PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Firefox

KenESmith
29-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Firefox updated on 27 December and ceased to work.
I am running a Apple as a virtual PC with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and using Firefox as my browser.On Sunday 27 December Firefox automatically updated, and when the update was complete, Firefox would not connect to the internet, no home page etc, if one selected a website, nothing would happen.
I tried to download Firefox over my existing installation, and the problem persisted.
I uninstalled Firefox and downloaded again with exactly the same result.
The computer will connect to the internet, as now using Google Chrome.
I have been using Firefox for over 10 years and this is the first major problem i have experienced.
The only prior problems I have recently had is several crashes of Firefox in the preceding month month, that don't seem to have any apparent cause.

I am at a loss, i prefer to use Firefox as a browser, and am wondering whether the problem may have come from a virus, but i don't have internet browsing habits that are rsisky.

Any ideas or suggestions please.

Ken Smith

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2015, 11:13 AM
See if anything has added a proxy. Change it to no proxy under connections if you reinstall firefox again

Could be something that you've installed (like a toolbar or addon that's crashing FF). If you install it again, check what's added itself if ccleaner is installed under startup/firefox

pctek
29-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I uninstalled Firefox and downloaded again with exactly the same result.

I suspect the uninstall didn't get all of it. It usually doesn't. Uninstall then manually remove all other folder entries etc.

Nikit07
29-12-2015, 07:39 PM
I suspect the uninstall didn't get all of it. It usually doesn't. Uninstall then manually remove all other folder entries etc.

I had the same issue and solved it this way. Make sure you get Firefox to remove all user preferences on uninstall then go sift through your files and get rid of everything Firefox. Restart then install again.

KenESmith
01-01-2016, 07:16 PM
I had the same issue and solved it this way. Make sure you get Firefox to remove all user preferences on uninstall then go sift through your files and get rid of everything Firefox. Restart then install again.
thank you all for your suggestions, went carefully through the process and cleared everything Fire Fox and did a clean install - its working fine now.

feersumendjinn
01-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Just for future reference :-)

If you wish to completely remove this data, you must manually delete the Firefox folder containing your user profile:

Click the Windows Start button and select Run….
Type in %APPDATA% in the Run prompt then click OK.
Open the Mozilla folder.
Delete the Firefox folder.

Uninstall Firefox from your computer | Firefox Help
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer

Dont forget to save your bookmarks first, if you want to keep them.

mzee
02-01-2016, 06:42 PM
I use "Revo-Uninstaller". This cleans all relevant left over files, folders & registry entries.