PDA

View Full Version : windows 10 network, mysteriously broken

Mirddes
15-03-2016, 11:36 PM
ok so let's start.

i have 5 windows 10 computers, one of them acts as a server and has been manually assigned 192.168.20.3

i can ping it from anywhere on the network and until earlier today i coudl access the network shares.

for somereason whilst pinging it is still functional, and now have a mouse and keyboard attached to it, its perfectly functional from a desktop perspective, i cannot access it's shares from other locations and i cannot remote into it. IT STILL PINGS FINE!!!!

what coudl be causing it?

some copies of windows 10 are pirated, they will soon be replaced by clean installs and windows insider.

this problem however is present on all of the computers, i'm inclined to rule this out as a cause.

the rest are clean installs from microsoft.com

what gives? i'm, goign to reinstall windows in the next few days even if your help is successfully rendered.

Mirddes
15-03-2016, 11:52 PM
i enrolled another computer in the windows insider program (sucessfully this time, had failed several times prior in the week)

problem still persists.

server has been enrolled from about an hour after in finished installing the OS.

what gives?

berryb
16-03-2016, 01:30 AM
How are you accessing the file share? By IP or Server name?

Does the share work using \\192.168.20.3

If so DNS is where I would start.

Mirddes
16-03-2016, 05:10 AM
How are you accessing the file share? By IP or Server name?

Does the share work using \\192.168.20.3

If so DNS is where I would start.

both ip and server name resolve pings successfully.

but.............

ok ip works fine for accessing the shares :)

i'll sort out my DNS issues when i awaken in a few hours.

have a great day everyone :D

beama
16-03-2016, 09:54 AM
some copies of windows 10 are pirated, they will soon be replaced by clean installs and windows insider

you're certainly brave or the other option (silly) publishing that fact here. hoping for another holiday from Pf1

Mirddes
16-03-2016, 04:38 PM
you're certainly brave or the other option (silly) publishing that fact here. hoping for another holiday from Pf1

obligated.

Mirddes
16-03-2016, 04:49 PM
And with it essentially being free, no commercial gain on my part and my clear intentions, I see no harm coming of it.

wainuitech
16-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Just curious, theres several reasons, BUT where you wrote:

this problem however is present on all of the computers, i'm inclined to rule this out as a cause. Can the other computers see and access one another, or are they in the same boat as the "server"- cant access each other.

17-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Not really, he's saying hes going to remove all pirated versions. :)
Maybee they werent his .

Isnt it too late to install insider on PC's that didnt previously have it ?

17-03-2016, 10:01 AM
sounds like a master browser issue ??

linw
17-03-2016, 11:03 AM
What do you get if you run net view from a command prompt on each comp? Also, 'nbtstat -n' will show which comp is the master browser.

Mirddes
17-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Isnt it too late to install insider on PC's that didnt previously have it ?

thankfully not.

for installation media
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

for enrolling
start menu/settings app/updates etc/advanced options/get insider preview builds

Mirddes
17-03-2016, 12:21 PM
master browser?

wainuitech
17-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Isnt it too late to install insider on PC's that didnt previously have it ? No BUT now you have to have a pre existing activated OS either W7 -W8.1 and the insider builds take over that. If you decide to leave the insider program, then the only builds that will activate in the future are the last public releases.

What happens is if you get a public release the watermark bottom Right hand corner disappears, upgrade to a insider build and its back again.

Prior to the first 10240 release, ( mid July I think it was - MS cut off the "FREE" install of W10 insider builds) you didn't have to have any OS at all installed, as long as you were in the insider account it will work.

I've got two computers here, both originally had XP on them, wiped their drives installed the insider OS's and they have been going good as gold ever since. The third has had a W7 key originally.

dugimodo
17-03-2016, 02:47 PM
I was using the insider version when it first became available on a spare PC, then decided to buy windows and stopped using it.
Does that mean I can still install it on a spare PC or will it have been tied to the hardware I was running it on?

Bit of a Hijack I guess if you want to ignore it.

Mirddes
17-03-2016, 02:59 PM
ignore the fictions i shall :)

we are obligated to ignore unjust legalities such as legal fictions' (corporations) right's taking presidence over human rights.

with all the copies of windows i've been through over the years, they have gotten rather cheeky, far too big for their imagined boots.

wainuitech
17-03-2016, 04:57 PM
I was using the insider version when it first became available on a spare PC, then decided to buy windows and stopped using it.
Does that mean I can still install it on a spare PC or will it have been tied to the hardware I was running it on?

Bit of a Hijack I guess if you want to ignore it. Narrrrr nothing like good hijack.

If you put a newer insider build back on a previous PC AFTER 10240 ( hardware already activated ) it should reactivate, if its a different motherboard, then nope- W7-8.1 license required now. The old keys prior to 10240 have been blocked. From what I read if you haven't upgraded since pre 10240 and its the same hardware then you have to put in a pre 10240 insider build, THEN upgrade to the latest.

Back on subject: Mirddes

-- Still didn't answer the question Post #8 ? The reason for asking is had the similar and same thing happen on four different locations over the last week. And the answer is not what you may think ;)

Mirddes
17-03-2016, 06:05 PM
the other computers can access network shares on all other computers with the exception of server.

\\server\ lists outdated shares and none of the shares are accessible.

accessing 'server' using \\192.168.20.3 works flawlessly from all locations on the network.

there is nothing special about server other than it being the computer the big hard-drive is in.

what could the answer be?

fred_fish
17-03-2016, 06:22 PM
(Artificial) connection limit for being not a $erver OS?
It used to be 10 on XP pro

edit: not that if the IP works
Netbios name resolution borkage (duplicate names anywhere?)

wainuitech
17-03-2016, 07:22 PM
If the Others can all see and work correctly then its not the same problem I've solved.

SO some questions, not really made clear in the posts.

Some basic trouble shooting questions and something to try. ( adding to Freds Post) All of this can be tried within a few seconds, but of course no one can see what you can :)

1.What Build is the "Server" ? ( type winver into the search and open)
2.Can you actually see the folders ? If so, next question-> If no then ignore next question.
3.When trying to access, are there any sort of error messages ?
4. Was there any sort of updates installed then it lost access ?
5. Can you access the folders Via a Mapped network drive setup ?

If you're not to sure how, open This PC, in a blank space in Network Locations right click - Add a Network Location -- Follow instructions.

There was a patch that came out the other day, did some serious damage to some winsocks. To fix that open a CMD as Admin,

•Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.

•Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.

•Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.

•Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

•Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter

Reboot the computer and take off (if it hasn't already - should have) the static IP address, let the router give it another, if you can access the shares then reset the Static IP to whatever it now has.