PDA

View Full Version : Old CDs, floppies - what have you done with them?

Nomad
19-02-2016, 03:57 PM
What have you done with them, still have them? How disposed?

We have a microwave box of them.

Cheers ...

dugimodo
19-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Have a few floppies still, binned the rest. Same for CDs/DVDs I don't want, just chuck them in the bin. I did blue tack them to my walls for a while but the novelty wore off.
You may want to limit how many you throw away at once, rubbish collectors have a weight limit.

CliveM
19-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Break them and dump them

apsattv
19-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Having a cleanup here, cover CD'S & dvds go in the bin. I just threw out about 250. Including a huge stack of brand new unopened ones.
You can take them out of their cases/ packaging as those are recyclable.

Have not used or burnt a cd or DVD in 5 years. They are obsolete in my opinion

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2016, 04:43 PM
I shred the ones I no longer need

pcuser42
19-02-2016, 04:50 PM
I've still got a few floppies lying around for no real reason. I keep erasable CDs and DVDs though as they could come in handy from time to time.

kenj
19-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Try writing things like "Nude hot women" on them and put them on the top of the recycle bin.

Ken. :)

BobM
19-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Ken, I like your style. !

kahawai chaser
19-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Glad you bought it up...made me search through the many CD/DVD blanks, and old trial software, ripped MP3''s that are stashed in the closet and draws. Need throw many of them out now...

BBCmicro
20-02-2016, 07:02 AM
I helped a widow clear out her husband's things after he died. There were 2 shelves each about 3m long jammed with 5.25" floppies. Seemed to be operating systems and compilers. I estimated about 2000 discs. At 512kB that's a whopping 1GB. It's hard to imagine anybody needing that much storage ;)

(Me, I have a pile of 3.5" HDDs to get rid of. Apart from securely wiping them, my other problem is I'm not absolutely sure I've retrieved everything I want. I'm only 99.99% sure)

pctek
20-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Dumped them ages ago.

Still have my original DOS floppies, why I have no idea I imaged them ages ago. Uh..,why, I have no idea.

Renegade
20-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Tossed all my floppies apart from 10 or so, also had original 3.11/Dos 6.22.
Was asked to transfer a bunch of floppies to flash drive last year, around half of them were unreadable. Good reliable storage media right there!!

CDs/DVDs I drilled a hole in them or scratched the top layer off before tossing.

Bobh
20-02-2016, 07:01 PM
I recently threw a lot of the old computer magazine discs out in the garbage bin. Down here we need a bit of weight in the bin to stop it being blown over. Most of the PC magazines have ceased including the free discs in their magazine.

These days it is just as easy and quick to download free programs from the net.

22-02-2016, 11:01 AM
What have you done with them, still have them? How disposed?

We have a microwave box of them.

Cheers ...

The computer recyclers accept CD's for recycling
http://computerrecycling.co.nz/e-waste-we-dispose/

Digby
22-02-2016, 03:28 PM
I've got rid of a lot.
But as an old re-seller and support guy I am a bit reluctant to throw them all away.

When you say CD's I assume that you mean computer software CD's, not music CD's.

I remember there was a guy in the Manawatu who used to sell software and fonts (yes I used to buy a few fonts) on CD's.
He had quite a good mail order business.
How things change.

I've also a got a draw full of old video and audio cards etc etc.

Renegade
22-02-2016, 03:36 PM
I remember there was a guy in the Manawatu who used to sell software and fonts (yes I used to buy a few fonts) on CD's.
How things change.

I found some floppies from "Simply Shareware" in my lot. I think they were based in Masterton. Had nicely printed catalogues with loads of shareware. That was early/mid 90s, they died a natural death as more home users got dialup.

Nomad
22-02-2016, 06:40 PM
I've got rid of a lot.
When you say CD's I assume that you mean computer software CD's, not music CD's.

Yes computer CDs / DVDs - games, Win95, 2k, Office 2k etc etc. Computer magazine CDs. Personal written CDs like downloaded utilities like Ultimate ZIP, saved webpages, Real Audio, Winamp, Windows SP downloads and fixes. Hardware provided driver CDs....
I have a couple of music CDs which I will keep, in total we only have 2 CDRW discs.

That aside, lucky we only got 2 spindle of DVDs for the more recent stuff.

Gobe1
23-02-2016, 08:06 AM
All gone except music cds.
Our old vinyl records are used as table place mats.

threw away heaps of red yellow white rca cables, a whole clothes basket full of them.

I have a NAS with 2Tb full of movies and tv programs, might even get rid of that as we dont watch them repeatedly. Once you have seen it... If i want to watch anything 10 minutes and it is downloaded anyway.

Nomad
23-02-2016, 10:55 AM
The computer recyclers accept CD's for recycling
http://computerrecycling.co.nz/e-waste-we-dispose/

I am in Welly, they don't take CDs they do take devices but CRT screens attract $25. I will get rid of some old phones with them.

pctek
23-02-2016, 11:41 AM

I remember the guy in Auckland who had a CD writer! OMG! I was so jealous. We used to pay him to copy things.

Back when the writers cost a small fortune....

dugimodo
23-02-2016, 12:24 PM
I bought my first writer for about $600 which seemed cheap as the first models were thousands. Then you had to take great pains to avoid buffer under-run problems or you would waste a disk. I remember setting up a CD reader and writer on 2 different IDE channels and doing disk-to disk copies on the fly being a major achievement, and you couldn't touch the PC while doing it or the process would fail.

These days I'd toss a disk without a 2nd thought and put DVD -writers in my builds just in case I might need it because they are only $40-$50.

Apparently old DVD or CD disks strung on a string is a fairly good bird deterrent - at least until they get used to it. They can also be used as beer coasters.
People probably come up with all sorts of novel uses for them.

kahawai chaser
23-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Well my last DVD writer - with mt rainier support cost 10x less at about $60 about 8 or so years back. To think many of us probably spent hours ripping music CD's to mp3's, burning cCD's/DVD's, running trial software (winzip, ACD photo editor, FTP's, db power amp, html editors, mp3 converters, rippers, etc) creating piles of discs. Seems semi-old school tech today.

Nomad
23-02-2016, 10:16 PM
I eBayed a HP parallel port CDRW 2x speed. A friend bought a HP 4x from DSE. I had issues with coasters. Was surprised that I didn't have 1 non readable CD other than the CD that was too full and couldn't be closed. Including the cheap Melody Warehouse CDs.

Mirddes
24-02-2016, 05:27 AM
ive been tossing together a computer out of a few old builds and some parts. happens to have an IDE connector. it might get 2 dvd burners and a rounded cable from trademe for $25.

optical drives are definitely obsolete, of my baker's half dozen builds, only 2 have optical drives of of them being a until revently windows XP powered intel atom, one of those SFF boxes with the external PSU. tossed windows 10 on it and she makes a fine print server and music player.

cd make fine Frisbee

Digby
27-02-2016, 08:18 PM
When I look at the hundreds of floppies that I bought it makes me cry.
Especially as half of them never worked more than once.