PDA

View Full Version : Harking back to an old problem (Toshiba Tecra M5, low brightness on battery)

Billy T
15-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi Team

I never managed to resolve this issue, but now I really need to, as I want to take the computer away from civilisation for a short while (I'm taking Mrs T away for our 30th wedding anniversary). We've been wanting to spend some time cataloguing our backlog of digital photos and this is an ideal opportunity!

In the intervening period, I reached the conclusion that the power management software was faulty and some assiduous searching last night tended to confirm that, as some other poor wretch on the web had exactly the same problem and his power saver software was on the fritz.

Great! I thought, just download and install a fresh installation of the power saver software and we'll be ok, then I entered the 'Mire of Dismay' when I couldn't find any reference to software specific to the M5. So, I'd be grateful if anybody can point me to a URL and filename for software that I can safely install.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :wub

P.S. If anybody has a spare Z key cap for an M5, it would be an ideal 30th Anniversary present! :D

wainuitech
15-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Don't know if this is the exact right model or not http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1320624 Drivers and updates Tab / Power ( on the left) then theres a single download

wratterus
15-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Billy, if Wainui's link wasn't what you're after, can you please post the exact model of your laptop, it's written on the back, something like PSKCCA-00400Y and also what operating system you're running on the notebook.

There can be a bit of a trick getting these behaving. I assume the brightness function keys are not functioning (haha) at all?

Greg
15-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Happy Happy anniversary to you and Mrs Billy! Congrats! :clap

Billy T
16-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Billy, if Wainui's link wasn't what you're after, can you please post the exact model of your laptop, it's written on the back, something like PSKCCA-00400Y and also what operating system you're running on the notebook. There can be a bit of a trick getting these behaving. I assume the brightness function keys are not functioning (haha) at all?

I haven't got to Wainui's link yet, but it is Model PTM 51A-0RM05P and the OS is XP-Pro. There is no reference whatsoever to function keys in any of the Help File nooks and crannies that I have prised open. I have looked up other models and they have that info, so I am pretty sure that the power management system on this machine has some marbles missing.

And thanks for the congrats Greg, much appreciated. Mrs T is 'one in a million', so I struck lucky, but she can be feisty at times and man can she bite when she wants to!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
16-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Okay---Different Link, this is may to be the one, there is no exact model listed, have a look at the options selected in the drop boxes, and the download it provides:

http://www.toshiba.co.uk (http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK)

17-03-2016, 11:01 AM
As a last resort..might make things worse

Uninstall the Tosh Power Save software
Use Windows built in power save, setup display not to dimm on batt power (does XP have that option ?)

Perhaps this power save is actually at the bios level ? maybe there is a bios update for this laptop

Billy T
17-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Okay---Different Link, this is may to be the one, there is no exact model listed, have a look at the options selected in the drop boxes, and the download it provides:

http://www.toshiba.co.uk (http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK)

This is weird!

I get the same page as you Wainui, but I can only see model options M10 & M11.

However, after some web searching I did manage to find what I believe to be the powersaver software file name: [tm5tpsx.exe] and further research seems to indicate that this file is the same for any Toshiba laptop model that I cared to search on. The key issue now then, is how to install it then get it operational.

I'm holding fire on this at present, because at least I can do the work for Mrs T as it is, because the screen is normal while on mains power. If you have any additional pearls of wisdom I'd would gratefully receive them. I'm not sure if I will have web access at the remote location to which we are going, though the Tecra does have wireless, but I can't see that working unless the Host has it on offer.

Edit:

I'm almost too embarrassed to write this, but earlier this afternoon I had a seriously-delayed brainwave: I thought it might be a good idea to take a look at the Powersaver file sizes in case something was missing.

Yeah well! To my immense embarassment,:blush: both files are reading 0 bits, bytes, and not even the fingerprints of the Australian @#$*! 'tech' that deleted the software.

(This was the laptop, donated by PF1 members, that our daughter used to complete her Masters degree, and earn the right to present proposals for a Ph.D Following her graduation, we were at last in the financial position to buy her a new Laptop for her PhD studies, as she had pretty much worn this one out completely.)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
17-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Well, I found a 2MB (zipped) file 'secas-tm5-Xp-111-en.zip' [presumably this is a pea-zip self-opening archive] so now comes the big question: do I transfer that zip file to the currently empty power management folder, or does it contain its own directions as to the correct destinations.

I don't want to brick the old girl, she's done stirling service and I only use it for non-critical applications (like photo sorting), but it would be nice to have some screen illumination when running on batteries.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
17-03-2016, 05:15 PM
This is weird!

I get the same page as you Wainui, but I can only see model options M10 & M11.

You selected the wrong options :)

Look closely at the Picture Notebooks/TOSHIBA/Toshiba M series The SECOND box, you DONT select Tecra if you do the M5 option is not there. Only problem is the model number is not there, but as you mentioned I suspect they all use the same software.

Billy T
18-03-2016, 02:25 PM
You selected the wrong options :)

Mea Culpa :blush:

OK, so I found the file right where it wasn't lost, and I have since downloaded and unzipped it.

There are 21 files, they are currently sitting in the Tecra's 'Downloads' directory, and the file on which I am focussed currently is '32bit Setup Launcher' .

There is also a 'setup.iss' file, and just to make things interesting, there is a further file called 'Internet Communication Settings'. This one has a big icon and it would look like an option for initiating the (re) installation as well, except for the fact that 'Setup Launcher' carries more gravitas.

Now, the big question is: Will the launcher automatically put its files in the correct location(s), or will I have to play hide & seek trying to locate where it has dumped its load? I'm not too familiar with the care and feeding of operating systems and/or application files, I'm much more at home with my gaggle of Monday Laughs, which stay exactly where I put them, hence my reluctance to just dive in and 'see what happens'! :confused:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
18-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Usually when that option appears, I would go into the device manager, there should be something indicating a missing driver, either exclamation Mark or something, right click it, update driver - point it at the folder that has all the files you have just downloaded, and it "should" locate what it needs and install. Sometimes it doesn't always happen smoothly. :rolleyes: