PDA

View Full Version : Miracles do happen...........TUC came back to life

Billy T
09-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Hi Team

About 12 months back my 'Traffic Usage Checker' went on the fritz. After exhausting all of the options PF1'ers suggested, (thanks guys), I gave up and latterly Spark has provided a usage record of sorts, but I couldn't track Billy Jnr's time on-line in the wee small hours of the morning.

Today I noticed that the TUC icon in my system tray was showing 0%, so I clicked on it, and whaddaya know, it was back on line. Whatever was jamming the thing was gone.

Now, here's the rub: Earlier this morning I downloaded another raft of Microsoft Security Updates for XP [SP3], and I reckon it must have been MS wot shot my Usage Checker, bcause the MS updates seem to have been the catalyst for its sudden resurrection.

Whatever, I'm glad to have it back!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

dugimodo
09-03-2016, 03:01 PM
It's something I've long suspected, that some software updates fix problems that were caused but never admitted to and without the problem ever being mentioned publicly.
Numerous times in the past have issues miraculously cured themselves after an update that was supposedly for something else.

Billy T
09-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Numerous times in the past have issues miraculously cured themselves after an update that was supposedly for something else.

So maybe I would have still been unable to use TUC if I hadn't downloaded the latest security updates from Microsoft (based on the POS etc usage that they are still supporting) so some good may have came out of it, in addition to the security updates, though it is a safe bet that TUC was not on their minds! :D

It's like having an old friend back again (or a mortal enemy from Billy jnr's point of view) and I've put the hard word on him already for being 20% into the new month after 5% of the days!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Richard
10-03-2016, 11:24 AM
God! I thought you meant the Trades Union Congress there for a minute!