PDA

View Full Version : New System

Driftwood
05-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Thought I'd move this into the help section.
Been in the chat until now.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?140716-New-system

Well my friend got his shiny new system from computer lounge.

His son was staying over for Xmas & offered to set it up for him.

Today he got me round to sort it out for him.
Various issues, some of which I have done but many others to put right yet.
Main problem is having to login when it starts.
Have told it not to prompt for password but there are two logons available & he only has a password for one.
Cant work out how to get rid of the other logon.
In accounts there is only one user shown.

We are talking win 10 pro

wainuitech
05-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Sorry but the lines made me chuckle :)

His son was staying over for Xmas & offered to set it up for him.

Today he got me round to sort it out for him.

Anyhows: The logins, what type are they? Are they using an email address to log in or a local account (s) ?

"IF" its email you cant remove the password and have things work correctly, you can though on Local Accounts.

Driftwood
05-01-2016, 03:33 PM
The one he has to use is an email one.

The one he dosent have a password for is just a name.

wainuitech
05-01-2016, 04:05 PM

Cool.

OK lets try to get rid of the one he doesn't want first.

Since its not showing ( as mentioned) Try this. ( since its Pro) From being logged into the email account:

Either press the Windows Key + R to show the run box, or click the search and type/copy in lusrmgr.msc if using "run" the below will open, if using search click on the result.

This will bring up the Local users and groups.

BE CAREFUL Wiping the wrong account wont be to pleasant. you'll be swearing trust me ;)

Click on the Users Folder, you should see the other account you dont want, right click it / Delete - there will be a warning about losing data etc, so if theres any data in that account it WILL be lost forever. Once removed, reboot and you should only now have the email account.

Once the account has gone and rebooted change the email account to a local: described local-account-switch-windows-10 (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5374-local-account-switch-windows-10-a.html).
Scroll down to "heres How" number 4. If you dont want a password, simply leave it blank and windows will boot directly to the desktop.

Driftwood
05-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Well the mystery account dosent seem to be in the list.
Have got

Administrator
DefaultAccount
User/owner

wainuitech
05-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Whats the account named ? (the one you cant remove) It may give a hint as to what computer lounge have done, esp if they used a sysprepped image to install W10.

Driftwood
05-01-2016, 06:46 PM
The one being used is a gmail address.
The other one is a outlook address.
Both were apparently setup by the son, to try & get the default mail app to work.
He succeeded in getting it to receive only.
I had wondered if deleting the relevant account from the mail app would help.
But havent gone there as yet.

I had already saved the user mail accounts, contacts, & folders to the owners external hard drive, ready to import to the new system.
The owner was intending to continue using window live mail, as he was familiar with it.
But the son knew best.

Now, I have succeeded in getting rid of the lock screen that was popping up prior to the logon & after doing that there is just the one logon showing now.
So we are slowly getting there.

mzee
05-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Could it be a BIOS password?

Driftwood
05-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Well, I must admit, I never considered that.

wainuitech
05-01-2016, 10:28 PM
The one being used is a gmail address.
The other one is a outlook address.
Both were apparently setup by the son, to try & get the default mail app to work.

Now, I have succeeded in getting rid of the lock screen that was popping up prior to the logon & after doing that there is just the one logon showing now.
So we are slowly getting there.

Hmmmm little bit confusing post 3:

Thats not a email address as posted above.

The default email app in W10 almost sets its self up, all you need to enter is a Name, valid email Address and password, it does the rest.

Sounds like he doesn't really know what hes doing. Prob knows enough to be dangerous, then doesn't have the knowledge to reverse the actions.

IF the working email account (log on) has been done correctly then the above post that I posted should work to convert to a Local account.

BTW--A BIOS password normally is only accessed / Set when booting into the BIOS, Computer lounge wouldn't have put one on that locks the user out of the motherboard options and not given them the password.

Driftwood
06-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Ok, I'll try & to clarify the confusion, but may just make it worse.
I made a mistake describing the two entries earlier.

After a reboot.
You are prompted with the logon screen showing the users name & underneath that, is written "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again"
Under that is just an ok button.
Click on that & you see the two choices at left bottom of screen.

First one is the users name with his ihug email address underneath.
Second is just the users name. This one is highlighted.

In the centre is the users name.
Under that is a box with the users first name.
Under that is the password box. We dont know the password for this.

Select the first entry, put in the known password & you are in.

If I put the tick back in the box to require password, you then only have the second option to login to on reboot.

If I try to switch to a local account, you are prompted with the blue box to verify password.
But the only known password is not accepted.

So can't proceed beyond this point.
Was wondering if the uses ihug email password may work here, but can't get hold of him atm

Driftwood
06-01-2016, 03:25 PM
We can put this thread to bed.

Got it sorted.

Created a new local user without password.

wainuitech
06-01-2016, 05:04 PM
That was going to be one of the next suggestions, then delete the other, making sure the new one is an administrator account first, OR wipe the drive and start again, this time do it yourself and setup as wanted :)

Driftwood
06-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Yeah, turned into a bit of a marathon but got there in the end.
Thanks for the help.
Talked him into putting nod32 on it, thought it might keep him away from the more dodgy sites.

Even got a bottle of scotch out it.

Driftwood
12-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Just had a call from the owner of this system.
Somehow windows live mail has uninstalled itself from his system.
Gone from installed programs & gone from program files
Mr nobody has uninstalled it since it was used yesterday.
I guess I have to go round & reinstall it.
But was just wondering, is there any way MS could have done it during an update to promote using their default mail app.

Just an afterthought.
Whats the earliest version of Windows Live Mail that will run on Win 10.
I know the users were struggling with the latest version after coming from Windows Mail in Vista