDR3 it may work ( not all laptop memory works on all laptops) but if its DDR4 on the new one, then NO>

What you can do is get an empty external enclosure and turn your old drive into a external Drive, copy all your data across and wipe the drive clean, - bingo - storage drive :)

Edited: Wratt bet me to post :p

wratterus
18-03-2016, 01:25 PM
At least we're all giving him the same info. :p

wainuitech
18-03-2016, 01:55 PM
At least we're all giving him the same info. :p :eek::eek::eek: OMG !!! LOL

Mike
18-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Sorry I should have added - I'm not worried about windows and programs etc., I'm not wanting to boot from the old drive. I'm more after the files and if it would fit also the extra storage.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
18-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Im assuming you are talking about HD swap , complete as is , with the old Win & installed programsNo, just wanting the files and extra storage, not wanting to boot from it :)

Cheers,
Mike.

linw
19-03-2016, 09:52 AM
You would need the replacement to be able to take two drives. Some do, but no idea how prevalent this capability is.

Lawrence
19-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Just need 2.5"Drive Enclosure,if the new Laptop is USB 3 make sure the Enclosure is the same

wratterus
21-03-2016, 09:21 AM
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ENCJ5C0251&name=J5create-2.5-SATA-to-USB-3.0-External-Hard-Drive-E