PDA

View Full Version : Backing up emails

Bryden
14-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Apologies, I am sure this has been asked previously but despite a couple of searches I cannot find the answer....

How do I save my emails onto say an external hard drive - I have a couple of these and rotate them saving my file data....

I am using W7 Professional 64 bit and Windows Live Mail - when I try Export it only gives me two option to export to - one is Windows Live Mail itself and cannot remember the other at the moment...

I have some email folders going back years and would hate to lose them....

TIA

Bryden

Driftwood
14-03-2016, 08:07 PM
You should be able to export some or all of your email folders, to a location of your choice.
For example, create a file on your desktop called mail backup. Then export your mail folders to that. Then save that to your portable hard drive.

Lawrence
14-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Been using KLS Mail Backup for Thunderbird along with MozBackup(I use 2 backup options in case one fails which MozBackup did recently) KLS can backup quite a few Mail Programs including Windows Live Mail http://www.kls-soft.com/klsmailbackup/ . Does not backup Outlook though

wainuitech
14-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Graphical instructions as per Driftwood's Post above. You will find there are quite a few folders when they export.

Graphical instructions (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/116162-windows-live-mail-export-import-email-messages.html)

NOTE:
If you ever need to import them again, they will end up in the Imported folder, NOT their original Locations

Bryden
14-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - will give it a whirl tomorrow.....

Bryden

pctek
15-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Never could understand why people accumulate emails.
You can save the contacts list...the emails however...

If you need the information sent, why not copy it into a file and save that file?

dugimodo
15-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Depends pctek, at work for example we have a contractual requirement to keep all correspondence with our clients for a set number of years. My work e-mail archive in outlook goes back 5 years.
At home I tend to never delete E-mails that have useful information like activation keys etc because I find it easier to go back and search my inbox than reliably store the information myself (although I do that as well).

I do wonder sometimes how long our electronic footprint will exist after we're gone.

coldot
15-03-2016, 10:26 AM
MailStoreHome is free for home user. It works. Remember to run it once a month or so. I've used it for several years and it's good to be able to look back over the past ten years or more.
Actually that's 18 years when I recalculate - it dates back to when offspring went overseas and kept in touch. I don't think we had Skype back then.
http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home-email-archiving.aspx

Bryden
15-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks so much for the info. re backing up emails..... I have successfully exported the folders I want to keep to a folder on my Desktop and will now write them to an external hard drive.... Wainuitech in particular - you often come to my rescue and the graphic link was very helpful....

Great forum - thanks everyone.....

wainuitech
15-03-2016, 01:24 PM
No Problems, I was simply providing a link to graphical that Driftwood had already posted.

Its one of those things, do it all the time, I can do it in my sleep. Sometimes :sleep:sleep:sleep -- Opps drifted of then for a nap :p Anyhows, sometimes its easier if there are pictures showing how to do something.