PDA

View Full Version : Win10 Spyware

DeSade
12-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Now I am getting closer to my build in March I am starting to think about Win10 again.
I am really hesitant due to all the spyware in it and I am looking for assurances it really can be turned off

If it can't is Win7 still an option even with these new CPU blocks?

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2016, 09:28 PM
If you're paranoid about it get this (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10)

DeSade
12-02-2016, 10:13 PM
If you're paranoid about it get this (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10)

I am
Thank you for that link.

Do you vouch for this?

autechre
15-02-2016, 07:41 AM
You can't turn off all the "spyware" completely, but apps like the one Speedy posted do stop the bulk of it.

15-02-2016, 07:59 AM
Win7 now also has spyware , installed via Windows updates
'telemetry'

Its just the way things now are . Dont worry about it , its no big deal .
If you truly dont want any spying, you must NEVER use the internet again. Thats the reality .
Also destroy your android phone & and disconnect smart TV's etc .

wainuitech
15-02-2016, 08:09 AM
If people worry about information MS collect, just be thankful you are not using the Chinese OS they have developed to replace XP -- been reading about it, its so restrictive on what you can do, where you can go and download, and what information it gathers its not even funny.

gary67
15-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Why is everyone paranoid about MS yet post their entire lives on social media?

dugimodo
15-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Because all large corporations, Governments, and Scientists are evil and trying to destroy civilization as we know it. Also aliens are abducting people and psychics are real. Posting what you had for lunch on facebook however is essential information we all must see and it's ok because we choose to share it.

Yes that's sarcasm, just in case anyone thinks I'm serious. The bit about choice is probably it though, having information gathered in secret is more annoying than choosing to give it away freely.

Personally I don't care, they can spy on me all they like.

CliveM
15-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Why is everyone paranoid about MS yet post their entire lives on social media?

An excellent point Gary. Maybe someone is setting up gigantic market for tinfoil hats:)

15-02-2016, 06:12 PM
If people worry about information MS collect, just be thankful you are not using the Chinese OS they have developed to replace XP -- been reading about it, its so restrictive on what you can do, where you can go and download, and what information it gathers its not even funny.

Is that OS for Chinese Govt depts ?
I cant imagine the Chinese general public using it over Win or Linux

wainuitech
15-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Is that OS for Chinese Govt depts ?
I cant imagine the Chinese general public using it over Win or Linux

They had one previously, that I was reading about, you definatly DONT want to use it, the article actually said if you wanted to try it ( and gave links to download), disable (unplug) your internet .

This is the latest - its a rip off of XP in the way it looks and feels (According to the article) but its actually Linux a-first-look-at-the-chinese-operating-system-the-government-wants-to-replace-windows/ (http://qz.com/505383/a-first-look-at-the-chinese-operating-system-the-government-wants-to-replace-windows/)

Some of the points from various articles
Adding more software proved to be a considerable challenge. We tried to install the version of Google Chrome that would be used on Fedora, but NeoKylin blocked us from running it, saying that it was not allowed

Another article states:
Western companies can do business in China, but they tend to be granted access only if they partner or invest in a Chinese firm. A separate WSJ article noted that Dell said it would partner with Kingsoft in China to develop cloud-computing solutions, but the article noted discrepancies over which company planned to own the data users stored there.

While exploring NeoKylin, Quartz found out that it has certain restrictions which does not allow any third party installations on the system.
Quoted from This Site (http://thehackernews.com/2015/09/neokylin-china-linux-os.html).

And god knows what else is hidden in the innards of it.

mzee
16-02-2016, 02:57 PM
My Windows 7 Windows Update has been turned off since 2009. I never get nagged by MS to update anything.

Driftwood
16-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Probably blacklisted you.

fred_fish
16-02-2016, 05:33 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/

wainuitech
16-02-2016, 06:27 PM
This spyware stuff is laughable really. :)

At the end of the day whenever someone installs or upgrades to Windows 10 they have to click on the "I agree / Accept" in the license agreement. By doing so the person gives consent for MS to do it. just because no one actually reads it is beside the point. Android, Apple and many others have been doing it for Years

Section 3 of the License agreement:

By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy
Statement

Same as people complain about updates, they agree to them.

Section 6:

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or
authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of
automatic updates without any additional notice.

On the other side of the coin so to speak -- if your computer gets infections of Malware can MS be sued ? :p

Section 13 /C

Malware protection. Microsoft cares about protecting your device from malware. The software will turn on malware protection if other protection is not
installed or has expired. To do so, other antimalware software will be disabled or may have to be removed.

linw
17-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Analysis of out-going traffic here http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-and-telemetry-time-for-a-simple-network-analysis/

rumpty
17-02-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm using Windows Firewall Control software to keep an eye on the outgoing traffic in W10. If you have Notifications set, a window comes up asking for permission every time a program wants to send data. The notifications feature costs a few dollars, but you can install the WFC software on multiple PCs if you want to.

DeSade
17-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
With the new CPU I have to upgrade anyway and I guess I am being a bit paranoid about it.

It is a sign of the times that privacy is gone, besides if I have anything truely private there is always Trucrypt.

17-02-2016, 01:13 PM
From a link on one of the links above, it looks like the data packets being sent home to Daddy MS are pretty small, so probably wont be your personal data (history of what your doing, well maybee)
There is one hell of alot of sites that this 'telemetry' gets sent to (there are lists of the known ones) . Its not sent to just one central server . :confused:

Also ,if really paranoid, no guarantee that those 3rd party apps or firewalls will stop all the data collection anyway .
If MS was really so evil, they would do the 'real telemetry' in a way that couldnt be ever blocked :banana

fred_fish
17-02-2016, 06:30 PM
It is a sign of the times that privacy is gone
Only if you choose to give it away...

18-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Only if you choose to give it away...

...by not living in a cave.

Seriously, everyone is collecting data on what we do. Internet: free email providers, search engines, websites, banks, credit checking agencies, govt depts,
private & govt owned companies, supermarkets, retailers, even your ph.

So yep, dont want to give away your privacy, then we need to live in a cave

fred_fish
18-02-2016, 05:20 PM
So post your full name, home address and bank statement.

Or do you actually agree that maybe it is still worth restricting your personal data disclosure where possible?

Certainly, there are many situations where leaving collectable data trails are unavoidable - using your own computer doesn't need to be one of them.

zqwerty
18-02-2016, 06:45 PM
I think this is relevant enough to post here:

"February 16, 2016 A Message to Our Customers"

about maintaining your privacy and how fundamentally important that is:

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

zqwerty
18-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Google’s CEO just sided with Apple in the encryption debate:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/17/11040266/google-ceo-sundar-pichai-sides-with-apple-encryption

19-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Certainly, there are many situations where leaving collectable data trails are unavoidable - using your own computer doesn't need to be one of them.

mate, that horse has well & truly bolted. Using your computer on the internet , is a guarantee of data collection.
Saying it doesnt need to be wont change that fact that it actually is .

So if anyone is truly concerned about personal data collection , and not just jumping on an anti MS bandwagon, they need to disconnect from the internet , and disconnect from
every govt dept and private company that also collects data from them.

How can someone jump up and down about MS collecting data , then conveniently ignore every other entity doing the same but worse (ie data that can be traced back to you)

19-02-2016, 08:00 AM

That info is all out there.
If you really want it , all you need do is put in the time yourself, or pay someone for that info (credit checking agencies have all that)

I see , still no mention from the Win10 conspiracists , of GMail & xtra/yahoo scanning through all those emails . How is that not 100x worse than MS collecting a bit of non personal data ?

rumpty
19-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Or do you actually agree that maybe it is still worth restricting your personal data disclosure where possible?

+1

fred_fish
19-02-2016, 05:45 PM
mate, that horse has well & truly bolted. Using your computer on the internet , is a guarantee of data collection.
Saying it doesnt need to be wont change that fact that it actually is . Except this thread is not about "on the internet" (although there are things you can do to reduce your footprint there too), rather the collection (and "sharing") of data about what you do with, and store on, your 'offline' pc. Have you read the EULA?

wainuitech
19-02-2016, 06:52 PM
rather the collection (and "sharing") of data about what you do with, and store on, your 'offline' pc. Have you read the EULA?

1st Bold-If the Computer is "Off Line", how exactly is any data collected. We all know technology is developing but I'd love to hear how an offline PC, not connected to the internet can have its data collected ?

2nd Bold -- When clicking I agree /Accept you are agree to allow MS to collect data from your PC. Can provide the EULA or proof if required.

fred_fish
19-02-2016, 08:21 PM
1st Bold-If the Computer is "Off Line", how exactly is any data collected. We all know technology is developing but I'd love to hear how an offline PC, not connected to the internet can have its data collected ?

2nd Bold -- When clicking I agree /Accept you are agree to allow MS to collect data from your PC. Can provide the EULA or proof if required.

Wow.
Beersie time is early on a Friday, no?

wainuitech
20-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Wow.
Beersie time is early on a Friday, no?
Nope, just trying to figure out how you came to the conclusion data can be collected when not on the internet with a computer "offline" ( your post), AND as per Section 3 of the EULA a person agrees to allow MS to collect data.

As proof, here is section 3>
Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us. Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.

So your turn - please explain how data can be collected if "offline"