PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 mail error

Tbird650
09-03-2016, 10:41 AM
I've been battling with a persistent Windows 10 mail error code 0x85050041 since I upgraded from WLM. The error is frequent on starting and mostly can be fixed with a reboot or two.

Curiously Windows update is often down apparently in sympathy. Settings>update & security page freezes or immediately closes. I'm suspicious of a connection with Mail but sometimes one will work while other remains down.

I've been studying the issue in spare time but nothing has worked so far. Amongst possible fixes I tried SFC /scannow numerous times. I refreshed Windows 10 but still the issue remains. I was hoping updates would fix the problem but they aren't coming fast enough.
I wondered if the problem is network related but I don't understand enough to solve it.

Any thoughts please. Thanks

wainuitech
09-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Three Questions:

1. Was this an upgrade from a previous Install or a Fresh install ( wiping drive and starting with an empty Drive) ?
2. What version of W10 ? to find out, in the search type in winver,select it, it will tell you what version you have.?
3. What version of WLM,, 2011 or 2012 ?

dugimodo
09-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Also what mail program are you using now, just the included one with windows 10?

You could always just go back to live mail, it works just fine on windows 10.
Myself I've abandoned mail clients and just use webmail on the PC and my android phone.

Tbird650
09-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Three Questions:

1. Was this an upgrade from a previous Install or a Fresh install ( wiping drive and starting with an empty Drive) ?
2. What version of W10 ? to find out, in the search type in winver,select it, it will tell you what version you have.?
3. What version of WLM,, 2011 or 2012 ?
1. Upgrade, from 7
2. Version 1151 (OS Build 10586.122)
3. 2012

There is a pending update (KB3140768) just appeared today.

Tbird650
09-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Also what mail program are you using now, just the included one with windows 10?

You could always just go back to live mail, it works just fine on windows 10.
Myself I've abandoned mail clients and just use webmail on the PC and my android phone.
Yes, the one included with 10.
I dropped WLM because of its' problems that incidentally started with the upgrade to 10.
Re Webmail. Do you mean Outlook.com for example? It also pleases itself whether it logs in. it's erratic. Is there some connection? Both my accounts are Hotmail.com's.
I have two email accounts so a client appears to be the best way to monitor both at the same time?

dugimodo
09-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I use Gmail so it's their webmail portal I use. It also lets me set up my two yahoo pop3 (xtra) accounts and access them through the same inbox without having to check all 3 separately. I forward them automatically to my Gmail these days though so that's not important. I've never tried outlook.com or Hotmail to know what they are like.

If ity sounded like I meant webmail on the phone also I didn't, I use the Samsung provided mail client on the phone

wainuitech
09-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Sometimes the upgrades don't always go as they should - theres often little quirks that appear. That build is the latest Public release.

The Windows updates have been working fine.

The error code means theres a sync problem.

Windows updates: if there are some corruptions in the updates you can always rebuild them. To do that you open a cmd in admin and type in the following ( pressing enter after each command)

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
exit

Reboot the computer.

Sometimes theres also a problem with the other parts of W10.

before doing any of the above commands run the following ( pressing enter after each command)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If it finds anything ( or even if it doesn't), run

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

The commands usually appear to stop at 20%, this is normal, just leave it and it will carry on.

:IF" it asks for the location then you'll need a copy of W10 either on DVD or USB, then type in :

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\Sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Change the drive location Wim:E to what ever drive letter the source is,

Tbird650
09-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Yes, the error code is described by Mail as a sync problem.

I used that cmd prompt a few months ago to fix Windows update errors. It started working again however the issues described above remained. It's odd that a reboot will most often have it working correctly. Then next start up of the PC can has it playing silly beggers again.

Oh yes, the scanheath / restorehealth has been run a number of times. I ran it again just now. No reported errors found.

My last clean install was when I bought a SSD but that was before the upgrade to 10. If I do another clean install, I thought I'd follow theses instructions (http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/) Is there any instruction better? I recall there's something in the (M4A78PRO) BIOS I need switch to recognize the SSD

Edit: I'm doing the update now. Hopefully the PC will accept it without indigestion.

wainuitech
09-03-2016, 01:32 PM
If you do a clean install, I basically boot the computer from a CD ( AOMEI partitonManager) Wipe the drive completely clean boot from what ever media you may have created, DVD or USB and then follow instructions from there. When it asks for a product key, select " I dont have one" Then select the version you originally had, Home or Pro - as long as W10 was previously activated it will pick it up automatically when its on the internet ( before it even finishes installing).

The differance being when installing use the customise setup, disbaling all the "send back home" options.

What you can try though, and its slightly different to doing a refresh, download the Windows 10 Via the media creation tool, Select make an ISO ( in case you need it later) create a DVD or USB install. With W10 running put in the media - run the setup, this is similar to doing a refresh BUT better, select keep data - Done this 3 times in the last week on Previous W10's as the inbuilt refresh sometimes doesn't work as well - use the defaults and it is the saem as a repair install. Once done, manually run updates again.

OFF TOPIC- but funny, just done 2 W10 upgrades, one looked like it was giving problems :( Damn mouse was jumping all over -- Dhurrrrrrr a small moth walking on the touch screen was enough to activate the screen causing all sorts of problems LOL :)

Tbird650
09-03-2016, 01:33 PM
The update worked fine. The machine booted perfectly and both Mail and Windows update are doing what they're supposed to.
The thought occurred that it's cold booting that generates the error/s?? Could there be something to the thought?

nmercer
09-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Looks like you discovered a pretty interesting bug there Wainui :)

Tbird650
09-03-2016, 03:07 PM
I downloaded the tool and it created an iso. Now the DVD burner won't work. (error code 0x80004005) That's where I'm up to. The DVD burner is quite old and the driver is '06. Hasn't been used since last year and I can't recall using it since W10 was installed. I suppose I could check to see if my Asus board will boot from USB but either way the DVD burner needs sorting... (or replacing)

wainuitech
09-03-2016, 04:33 PM
I downloaded the tool and it created an iso. Now the DVD burner won't work. (error code 0x80004005) That's where I'm up to. The DVD burner is quite old and the driver is '06. Hasn't been used since last year and I can't recall using it since W10 was installed. I suppose I could check to see if my Asus board will boot from USB but either way the DVD burner needs sorting... (or replacing)

Have a look in either device manager or This PC to see if the DVD drive shows correctly. If it does, then if you have some sort of program installed relating to burning /ISO then it may be causing the error message.

Normally I use PowerISO and that works fine, theres a free giveaway version floating about. OR I can upload it if you want it.

Looks like you discovered a pretty interesting bug there Wainui Yeah -- :D a REAL live bug ;) The desktop Picture was a nature background and it blended in quite well, until I saw it move.

Tbird650
09-03-2016, 05:21 PM
I fixed the DVD problem. It seems the disks were bad or not compatible. They were 8.5GB. I can't remember where these came from but I found some blank 4's which worked.
Anyway I burnt the iso using Windows. It does show all the files and does prompt to press any key at boot. seems good.

The issues haven't resurfaced since this mornings' boot up despite several restarts today. If it does recur I'll reinstall then.

Tbird650
15-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Am posting to update the situation. I had two more instances of the Windows mail error so I made the DVD and reinstalled keeping my data as per Wainui's instruction. That was yesterday and so far all is well.

Tbird650
29-03-2016, 10:15 PM
It's been 2 weeks and the mail error has reoccurred twice in that time. The number of incidents may have reduced for the timeframe but that's not saying much. Twice is 2 times too many.
Of note is 3 other error/failures that happen from time to time.
1/. Windows update page is often down if I access via settings>update&security. Often the page will be blank, hang for a time, then close suddenly. Other parts of that menu are also dead: defender, backup, recovery etc.
2/. The DVR cctv system randomly fails to start. Usually it will throw up an error some minutes later. If I'd clicked say 3 times on the DVR icon, eventually 3 errors will pop up.
3/. Outlook,com/hotmail website will not go to browser webpage. It will randomly stay blank. I often open this webpage along with 4 other websites simultaneously.

Using this PC daily I come to know these 4 things are not playing the game all the time. Usually a reboot will fix them which might give a clue.
I'm hoping an update will come down that sorts this out but I'm still waiting..

Oh, nearly forgot.
There randomly is a blue screen error which I've had no luck searching for a solution. Is it connected to the other errors even?
From memory it's called System_Service_Exception
Event ID 41 (63) Kernel Power
System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 3

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-03-22T10:06:15.344015800Z

EventRecordID 2144

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Excalibur-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 59
BugcheckParameter1 0xc0000005
BugcheckParameter2 0x43800000780
BugcheckParameter3 0xffffd0006a8921d0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0

Tbird650
21-04-2016, 09:38 AM
I fixed the mail error. Also Windows update is behaving properly every time I've checked. Another bonus is the numlock is now always on when PC boots up.
Solution: I turned off fast startup in power options.
Been fixed for over a week. :clap

Now if I can only fix the rest of W10's problems..:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2016, 10:02 AM
This Event ID 41 (63) Kernel Power can mean a faulty PSU. If you didnt press the on/off button to turn it off

Tbird650
21-04-2016, 11:37 AM
That 41(63) doesn't look related to the mail error however there's been no error of its' kind in the last 7 days either.