PDA

View Full Version : Free PDF writer

notechyet
16-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Hello Members
Does anyone of you know of a free PDF writer?

dugimodo
16-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Most word processors can save directly to PDF, like Libre office for example. Or there are PDF printer drivers that act as a printer and save a file instead of printing. Google should find you one of those.

psycik
16-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Most word processors can save directly to PDF, like Libre office for example. Or there are PDF printer drivers that act as a printer and save a file instead of printing. Google should find you one of those.

Chrome does it also

notechyet
16-03-2016, 10:00 AM

Chrome does it also

@dugimodo; what I want(to suggest to my son overseas) is an editor so he write things in pDF files.
@psycik; I haven't been able to figure out how to add text to a PDF with chrome?
I know of Acrobat, though that is out of the questions as it is to costly for a student. Any other?

p.s.
I just searched online PFD editor and found PDFescape (http://www.pdfescape.com/). Has anyone of you used it? Looks promising though not sure how safe it is?

BBCmicro
16-03-2016, 10:26 AM
I think the Edge browser in Win10 allows text markup. Don't know how it deals with PDF

dugimodo
16-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm still not sure exactly what you're asking. If you want him to be able to edit existing PDF files then I can't help. It's possible but PDF is not intended to be edited and you would normally use a different format. The Idea of PDF is you save the final document in that format and then send it so anyone can read it but it can't be altered (in theory). You keep your original in whatever format is standard for the software you created it in.

If you just want him to be able to create files and save them in PDF format then any word processor should have that ability, for example Libre office as already mentioned. MS word can do it but isn't free, although many students do have it.
Write the document in word, choose save as - pick the PDF format - give it a name - done. (but also save a normal copy in case it needs further editing)

psycik
16-03-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm still not sure exactly what you're asking. If you want him to be able to edit existing PDF files then I can't help. It's possible but PDF is not intended to be edited and you would normally use a different format. The Idea of PDF is you save the final document in that format and then send it so anyone can read it but it can't be altered (in theory). You keep your original in whatever format is standard for the software you created it in.

If you just want him to be able to create files and save them in PDF format then any word processor should have that ability, for example Libre office as already mentioned. MS word can do it but isn't free, although many students do have it.
Write the document in word, choose save as - pick the PDF format - give it a name - done. (but also save a normal copy in case it needs further editing)

Google Docs can create a PDF file (ie write your document and Download As pdf). That's not quite editing though, but creation.

notechyet
16-03-2016, 12:33 PM
The main use is for completing/adding text to application forms. My son applies for a manufacturer's workshop visit and they send him a pdf to fill out. Looks nicer if typed than hand written text.

dugimodo
16-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't bother, just write on it and scan. As I said PDF format is not intended for editing and the company sending it knows this. Sure it can be done but is it really worth the effort. Just tell him to write tidy, judging his handwriting might be an intentional part of sending a PDF form.

One way that might work - use a scanner with an OCR function, covert the form to a document, edit it, convert back to PDF. Or maybe someone can suggest a PDF editor as per your original request, I think they do exist.

b....
16-03-2016, 06:29 PM
I use PDFCreator to convert all sorts of files to pdf's.

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Yup thats what I do, But I scan using Paint save it as jpg. Insert it as a pic in Word then save it as a PDF file

Since I dont have an OCR program. Used to have Canon navigator, but with the new version/build of Win10, it no longer works

wainuitech
16-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Use Nitro Reader, it has typing functions, can be a bit awkward to find -- Direct Link to downloads https://www.gonitro.com/pdf-reader/download OR if you want to fill out your name and email https://www.gonitro.com/pdf-reader

Its simple to add text: could explain it but easier to show you:

http://screencast.com/t/8aUjcLuiEYhz

Once form filled out, either go File/ Save as and save a edited copy somewhere, or to save the original / Save.

That was from a PDF I made. You cant remove text on other PDF's example like a form you need to fill out, but you can add text.

It also has the option to create PDF's. If you have anything that can print, hit print - select Nitro PDF and it creates a PDF of the what ever you have open.

Heres this web page in EDGE:

blanco
16-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Bullzip PDF Writer from Gizmo's Freeware. I haven't used it but Read about
and download here:-
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-desktop-software.htm?page=0%2C5

Neil F
16-03-2016, 10:56 PM
I use CutePDF writer most of the time.
One may have to download a free adjunct called Converter with it.
Example. If you have a Word document or a bank daily transaction download - select Print and CutePDF Writer appears as a Printer . Select that and when the screen save as appears (with .pdf already showing) just give a suitable name for the file and you have a pdf file.
From memory I think I downloaded CutePDF Writer from FileHippo.com.

As others have suggested many programmes also have an option to save as pdf format.

gary67
17-03-2016, 06:35 AM
I use CutePDF writer most of the time.
One may have to download a free adjunct called Converter with it.
Example. If you have a Word document or a bank daily transaction download - select Print and CutePDF Writer appears as a Printer . Select that and when the screen save as appears (with .pdf already showing) just give a suitable name for the file and you have a pdf file.
From memory I think I downloaded CutePDF Writer from FileHippo.com.

As others have suggested many programmes also have an option to save as pdf format.

This is how Bulzip and a few others work too

Tbird650
17-03-2016, 10:34 AM
I use Foxit reader for filling in PDF forms. This video shows how (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xkTJqeywro) Use the "typewriter" function.

mzee
18-03-2016, 02:13 PM
I use Foxit Reader version 7. Incorporates a printer driver and a typewriter. You can type to a PDF document so long as it isn't locked.

notechyet
18-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys/ladies. I use cutepdf a lot for printing/ converting. Also use Sumatra. Interestingly not much mentioning about online PDF editors/writers/form filler.
I have suggested to use an online editor as I mentioned in a previous post.
Many,many thanks