PDA

View Full Version : Cant navigate in bios!

dattyd1
10-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Hello.
i have never come across this problem before until now, i have a USB keyboard and on system startup i can press the DEL key to get into bios but once in there i cant navigate, there are still lights lit up on the keyboard but nothing works. When windows was installed it was navigating in bios.
A masive google search and alot of reading didnt help my situation, i have tried a PS2 to USB adaptor and still does the same thing, i have tried every USB port on the motherboard, removed cmos battery for the day different keyboard, i tried only 1 ram stick and only the OS HDD, different power supply.
Nothing is working for me so now i need help please.
I will try to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.

PC specs:
Intel Pentium E2160
ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
4Gb DDR2 400 ram
AMD Radeon R5 240
Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit

USB keyboard + PS2 to USB adaptor

Kame
11-02-2016, 01:06 AM
Does the keyboard function properly outside of the BIOS?

It seems you have tried all the steps to try and fault it.

I would probably flash the BIOS, as it may have stuffed up in keyboard handling.

Cheers,

KK

dattyd1
11-02-2016, 04:41 AM
Yea keyboard works fine with windows, ill try flash today snd get back

wainuitech
11-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Have you tried another Keyboard ?

Some Keyboards simply dont like the BIOS settings to work, yet work fine in windows because the drivers are in the OS.

Also, just having a PS2 to USB adapter doesn't work either.
I got at least two older workshop PC's , and had it happen many times at customers places, that you need a actual PS2 keyboard (no adapter) because the USB wont work. Plugging in a Actual PS2 keyboard works fine. That's why I carry one about with me while on jobs.

If the motherboard didn't have a PS2 port, then some boards the only ports that do work in the BIOS with USB are the two that are at the top (where a PS2 would be)

CliveM
11-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Try Wainuitech's suggestions above before getting to the more involved solutions above. In my limited experience he is on the button, certainly my system will not work with a USB keyboard before it boots into Windows.

dugimodo
11-02-2016, 10:47 AM
In some BIOS settings if you use a PS2 keyboard to start with and use it to turn on legacy USB/ Keyboard options that will sometimes fix the issue with USB keyboards. Most modern motherboards though just work.

You could try resetting the CMOS with the motherboard link in case something has been inadvertantly changed, also unplug any other devices in case they are causing issues. My keyboard and mouse are plugged into a USB 3.0 port via an external hub and surprisingly that works in the BIOS just fine and I really didn't expect it to.

11-02-2016, 11:00 AM
PS2 to USB adaptor : often more trouble than they are worth . Adapter usually has to match the kb, ie may only work with kb it came with.

The is sometimes a setting in the bios for USB keyboard/mice

dattyd1
13-02-2016, 07:53 PM
So I tried resetting cmos by taking the battery out, no change. I flashed the bios to the latest version successfully, no change, got hold of a actual PS2 keyboard, no change. Also removed the bios chip and tried another from an identical pc and still nothing. Myself and Google are out of ideas to try. When it was working originally the pc had xp installed on it only since upgraded to win 7 ultimate has it had this problem I really need to get into bios to overclock cpu as I can't find any software with support for this chips please help

wainuitech
13-02-2016, 09:56 PM
The Operating system wont have anything to do with it. You should be able enter the the BIOS by tapping the Del Key on start, with or without a HDD attached OR any OS installed or not.
May sound dumb, but you do have the keyboard in the right PS2 dont you, the purple one.

Just WHAT do you mean by the line :eek:
Also removed the bios chip and tried another from an identical pc and still nothing BIOS chips are soldered in to motherboards,they require some sort of de-soldering equipment, then need to be re-soldered back in - they are NOT meant to be removed unless you know exactly what you are doing, and even then usually only for repair if they have failed.

I highly doubt it was a BIOS chip you removed, the picture below indicates a BIOS chip:

If you have been de-soldering BIOS chips, you more then likely have stuffed the board.

apsattv
13-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Try the old INSERT key on bootup which use to clear the bios back to defaults? not sure if still does the same thing these days?

dattyd1
13-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Yup that was the chip I swapped out apart from mine is seated in a holder not soldered,
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgCKkFLLj8q7NsBr1LZ4rYhvILn7g3q tpx8m0D3OOsJT4DQ7PZgt3F8U_V7A
I checked on the spare mono first so I didn't wreck mine and it didn't make a difference anyway.
Yup I used the purple 1 lol I also did another Google and swapped out psu tried each ram stick separate and different ram sticks nothing still. Can it have something to do with the graphics card I'm using (mentioned in top post). This board has on board graphics but no signal coming from it hence why I have a graphics card. I'm generally pretty knowledgeable with computers, been fixing n builn for a long time now but this has me stumped

dattyd1
13-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Try the old INSERT key on bootup which use to clear the bios back to defaults? not sure if still does the same thing these days?

Na it didn't lol came up with a whole bunch of nothing was a cd boot check lol then just carried onto loading windows

dattyd1
13-02-2016, 10:36 PM
If anyone can find or know of software for over clocking a pentium E2160 socket 775lga may be more help than trying to get into bios. CPU can be over clocked in the bios as I have seen the settings in there unlocked before and all over the net aswell. I know the best way to overclock is through bios but my head is getting sore banging it against this brick wall.

wainuitech
13-02-2016, 10:52 PM
The Motherboard should auto detect if it has a graphic card installed, and if so display from that, bypassing the inbuilt.

Try something-- shut down, restart and press Alt+F2 Does that bring up a BIOS flash menu ? ( cancel out if it does)

As another test , separate to above: Also disconnect the hard Drive, start see if it will go into the BIOS., if it doesn't, reconnect the drive,boot back into windows, open some text doc or select something, press the DEL key - this is to make sure its actually working.

dattyd1
13-02-2016, 11:01 PM
The Motherboard should auto detect if it has a graphic card installed, and if so display from that, bypassing the inbuilt.

Try something-- shut down, restart and press Alt+F5 Does that bring up a BIOS flash menu ? ( cancel out if it does)

As another test , separate to above: Also disconnect the hard Drive, start see if it will go into the BIOS., if it doesn't, reconnect the drive,boot back into windows, open some text doc or select something, press the DEL key - this is to make sure its actually working.

ALT F5 did nothing I know ALT F2 goes to the flash utility but I have flashed to latest version already.

I can get into bios setup with del key but as soon as setup menu shows that's it frozen, apart from the bar up the top still tracks across the top as if it's not frozen if u know what I mean, plus I have tried multiple keyboards usb and PS2 and tried a PS2 to usb no luck. Every time I can press del key and get in no mater the keyboard but thats is. I have tried with no drives, 1 drive, 1 ram 2 ram different ram.

wainuitech
14-02-2016, 10:12 AM
The F5 was a typo, it was meant to be F2, hence I changed it.

Previously mentioned, removed Battery, but have you actually put in a brand new one, as well as a different Graphic card.

Something came to mind -- What display(monitor) do you have ?

Remember years ago, one customers PC wouldn't navigate in the BIOS on one of the workshop monitors, changed workstations and it worked fine.

wainuitech
14-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Add to above: the problem turned out the graphic card didn't like the monitor unless it was in Windows.

dattyd1
14-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Yup changed out cmos batt and in using a Sony tv as my monitor

apsattv
15-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Not sure if this will help?
http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/unable-to-enter-into-bios-also-keyboard-is-not-working/89628.html

BBCmicro
15-02-2016, 08:40 AM
good link apsattv - well worth reading to the end

(my own BIOS problem a year or so ago was caused by a stray cable connected to a graphics port - the BIOS was outputting to that rather than my display. After it was fixed (with the help of pressf1) I remembered that the OS had the word "unsafe" next to that port. Presumably it wasn't receiving handshaking but had been told to output anyway)

dattyd1
15-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Yup I have read that page already and have flashed dos to the latest version and been all through the other troubleshooting steps it may just be I'll have to leave it and carry on.
Thank you all sooo much for all your input and wisdom, if I end up fixing the problem I'll post back here for you all. L
Anyway thanks a lot

apsattv
16-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Did you try reverting the bios back to an OLDER version?

Agent_24
16-02-2016, 10:19 PM
BIOS chips are soldered in to motherboards,they require some sort of de-soldering equipment, then need to be re-soldered back in - they are NOT meant to be removed unless you know exactly what you are doing, and even then usually only for repair if they have failed.

What? I'd have thought you'd know better than that. :confused::waughh:
Many of them were, and still are, installed in sockets and can be exchanged easily without the need to even look at a soldering iron.

And the most common reason to desolder one would be in the case of a bad flash. Hardware failure of the chip is rather uncommon, though that does seem to happen a lot in cheap TVs though... :annoyed:

dattyd1
17-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Did you try reverting the bios back to an OLDER version?

When I updated I did it in order of versions and the original bios was the oldest. Tested keyboards inbetween man this is the most frustrating thing ever I have been eyeing up my splitting axe lately...... Na but it is frustrating

wainuitech
17-02-2016, 09:14 AM
What? I'd have thought you'd know better than that. :confused::waughh:
Many of them were, and still are, installed in sockets and can be exchanged easily without the need to even look at a soldering iron.

And the most common reason to desolder one would be in the case of a bad flash. Hardware failure of the chip is rather uncommon, though that does seem to happen a lot in cheap TVs though... :annoyed: Since this was aimed at my post -- yes I do know that. Theres a LOT that dont have removable BIOS chips as well. I got stacks of old motherboards here, NONE have removable BIOS chips/Sockets.

MANY people don't know what some parts are either, they call them one thing when in fact they are something else. Theres no way to tell if someone is actually calling a part as its correctly named, on a forum.

Either way, there's something wrong with the motherboard that's not following the normal ways to enter settings. Its been mentioned the on board graphics don't work - so it completely possible there's a fault in the circuits somewhere that wont allow navigation.

Sometimes when actually having a component in front of you a problem is easily noticeable - had that the other day, some other tech company had a look at a persons PC a few weeks back, said motherboard failure but they wanted to much to transfer the data to a new PC that they also wanted to sell the person, I went and had a look after I was recommended by her friend, saw the fault within a few minutes (seen it happen before) and it now runs fine ;)

Kame
17-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Actually, I have encountered this problem before.

Leave only the necessary hardware to get into the BIOS and try that.

So remove hard drives, optical drives and anything else not needed for the BIOS and leave the bare minimum.

Sometimes faulty hardware can put the BIOS in an endless loop trying to initiate the hardware making the keyboard unresponsive.

Give that a try, I am assuming it might be the hard drive causing this but hard to say without seeing what's going on.

Cheers,

KK

dattyd1
17-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Actually, I have encountered this problem before.

Leave only the necessary hardware to get into the BIOS and try that.

So remove hard drives, optical drives and anything else not needed for the BIOS and leave the bare minimum.

Sometimes faulty hardware can put the BIOS in an endless loop trying to initiate the hardware making the keyboard unresponsive.

Give that a try, I am assuming it might be the hard drive causing this but hard to say without seeing what's going on.

Cheers,

KK

So this means unplug everything and only have 1 ram stick keyboard and display hooked up

dattyd1
19-02-2016, 03:11 PM
I tried just basics but no luck still the same the only thing i cant try is without the graphics card because onboard dosnt work and dont want to buy another 1 just for testing

Driftwood
19-02-2016, 04:54 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/motherboards/asus/auction-1035537851.htm

dattyd1
19-02-2016, 06:47 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/motherboards/asus/auction-1035537851.htm

Yea im not to sure on the point of this post? Mine works fine apart i cant move around in the bios settings

Driftwood
19-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Well if it's working fine, disregard my post.

Kame
20-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Maybe the onboard graphics is the culprit, have you tried leaving it at the bios for an extended period of time?

Other than that, the only other means which maybe beyond your capabilities is to custom modified the flash rom to be configured how you want the settings to be setup and flash with that. This is by no means an easy task and definitely has the potential to brick the motherboard, although the bios being removable helps with replacing it if it does come to that.

Cheers,

KK