PDA

View Full Version : Win8.1 shut down issue

bk T
02-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Specs:

MB : Asus Z91-A

Randomly, when shutting down, the OS shuts down but the PC fans keeps spinning. I got to turn OFF the power from the wall outlet to shut it down completely.

Is this a hardware or software related issue?

This PC is running OK, otherwise.

Cheers

02-02-2016, 04:04 PM
some fans do keep spinning for x amount of time, to keep cooling the system down.
Do they eventually shut down ?

Otherwise, likely to be a motherboard bug, assuming fans are connected to mb. Try a bios update.
Or Win may not be shutting down, just going into hybernate or sleep mode

bk T
02-02-2016, 05:15 PM
No. I have to turn it OFF from the wall outlet.

All my fans are connected to the MB. Just updated my BIOS to 2801 from 2401 , few minutes ago.

It was working just fine until recently - it has happened 3 times already within a month.

wainuitech
02-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Open the eventvwr At the time of the problem see if theres any entries as to whats happened -If so what are they.

bk T
02-02-2016, 08:44 PM
In event viewer, there are a few critical errors almost everyday :

" The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding,
crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I am the only person using this PC and I DO shut down my PC properly; and my PC doesn't shut down or lost power 'unexpectedly' as reported by Event Viewer.

It sounds weird. The report doesn't look like its from my machine!

wainuitech
02-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Dont have any W8.1's here. But on teh start page, type in Reli you are looking for Reliability Monitor / History, open that ( takes a minute or two to open). Its a lot more detailed, and should have errors when it shuts down with warnings etc. Click on a time and see what they report has faulted -- Hopefully its not one of MS's really helpful messages saying "your computer shut down" No damn kidding ;)

bk T
02-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Yup, there are errors (almost everyday!):

" Summary: Windows was not properly shut down",

Technical details:
"The previous system shutdown at 10:09:17 a.m. on ‎2/‎02/‎2016 was unexpected."

bk T
02-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Just took a closer look at the Reliability History, that, it reports Windows was not properly shut down when I shut down the PC (Properly); but when I restart the PC, there's no such report.

In short, the error is only for Shut Downs but not for Restarts.

bk T
02-02-2016, 10:24 PM
I was wrong. Just did a few Restarts and Shut Downs, no errors reported. The last error was at 10.06pm when I shut it down.