PDA

View Full Version : How to copy a customized user account in windows 10

undiejuice
13-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi,

How do you copy a customized user account (with shortcuts, Firefox settings, taskbar etc) so it becomes the "default" for every new account on your network?
From what I have read so far on websites that talk about this subject and including Microsoft, using Sysprep or CopyProfile are the only tools that do this, but I get the impression this works on image files or when you are installing Windows for the very first time.

I think if you copy NTUSER. DAT file this should copy all of your customization settings????? Anyone got any ideas or suggestions.
Cheers

wainuitech
13-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Dont know if you have seen the following article https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1116739-customizing-windows-10-default-profile-w-o-copyprofile Some have tried with varying success. Read through all the posts, a few mention what you asked about simply copying NTUSER. DAT and failed.

It also depends on how you want to use the default profile ? Microsoft have changed quite a few options that used to work in earlier versions of windows.

so it becomes the "default" for every new account on your network? Can you expand out a bit more on that ?

Is this for deploying on many machines, which of course you would need a volume license, or whats the objective ?

undiejuice
13-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Hi Wainuitech,

What I am trying to achieve is, when my extended family arrive this xmas, each one will have their own account with the same shortcuts available; the same firefox addons; the same menu and options available as I do! Sure, I can let Windows create a account (using the default profile) for each family member, but this means I have to manually do this at least 16 times, is going to be time consuming. Yet, some of my own family members may want to bring their own computers, and If they do, then this is less work for me.

I am just trying to find an easier method, where I can create one template for all, every new profile. I don't have heaps of machines, 3 at the most, only my laptop is currently using Win10 and the other 2 are Win7. I haven't tried this method since Windows XP and it also appears to be a similar issue, just like with Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 as well. (I stand to be corrected)

wainuitech
13-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Awhhhhhhhhhh right. :) fully understand what you are trying to do. But normally it would be done when using sysprep along with a answer file or new install/deployment. Its easy enough to create a .xml file, but again thats used in sysprep, not on existing installs.

Found This article (http://superuser.com/questions/822226/reuse-windows-user-local-account-settings-export-them-as-back-up) which the answer kind of explains why. Along with This discussion, same subject (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174369-windows-10-start-menu-layout-exportbackupimport/)

If you had a Server Eg: 2012 or similar, you could create a image and deploy it on multi PC's, BUT I dear say your extended family may not be to happy you wiping their drives and setting up the New OS/Install.

I have custom Images I use myself, but they are loaded from the server and always on a fresh install. With W10 as long as its already been loaded previously its a piece of cake, if not then I enter the persons own license key.

Maybe someone else can find or suggest a working solution.

14-12-2015, 10:58 AM
On Xp, we used to just create a new user then copy the 'old' users folders straight over
So , try a search on copying windows user accounts/profiles

try this (From google)
From Win7 to Win7 : Go to RUN and type MIGWIZ.

- Run the MIGWIZ tool to export the user profile to eg. an external network source.
We use the users home folder since this is a common network source available on both the OLD as NEW computer.
- On the NEW host run the Windows Easy Transfer or MIGWIZ tool again and IMPORT the profile

wainuitech
14-12-2015, 12:13 PM
According to Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer is no longer installed / Available in W10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10

Just tried it on W10 :( Not available

bevy121
14-12-2015, 01:27 PM
and yet again - win 10 sure is good!! (said with a sarcastic voice...)

undiejuice
14-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks for your help any way guys.

Sure looks complex, so I'm not sure what to do. To save the hassle, I might jus leave it as is and let Windows do its thing...........cheers.