PDA

View Full Version : Spark HG659b Fibre Modem changing LAN settings

Geek4414
19-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Pulling my hair out trying to change the new Spark HG659b fibre modem IP from 192.168.1.254 to match my existing modem of 192.168.2.1, so I don't need to change everything else in the house. Sometimes it let me save the new IP but it reverts back to default the moment I navigate away from the page and back. Or sometimes it won't even let me save the new IP, keeps saying 192.168.2.1 is not a valid IP address! Never ever had any issue changing the LAN address on any modems before, and I have done dozens of them.

Trying to contact Spark and have 1.5 hour wait time, cordless phone is going to run flat waiting for it. Lodged a call back on their web site and wait time is 5 hours 54 minutes >_<

Since the arrival of the modem, they have decided to cut our copper phone line off without notice as well. Even though the tech is booked for Mid January to do the integrated wiring. Luckily I can still get our phone working by connecting the base phone for the cordless to the ONT in the garage. Talk about left hand not talking to the right hand! I bet they must be dealing with zillions irate people who have their phones cut off and didn't know what to do.

jontee
19-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Same sort of thing happened to me a while back and was told that the copper would still be alive and it was, so just put things back into the old phone jack till things were sorted.

Geek4414
19-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Same sort of thing happened to me a while back and was told that the copper would still be alive and it was, so just put things back into the old phone jack till things were sorted.

The copper line is definitely cut off for us, all the phones had the cut off dial tone. It only works if connected directly to the ONT in the garage.

I bet Spark has screwed up heaps of people's phone, the call back went from 5 hours 50 minutes to TOTALLY broken, can't even open that page now.

By the way, I might have found the problem with changing the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1 ... I R'TFM https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/changing-the-lan-host-ip-address-huawei-hg659-hg659b/

"The guest Wi-Fi feature has been defaulted to use IP range 192.168.2.x by design and will not work if amended. However, using a different IP range e.g. 192.168.0.1 will work."

So it appears that the 192.168.2.x segment must have been used already and I can't set it as the LAN IP. Can some expert confirm my suspicion?

wainuitech
19-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Can you disable the Guest so the main should be able to be reset. Normally I dont work with the guest settings, if anyone wants access then the owner gives them the password /SSID.

bk T
19-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Have a read here (https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/changing-the-lan-host-ip-address-huawei-hg659-hg659b/)

Geek4414
21-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Can you disable the Guest so the main should be able to be reset. Normally I dont work with the guest settings, if anyone wants access then the owner gives them the password /SSID.

The Guest Network was default to off. I ticked the box to enable it and there was no provision to change the LAN setting, only the 2.4GHz/5GHz SSID and password >_<

By the way, they have suddenly decided to switch our phone back to copper and cut off the fibre phone service without notice (again). Only found out when the phone rung and it was the desk phone that was still connected to copper rung, the cordless phones plugged into the ONT went dead. They did eventually called later to tell us that they have switched us back to copper and they "will not" make any further changes until the tech has done the integrated wiring.

Geek4414
21-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Have a read here (https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/changing-the-lan-host-ip-address-huawei-hg659-hg659b/)

Thanks, but that's where I tried to change the IP anyway and being told 192.168.2.1 is not a valid IP address. I can change the IP on dozens of modems and some managed switch through CLI only but never came across this issue before. May be I need to see if there is info on how to SSH/Telnet in and bypass the GUI to set the IP.

Looks like I am not the only one suffering from this and there is some CLI info on this page. Will give it a go ...
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/499277-change-ip-address-on-a-business-HG659B-modem

Geek4414
21-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately admin/admin does not work in Telnet, so can't try the CLI work around.

21-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Ive come across various strange issues from some ISP supplied routers.
The easiest fix is to replace it,buy something better. Sometimes thats the only fix.

Have you checked to see if theres a Firmware upgrade ?

Geek4414
21-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Ive come across various strange issues from some ISP supplied routers.
The easiest fix is to replace it,buy something better. Sometimes thats the only fix.

Have you checked to see if theres a Firmware upgrade ?

Tried a firmware update, no luck. Still the same.

Also tried first disabling DHCP server on the modem, reboot, then try to change the IP, still showing 192.168.2.1 is not valid. I think the only 'potential' way to fix it is to change the Guest Network settings, but there does not seem to be anyway to do it in the GUI and Telnet didn't like the default password. Grrrrr

Just got the plan changed from 100/50 to 200/20 and the existing Spark supplied modem only has 100Mbps LAN ports, so keen to get this new modem working to take advantage of the increased speed download speed and WiFi-ac.

By the way, in case people wonder why I must change the LAN IP. I can't VPN into the my own network while out and about if my modem is set to 192.168.1.x. Most places I connect in from also used 192.168.1.x, attempting to reach anything on my own network fails because their modem/router keeps the traffic on the local LAN instead of over the VPN connection, because it thinks what I want to reach should be on the local LAN. It only works if my home LAN is on a different segment. I guess I could pick a different segment to 192.168.2.x, but it also means I have to reconfigure all my Servers and NAS driver etc to the new segment.

bk T
21-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Thanks, but that's where I tried to change the IP anyway and being told 192.168.2.1 is not a valid IP address. I can change the IP on dozens of modems and some managed switch through CLI only but never came across this issue before. May be I need to see if there is info on how to SSH/Telnet in and bypass the GUI to set the IP.

Looks like I am not the only one suffering from this and there is some CLI info on this page. Will give it a go ...
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/499277-change-ip-address-on-a-business-HG659B-modem

It's mentioned there that you can't change to 192.168.2.1 :

" ...
Currently you are unable to change the Subnet Mask on the Huawei HG659. We are working on resolving this issue.
The guest Wi-Fi feature has been defaulted to use IP range 192.168.2.x by design and will not work if amended. However, using a different IP range e.g. 192.168.0.1 will work."

Geek4414
21-12-2015, 01:43 PM
It's mentioned there that you can't change to 192.168.2.1 :

" ...
Currently you are unable to change the Subnet Mask on the Huawei HG659. We are working on resolving this issue.
The guest Wi-Fi feature has been defaulted to use IP range 192.168.2.x by design and will not work if amended. However, using a different IP range e.g. 192.168.0.1 will work."

Yes, I read that too. The subnet mask cannot be changed but I don't need to change that. The fact that it says the guest network "will not work if amended" kind of implies that it 'can' be amended.

May be I just need to bite the bullet and change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1 or anything other than 192.168.2.x o_O

linw
21-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Yep, you could have changed your network by now!!

Sometimes it's better to avoid heads and brickwalls coming into contact.

Geek4414
21-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Yep, you could have changed your network by now!!

Sometimes it's better to avoid heads and brickwalls (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=head+and+brickwall+gif&safe=off&biw=1920&bih=935&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiskti9xOzJAhXBQKYKHXYBBKEQ_AUIBigB#safe =off&tbm=isch&q=head+and+brickwall+animated+gif&imgrc=RqH3xYC-x6z3dM%3A) coming into contact.

Call me stubborn. LOL. I just could not believe that it has hard coded LAN IP for the guest network and no way of telling that from the GUI. It's ok for me to re-configure everything, as I can do it myself, imagine having to pay someone to do all this?!

We were made to change to the new plan which was the start of all these problem. Starting with the modem turning up, and they decided to cut off my copper phone line without notice that afternoon and switch it to fibre phone line 3 weeks before the tech is due to install the integrated wiring. After waiting eons on the phone, finally talked to an overseas help desk who pretty much just want to palm us off to someone else. They then decided to switch us back to copper in the weekend, again without notice; only noticed it when the old desk phone still attached to copper line rung. We discovered that they have also ditched our caller ID service and with that we just clicked that they also disconnected my second number which is my business number. Just as well most of my clients call me on my mobile. Now confirming that the modem is not configurable and I'll have to reconfigure every network devices in my network as well >_< (http://www.tickettoanywhere.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Star-Trek-crying.gif).

Who knows how long it will take them to sort out our phone service, their call back request page is still broken, not looking forward to the phone loop hell tomorrow trying to get hold of them.

22-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Call me stubborn. LOL. I just could not believe that it has hard coded LAN IP for the guest network and no way of telling that from the GUI. It's ok for me to re-configure everything, as I can do it myself, imagine having to pay someone to do all this?! .

surely you jest

Because these are cheap, made for the masses, giveaway routers.
PLUS, they have backdoors & IP's hard coded for the ISP's benefit . Possibly ports hard coded as well, as some ports wont forward via DMZ on some ISP routers.
PLUS, they are customised for the ISP, locked down(?) for the ISP, possibly adding a few bugs
PLUS being customized for the ISP, the manufacturers usual firmware updates may not work on them, so may never get the latest firmware(I assume)

Replace it. Its that simple.

Geek4414
22-12-2015, 10:51 AM
surely you jest

Because these are cheap, made for the masses, giveaway routers.
PLUS, they have backdoors & IP's hard coded for the ISP's benefit . Possibly ports hard coded as well, as some ports wont forward via DMZ on some ISP routers.
PLUS, they are customised for the ISP, locked down(?) for the ISP, possibly adding a few bugs
PLUS being customized for the ISP, the manufacturers usual firmware updates may not work on them, so may never get the latest firmware(I assume)

Replace it. Its that simple.

The point is that they seem to have total disregard on people's systems when they make changes. Spark screwed up a few businesses' VoIP systems when replaced modems, just put in the new one and never bothered to set up any of the port forwarding or even let the clients know that they had to be done. The clients lost their phone systems and wondered why, ended up having to pay two lots of people to sort out the VoIP settings and other network issues after the "free" modem replacement. That's what I mean by if someone has to pay to fix their stuff ups.

They also made changes to their business mail hosted domain email couple of weeks ago, my client's email was down for over a week, not even the web mail would work. I am a bit up to my eye balls with their stuff up recently, that's all.

Alex B
23-12-2015, 02:59 AM
Those are cost of doing business. Things change with IT stuff it's that simple.

23-12-2015, 09:43 AM
The point is that they seem to have total disregard on people's systems when they make changes. Spark screwed up a few businesses' VoIP systems when replaced modems, just put in the new one and never bothered to set up any of the port forwarding or even let the clients know that they had to be done. The clients lost their phone systems and wondered why, ended up having to pay two lots of people to sort out the VoIP settings and other network issues after the "free" modem replacement. .

I would ask, why would anyone assume that a new 'free' (ie its cheap & nasty) modem would ~just work as is~ in a corporate system , with VOIP .
Surely, thats what IT support is there for, to sort through these issues , before they happen.
Its no different from when a company changes ISP, then gets a big surprise that no email is coming into the server , because they didnt want to pay for maybe an hour IT support before hand.
Its not the ISP job to reconfigure modems for every install. Thats the job of IT support .

Its been well known about issues some 'free' modems have . Thats an issue that goes back many years .
We used to throw 'free' modems straight into then bin a few years back.

Im not saying that this is OK, its just the way it is and has been for quite some time.
Weve come across DMZ issues with some new free routers: even with DMZ, some ports are still blocked or wont forward. Simple fix was replace it.

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2015, 01:17 AM
I would ask, why would anyone assume that a new 'free' (ie its cheap & nasty) modem would ~just work as is~ in a corporate system , with VOIP .
Its not the ISP job to reconfigure modems for every install. Thats the job of IT support .

Coz, they're usually branded as "Business-ready" with "VoIP Support".

Far too often things like SIP ALG or the Stateful packet inspection get in the way though...