PDA

View Full Version : Sound Failure Win 10

tirikatene
11-03-2016, 09:32 PM
My WIN 10 desktop sound has just stopped working -
Have checked all the hardware connections, different speakers, etc with no luck.
Sound device manager says it's working properly and has the latest driver., (with no rollback available).
Starting to think it could the integrated sound card?
Any help always appreciated!

wainuitech
11-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Make sure its not muted someplace - Don't laugh it happens.

Also check in the Control Panel / Sound that the correct device is selected as default.

What has changed since it was going, Updates etc ?

dugimodo
12-03-2016, 09:34 AM
My PC does that occasionally and is fixed by rebooting. Weird thing is it always looks like everything is working and the level meters show sound on the right device when testing but nothing comes out of the speakers. Haven't figured out why or worried about it because it's only happened 2-3 times and a reboot has sorted it each time.

Also make sure you haven't plugged in any USB sound devices, they tend to take over. To leave them connected you have to choose the default device again, I once tried to fix my sound card because I didn't realise the sound was coming out of my wireless headphones (but not really as they were turned off).

tirikatene
12-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Hi All - Thanks for your input.
Prior to writing, I rebooted the 'puter a couple of times to see if that was the problem, but no.

Coincidentally, last night a WIN10 upgrade come though that required a reboot.
This morning the sound now works fine.

So is was a windows media app' that caused the problem.
Thanks for your comments!

wainuitech
12-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Coincidentally, last night a WIN10 upgrade come though that required a reboot.
This morning the sound now works fine.

So is was a windows media app' that caused the problem.
Thanks for your comments!

All I'll say is Please read my Signature :D

SurferJoe46
13-03-2016, 04:19 AM
This is the reason why I quit M$ altogether.

They obsoleted all my hardware, my IDE cards, my printers and my Soundblasters didn't work any more. SATA things didn't want to work and that's my harddrives!

It was a lot of work, but I got back to Win XP Pro and actually got it registered - don't ask how 'cause I don't know.

Then I dual booted into Linux/Puppy that I downloaded on my tablet, put it on a USB stick, booted LIVE and then installed it and I'm mucho happier now, although Puppy/Slacko 65 isn't a walk in the park.

But my MP3 collection plays well in both the Win opsys and Linux distro (that's Puppy-talk: "distro"). And I can run Audacity/Lame again!

I think everyone should at least have a stick-drive of Puppy if not to actually run, then to fix Windoze problems - like a full format!

SurferJoe46
13-03-2016, 04:23 AM
All I'll say is Please read my Signature :D

Remember 98E?
Remember when we went to ME or Win2000?
Or Vista?
Or XP?
And I swore I'd never leave NT!

I want my C>128 back!

dugimodo
13-03-2016, 10:10 AM
98SE was so popular it stopped XP gaining market share for quite a while, and it needed less resources so remained the gaming OS of choice for many long after XP got popular. XP at launch had so many issues people swore they'd never use it, some even preferred ME. A lot of People have short memories and choose to remember their favourite version of windows as the best one, whether or not it's actually justified. Of course if like Joe you have older hardware the newer versions aren't even an option.

ME was terrible and never got properly fixed
XP started out bad but rapidly became one the best windows versions ever, stuck around so long people forgot the rocky start.
Vista started out bad and was rapidly replaced by 7, which hid the fact that after the bugs got patched out it's actually pretty good. I know people still happily using it.
8/8.1, really didn't have many issues other than the fact people don't like the GUI. All the bad reactions prompted 10 to arrive quickly, much like the Vista/windows 7 thing
10 - feels more like 8.2 but is much more popular despite being very similar
I've never had much experience with the NT range though.

Where I work we are currently upgrading our systems to windows 7 & 8 (8 because that's what the tablets they decided on come with, 7 for desktops) from XP pro, and only because one of our clients has upgraded their systems and we will not be able to interface with them on our old OS.