PDA

View Full Version : UAC and Action Center not allowing access/use

kioti
20-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Hi. I am posting problem a friend is having with her laptop. She is completely locked out of making changes in UAC and Action Center and can't use Troubleshooter.
Compaq nx9600
Win7x86 Ultimate +SP1

She is Admin with full Control privileges....this is shown in C:\Properties\Security\Group or username.
Using 'Admins Group' she created a new Admin User account, to no avail. Same as other Admin Account she has.
The Flag in Task Bar is White, not showing any issues needing to be resolved but if she clicks to open it she has a window showing UAC is off and will never notify. Click to Change settings goes nowhere.
Any attempt that she makes to open and change any settings in UAC simply creates an upwards pointing red arrow to every option that she clicks....a window full of red arrows.
SFC /Scannow didn't correct anything, nor fdisk....a Repair/Instal (Upgrade) is out of the question as she is running Win7x86 Ultimate. Upgrade to W8??
A major pain in the butt for her. Worst case is Backup and then Format Fresh instal.
I'm having a looksee at these from this link https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cannot+access+UAC&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=fhefVu-EG4qX0gSBta6ACg
Help to get this sorted out the easiest way will be much apprecciated.
Thanks

She just sent me this update...so in her own words:
I think it's a problem of the User Account Control, but not how to fix it (this problem brings me head and I find the solution on the Internet).

The UAC is enabled but when I hit the option to change settings, nothing happens, it seems that is locked. Do not let me access to the configuration and no error message appears. It seems to be running something and the top of the window lights but nothing happens.

I realized that my case in several important settings in the Control Panel

CONTROL PANEL \ USER ACCOUNTS \

Set parental control for all users

Change account name

Change Account Type

Manage another account

Change settings User Account Control

PARENTAL CONTROL / Configure Parental Control for all users

All these options are as locked, the corresponding window does not open and do not throw me any message, only the top of the window with the lights click and that's it. The small symbol of a coat of yellow-blue, like the option to install fonts that is also protected by the blessed me pictures escudito appears in all these tabs. I imagine they are protected by the UAC options.

I tried to access the security level of the UAC through the "Run" command "START" typing "msconfig" and the menu "tools" option "to change configuration of UAC" but to give the button "START", not nothing happens, only briefly illuminates the window.
.................................................. .....

Have just received this link from her...W10 forum......about changing UAC using a downloadable reg file
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3577-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-10-a.html

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Click on download here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978591)then run it, see if that fixes it.

You may have to reboot after. It looks like Office 97 can cause this if it's installed. Is it installed?

kioti
20-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks Speedy... I will ask her...she's in Manhatten USA and just gone to bed...bbs

kioti
20-01-2016, 08:08 PM
No Office installed at all Speedy.
Read that it can be a corrupted rundll.32 file causing it. She did try the Reg fix mentioned in the link for W10 I posted....she now has the UAC pop up window showing onscreen as it does when opening a app etc....but she still cannot get anywhere with accessing UAC to change/ Action Center and Windows Security Service Center shows as being turned off and she can't turn it on by clicking the Tab. Using services.msc and going to Security Center (WSCSVC) to Start it is a nothing happening too.
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Sweet no probs

When you tried to start the service (if it had stopped) did any errors come up? Run the fixit I posted from the MS site see if that fixes it

kioti
20-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Sorry for my late reply, Speedy....she said that nothing happened at all when she clicked the Start tab for WSCSVC in Services.....I will ask her to post me a pic of it so I can see if it shows the Start tab as being greyed out thus unavailable, and also so I can see if it states that the service is Stopped....because I assume that if it shows the Start tab as grey/unusable then the service is Started and she can only stop it.
I will message her and tell her to try your suggested fixit....she can access the Thread...I gave her a link.
Will post back tomorrow...in about 8 hours.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Sweet if she come here when I'm here / awake, I could check it out with teamviewer.

But you'll have to get in touch with her. If she's not on the forum. Because I need an ID and password once she installs / runs teamviewer. So I can log in

kioti
20-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Cool. I'll put it to her in a few hours...I'm in New Zealand and at 11PM Wed here now time for her is 5AM Wed.......catch up tomorrow.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2016, 11:13 PM
K cool

linw
21-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Maybe get her to create a GZ a/c and deal direct? Always easier than going through third parties.

kioti
22-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Maybe get her to create a GZ a/c and deal direct? Always easier than going through third parties.
maybe....but as you can probably gather, her English is good but her German is superlative. If she posted in her native language would you understand what she is saying. :D
But yeah, a good suggestion.
Thanks

kioti
22-01-2016, 12:25 AM
K cool
Hi I am back and sorry to say that Andrea will not go TeamViewer. She tried the suggested fix you posted link to and that didn't alter anything.
You asked if there was any Error code when she clicked Start in Service Center Properties to start the Service...there is....a Services window opens and states this: Windows could not start the Security service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied.
I am adding a link to a MediaFire folder in which I have pics of her settings and what her Status is.
link here: you can click to view them individually and not have to d'load them.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/45nhdlhmzy0oa/ANDREA_1
Pic 1/ Shows C:Properties...Advanced Security Settings: she has full Control and Permissions
Pic 2/ Advanced Security Settings: Owner: click Edit and get a Window states: Windows cannot access control editor. System cannot find file.
Pic 3/ All accounts in C: Users.....pic 3a is text explaining that she can only delete her main Admin folder and it is padlocked.
Pic 4/ Services....Security Center is stopped...click to Start and get error 5 message window.
Pic 5/ A suggested fix to start Security Center
End of day,,,,,,Andrea is blocked from doing anything she tries to do as Admin yet she has full Permissions/Ownership
The date/time showing for her Sully Folder in Users pic is 1/20/2016....4:54PM...saying that is when it was modified
That was when she created a new Admin User in a round about way ( Not in UAC as she can do nothing in there)
Sully is her Main Admin account...or rather was...She has shown me her C:Users folder months ago and it was there but wasn't padlocked.
Have been reading loads of pages in Google...here are some links and all are to no avail really because they address the issues Andrea is having and they all are worthless to her, because what they say to do she can't. Anything with a Blue and Yellow Shield is blocked from her use.
Might be flogging a dead horse, because MS cannot offer a fix apart from backup/format/fresh instal and Andrea is dreading that...but sometimes there is no other choice.
Thanks. (y)

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2016, 12:47 AM
That error 5 maybe a permission problem in the registry

Tell her to download then run this fixit then reboot (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/943996). See if that fixes it

Is she logged in as Admin? That error 5 can also mean she's using a limited or a guest account

The permission prob will be similar to this (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/access-is-denied-local-services-windows-8-1)

She needs to change it (if the fixit doesnt fix it).

Or go here (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/), get the wcnscvc.reg file then right click on select merge then add it to the registry then reboot

kioti
22-01-2016, 07:08 AM
I agree...somewhere there is an error in permissions/registry. She is logging in as Admin and yes it seems she is in a limited Guest or Standard User account. I will contact her now and get to to do.try what you have sent links to and then post back asap. I wonder about the Error 5...I read that it is a Network problem...Network. Anyway I will post back asap.
Thanks

kioti
22-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi Speedy. Have result of suggested fixes. Almost there, Suggestion 1 returned info in pics Windows Firewall 1 and 2.....says that AVG IS 2015 is installed and stopping Windows FW. AVG is not installed, it was removed using proper AVG Removal tool 6-8 weeks ago.
After getting and running the wcnsvc.reg file and merging it to registry and rebooting, Action Center is accessible and Service is started, as shown in pics Action Center and Sec Center Started...
She is signed in as Admin as shown in so named pic.
Now all is good there but the only problem is that in UAC she still has no control to change things. When in Action Center, if she clicks to 'Change settings' in UAC her screen begins to tremble as she says but that is meant as it dims and comes back as if it is flickering....trying to do the action requested. So UAC is still locked to her.
She has told me today that she deleted the Administrators folder from C: Users and that she cannot Empty recycle bin where it is nor can she Restore the Admin folder to Users. That is good...I don't know why she try to delete it anyway...maybe because she cannot do it in UAC.
Almost there....amd thanks.
I suggested to Andrea that she create an account at Press F1 Forum and then she can get to comment/talk directly to the thread...she declined...prefers me to do it for her. Hmmmm....No comment on that from me :D
Here is the link to 2nd folder of pics in Mediafire if you wish to see them. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/si7660kjqhjuo/part_2
To quote Andrea " this thing about I am not the powerful Admin is driving me crazy"
Thanks for your help... I am going out for a few hours and will check back with Andrea and here. U will relate some info about AVG IS 2015, Comodo IS, Avast Av and Comodo FW paired up as Windows FW was not working and what happened a few week ago.

linw
22-01-2016, 10:03 AM
The MS subinacl tool may be needed. See here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/subinacl-tool-windows-update-error-0x80070005

Ages ago I had to use it and as I recall it did the trick. It adds admin and system permissions to the registry and system folders.

It needs to run as administrator so that may be a problem!

Nice to have an image backup first but the system is borked (not sure of the German translation for this kioti!) anyway. If the permissions are already there, then this won't do any harm re-setting them.

Wot you think Speedy?

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Go to the same place (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/)you downloaded that reg file from, and get the bfe.reg file.

Do the same thing add it to the registry. Then reboot. This PC may have been hit by a virus or something.

Then see if the firewall opens without that error coming up. If it doesnt, run that tool you posted in the firewall pic

Never used that tool myself Linw. BUT I've read that it does help in some cases

See if AVG's folder is still there. If it is are the files still in it?

kioti
22-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Hi linw. Andrea had read the thread and tried your suggestion...end result was Command Prompt window saying this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
'subinacl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

thanks for the suggestion
I don't think she is running as Admin even though she is logged in as Admin...and therein is the problem...(I think). I will divulge more info on that in reply to Speedy...I will be attaching another link to a folder of pics in MediaFire.
Thank you

Hey, Andrea created her own account here with PF1 Forum. I said great, now you can relate directly to the thread and helpers...her reply was freak put...She said "no I don't want to face the geeks, you do it for me"....what more can I say :D
I have a plan......I will induce action from her by saying something....annoying :D (joking)

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2016, 08:55 PM
It would be easier if she w/could install teamviewer.

I dont care whats on the thing. And she'll see what I'm doing, if she's there. It maybe easier to fix than going through you and her now that she's on the forum.

She wont be able to send any PM's until she's got 10 posts

kioti
22-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Hi Speedy. Update here. Avg folder in Program files x86 was manually deleted after using the AVG Removal tool. As were AVG folders in Users AppData Local and Roamin. After which C Cleaner was used to do Reg cleaning. Then reboot.
The BFE.REG file was obtained and merged but it failed to finish, saying "Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system ot other processes" Clicked OK and rebooted.
Opened Control Panel/Firewall and it is there but as shown in pic " Control panel with FW..not admin it seems".....So, it appears that Andrea is not signed in as Admin. She still cannot do anything in there.
She has 3 Accounts in her Sully folder in C:Properties/Security and she is showing in all of them as having full control/permissions. But what has happened since the merging of the BFE.REG is there is a new account there listed as Unknown account (S-1-5-21-*******************************)......and in this account she/?? has no control/permissions at all.
This is becoming perplexing to say the least and thanks for all the help. Andrea did say today that she is considering removing all wanted data and doing a Reset to Factory...however, her computer which was bought new has been upgraded from Original WXPx86 to W7x86 Ultimate+SP1 so not sure if a factory reset will work. Personally I would do Format and Fresh instal if it comes to that and considering Sfc/ Scannow didn't repair any faulty System files...that utility could be corrupted also (maybe)
That's about it for now. I will check back later..in a few hours..but Andrea will be asleep now so any new suggestions cannot be applied for a few hours..unless she accesses this thread and sets about any new suggestions herself. She is smart enough with a computer but as she said..."I am not a geek person..I am not even a comp student'....but she knows her way around the workings etc.
Here is a link to the pics collected today should you wish to view them
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/mh89aslo2faop/part_3

wainuitech
22-01-2016, 09:13 PM
No one has suggested a basic test first. Its basic trouble shooting 101. :)

A Normal user account is not allowed admin fully. Even if you make a user account as admin it still doesn't have full rights like the real admin account does

So a basic simple test is uhide the REAL admin account and see if everything works as it should.

administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9650-built-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html)

Once logged into the real Admin account try changing the settings, if they work then either the original account is damaged / Corrupted or doesn't have the permissions.

Two options,
1. create a new account, make it admin and it should work OK. If it does, then transfer the data, wipe out the corrupted account. If it doesn't a reinstall of the OS after saving all data may be needed.

2. If the REAL admin account does the same thing then its really corrupted and you could spend hours / days trying to fight a losing battle- reinstall the OS.

wainuitech
22-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Just adding to above -- Not being able to see whats going on its only guess work. if speedy looked at it Via remote he may see the problem quickly.

Bit like today - went to a persons place, Vodafone were trying to fix a persons wireless for over two hours on the phone - totally stumped :groan:. I said lets try a few things- they said no they wanted me to go to their place, rather pay a service fee and get it fixed as they were already pissed off because Vodafone had tried for so long --- Went there and saw the problem in less than 10 seconds. ;)

kioti
22-01-2016, 10:22 PM
I totally agree with you speedy but I have known her for a year and have tried to get her to connect with TV so I could do virus removal but she simply will not allow anyone access to her computer....Caution and paranoia are not the same thing.....200 characters password for FB account (???)...just a tad OTT.

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2016, 11:33 PM
The folder permissions you're posting aren't permissions in the registry. It's the registry permissions that are the prob, not the folders.

And it's the permissions in the registry that you have to change

Boot into safe mode and run that bfe.reg file again, it should work. Then boot into normal windows

kioti
23-01-2016, 05:12 AM
No one has suggested a basic test first. Its basic trouble shooting 101. :)

A Normal user account is not allowed admin fully. Even if you make a user account as admin it still doesn't have full rights like the real admin account does

So a basic simple test is uhide the REAL admin account and see if everything works as it should.

administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9650-built-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html)

Once logged into the real Admin account try changing the settings, if they work then either the original account is damaged / Corrupted or doesn't have the permissions.

Two options,
1. create a new account, make it admin and it should work OK. If it does, then transfer the data, wipe out the corrupted account. If it doesn't a reinstall of the OS after saving all data may be needed.

2. If the REAL admin account does the same thing then its really corrupted and you could spend hours / days trying to fight a losing battle- reinstall the OS.

Well said, wainuitech. Many hours have been spent on the problem so far and it could have been avoided. Hopefully, Andrea will open the door and allow Speedy to have remote access.

kioti
23-01-2016, 05:14 AM
Just adding to above -- Not being able to see whats going on its only guess work. if speedy looked at it Via remote he may see the problem quickly.

Bit like today - went to a persons place, Vodafone were trying to fix a persons wireless for over two hours on the phone - totally stumped :groan:. I said lets try a few things- they said no they wanted me to go to their place, rather pay a service fee and get it fixed as they were already pissed off because Vodafone had tried for so long --- Went there and saw the problem in less than 10 seconds. ;)

Exactly ;)

kioti
23-01-2016, 05:35 AM
The folder permissions you're posting aren't permissions in the registry. It's the registry permissions that are the prob, not the folders.

And it's the permissions in the registry that you have to change

Boot into safe mode and run that bfe.reg file again, it should work. Then boot into normal windows

Thanks and I will relay message...Andrea may well have seen it herself and tried as you have said. I reckon after this that the only option apart from backup/reinstall fresh is for Andrea to allow you access via TV.
I still haven't mentioned the various AV and Firewalls used prior to the system getting borked. .. the present problem/s started after Avast Free was installed with Comodo IS already installed.....then Comodo was uninstalled and as Windows FW wasn't working and hadn't done so for many months which is why AVG IS 2015 was used and then Comodo IS because they had Firewall. Comodo was used for maybe 4-6 months but was too heavy on resources so it was removed. AVG IS 2015 was reinstalled, that failed...reason...out of date...needed 2016. New version she got turned ZEN on her (trial version)....then it went from AVG to Avast Premiere to Comodo IS to Avast Free and Comodo FW and it was at the point where Avast Free was installed without having first uninstalled Comodo IS, Comodo was removed after Avast Free was in and running....then Comodo Free FW was insatalled and after reboot the trouble started. Computer as good as froze at start up, red HDD LED on permanently indicating HD activity. Eventually the LED went to normal but the computer was as slow as a wet week and is that way still. Since then the problems with UAC etc have been prevalent.
So, as I said...if what you suggest she does, does not cure the ills, she best let the doctor come to the house and do a diagnosis and fix. I hope she does this.
Thanks

kioti
23-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Speedy, wainuitech and linw.....consider the thread closed. Andrea tried your suggestion, Speedy, and nothing has changed, she is not going to drink at the oasis (TV) so that is it really. Horse opts to die. Thanks all for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Only thing left is do a clean install. That should solve all her probs. And tell her not to get carried with firewalls. It wont crash and burn, if she doesnt install one

wainuitech
23-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Blimey -- Reading all the procedures for antivirus and firewalls that were installed, removed got my head in a spin :waughh::waughh: :D

Chopping and changing like that may or may not have caused the problem but certainly wouldn't have helped anything. Anytime those types of programs install esp firewalls they do change a lot of settings.

Just a thought -- If she wanted to change to W10, then doing a fresh install from the start should be fine. get a copy of the product key thats installed and use that. The latest build of W10 accepts all W7 with sp1 to 8.1 keys. You can down load the ISO from software-download/techbench (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench) Scroll down the page a bit to get to the ISO option.

kioti
23-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Blimey -- Reading all the procedures for antivirus and firewalls that were installed, removed got my head in a spin :waughh::waughh: :D

Chopping and changing like that may or may not have caused the problem but certainly wouldn't have helped anything. Anytime those types of programs install esp firewalls they do change a lot of settings.

Just a thought -- If she wanted to change to W10, then doing a fresh install from the start should be fine. get a copy of the product key thats installed and use that. The latest build of W10 accepts all W7 with sp1 to 8.1 keys. You can down load the ISO from software-download/techbench (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench) Scroll down the page a bit to get to the ISO option.

:D yeah well all those AV's and FW's were over a long period of time....just the last one of installing Avast from direct/download install while Comodo was running and then uninstalling Comodo IS using Revo and then installing Comodo FW and then the reboot and the HDD Led on hard...and then uninstalling Comodo FW as it seemed Windows FW was working...all happened in a day.
As for Windows 10...she was eligible for the free W10 instal and then for some reason when it went to instal it failed. Reason for that I think would have been because the Compaq NX9600 didn't have the required capabilities to run W10......CPU/Graphics/RAM 2gb max. She could get the .ISO as you sent link and try the upgrade repair instal or do a fresh calen instal. Up to her really. Anyway, the book is closed and thanks.

kioti
23-01-2016, 11:18 PM
Only thing left is do a clean install. That should solve all her probs. And tell her not to get carried with firewalls. It wont crash and burn, if she doesnt install one
Cheers speedy. Shame really because I know (am well confident) that if you could have connected to the machine you would have solved the problem in not too many blinks of the eye. What was taking hours/days to do via me to here and then back to you could have been omitted because what you can do with the machinge in front of you is fast moving through procedures.
Thanks for your help and time. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2016, 11:23 PM
No probs. Even my mum trusts me with TV lol. When Flash gets updated. Otherwise she cant play her games on Facebook. If it's not up to date