PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Install problem

jhemm
05-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Running a Samsung RV511 with Windows 7. Quite happy with it, but will have to go to 10 eventually - before July, apparently, when it may no longer be free.
Tried to install Win 10 last year, but install failed.
Eventually, report in Win 10 install screen stated that program "Samsung Recovery Solution 5" should be uninstalled.
Have now done that, and tried Win 10 install again, but still no dice - downloaded ok, prepared ok, configured ok, but then came up with just a blue screen with an unmoving Win 10 logo on it - blue screen of death? Couldn't turn PC off, had to unplug power and remove the battery. Then booted back up to Win 7 ok.
In Windows Update, shows "Win 10 could'nt be installed, error C1900101-20017."
When I enquired about the problem last year, I got suggestions about replacing cards, BIOS etc. I'm non-technical and not about to delve into the interior of my PC.
Before I go to the expense of calling in a technician, I thought I'd try here again in case anyone can advise me of a simple fix.
E.g. there's other Samsung programs on the PC - "Samsung Support Centre" - should I try uninstalling those, or is that a bit drastic?
Or, probably wiser, can you recommend a good cheap tech in the East Auckland area?

Driftwood
05-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Have you tried a custom install?

jhemm
05-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Have you tried a custom install?
Sorry, like I say I am very non-technical. What is a custom install? How would I go about it?

wainuitech
05-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Often the downloaded install fails because its corrupted.

You can always try downloading W10 using the Media creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 Scroll down the page a little> Then make a DVD or USB drive. With Windows running, open the media ( dvd or usb - what ever you created) and let it run the processes/install. BUT if it goes wrong you may be left with a unbootable system. ( like the one I'm fixing right now :nerd: ) See below your quote.

BUT you may also have a hardware fault, eg: bad memory ( example) that will cause all sorts of problems.

Don't mean any disrespect, but if you're not wanting to get into the inside of the computer to sort / Replace hardware then you're out of you're depth, and will soon get into trouble.

With some people - Everyones a expert sometimes until it all turns pear shaped that's when you need the skills to know what you are doing ( a good part of the time anyway) :p.

Which brings to another point:

can you recommend a good cheap tech in the East Auckland area? Not always but sometimes that means cowboys - again don't really know what they are doing (seen that countless times) where they have left a persons computer worse than what it was when they started.

ALSO - Make sure you have enough space on the drive, you need at lest 20GB+ free other wise it wont install.

05-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Sure , take it to a GOOD tech. But dont expect a cheap quick fix.
You will need to pay for the techs time to research cause & a fix. Often the recommended fix doesnt work, at all. So thats more chargeable time

On the other hand it may just need a clean wipe & install from DVD :)

Might be an issue with the internal wifi card .
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-upgrade-from-windows-7-failure-code/259b0d77-8bea-4949-84f3-c0069df8393e

Seems theres many with that notebook have the same issue & same error code. (from google)
So theres probably some incompatibility in that model that has to be traced & fixed/bypassed .

jhemm
05-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Thanks Wainuitech, I guess, even if your comprehensive answer is not exactly very encouraging! Tons of space on Drive C - 170 GB. I really don't want to buy a large USB unless I absolutely have to, and certainly don't to be left with an unbootable system. Looks like I'd better shop around for an expert - there's plenty around, goodness knows. Perhaps I should try one of the "No fix, no charge" guys first?

jhemm
05-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks 1101. That answers.microsoft reference you gave seemed to be about exactly this problem, and mainly dealt with replacing the wifi card. I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't involve that degree of interference, since I will have to pay for a tech to do that. Better wait a while and see if there's a non-mechanical solution. Would there be any point in contacting Samsung NZ to see they can offer any assistance?

wainuitech
05-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks Wainuitech, I guess, even if your comprehensive answer is not exactly very encouraging! Tons of space on Drive C - 170 GB. I really don't want to buy a large USB unless I absolutely have to, and certainly don't to be left with an unbootable system. Looks like I'd better shop around for an expert - there's plenty around, goodness knows. Perhaps I should try one of the "No fix, no charge" guys first?

Sometimes its almost impossible to offer a workable solution without having the computer in front of you. :) Not going to "sugar coat" a problem because depending on the persons skill & knowledge will depend on what needs to be done. As 1101 pointed out, could be the wireless card. They are "usually" easy to remove 1 or 2 screws unclip the wires and out they come, or to simply disconnect unclip the wires.

Some you have to basically disassemble the laptop to get to the card.
Some simply you remove the bottom panels and there it is, example on this HP pictured.

Just found a video -- If yours is the same its a strip down to disconnect the card :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnc6mKXhrw

To show you the card, at about 5.25 after the bottom is removed shows the card:

Stripping down a laptop - if you're not happy doing it DONT - its easy to bugger the whole thing.

Highlighted in your quote Could mean -- They stuffed your laptop or made it worse and we wont charge you for it.
Again not going to "sugar coat" -- using a GOOD tech/ service means it may cost a little more but at least you'll get service, not left with a doorstop ;)