PDA

View Full Version : CPU running at 100%

30-12-2001, 09:10 PM
I have Norton Utilities on my Pent II 300. The monitor shows that my CPU is being used at 100% level, especially after I have connected to Internet or used my email program Outlook express.

Everything runs slowly. I sometimes have to re-boot to get whatever is writing to the Disk out of the system.

I have 256mgs RAM.
How can I check what is causing this or how do I get rid of it?
Replies Appreciated. Have a GOOD NEW YEAR.

30-12-2001, 10:21 PM
I suggest you try getting rid of nortons Utilities. I found that it definately ate up resorces on my win 98 p233 system. I would have to reboot every day. With out it the comp could run for 3-4 days with no problems
Just keep the anti-virus part of nortons

30-12-2001, 10:40 PM
the only nortons things that need to be running are antivirus and cleansweep/smartsweep

check what programs and processors are running. it sounds like you have to much running.

31-12-2001, 12:01 AM
Probably it's a good idea to get rid of Norton except the AntiVirus part.

Try: CTRL+ALT+DEL click Task Manager to check what are the programs are running and terminate (End) them wherever necessary.

Good Luck
Alex

31-12-2001, 12:30 AM
mayby alex and b g can shed some light on this- how can a program that isn't running or loaded into memory slow a system down?

i can't see the point of uninstalling tools which can be usefull

31-12-2001, 02:03 AM
I had the same thing using norton utilites 3 on a win 98 pIII 450.

I read somewhere (I think in the help for norton) how to troubleshoot it, and that that 100% was wrong or a reverse or something.

I closed the system docter thing as i never used it, and it greatly increased speed when i turned it off. It seems constant checks on things like that eat resources.

I also suggest u clean up your hard drive depending on how full it is.

happy new year

31-12-2001, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'll work through what you have said.

I've had Norton Utilities on my system for years and never had any problems or conflicts.

Some error messages I did get was this: 'Outlook Express Folder sync window class' (Not responding) also 'Kernel32' - not responding.
and 'msqsrv32' - not responding.

Thanks again. Ev

01-01-2002, 12:31 PM
You are quite right Evan.

There is a lot of hate out there for Norton Utilities.

I believe this may be because some of us do not like to hear bad news.

Incidentally, it is the Norton Virus program that slow things down, you can see this by running Norton Disk speed checker from System Information. Take readings both without and then with Norton Antivirus; you can get as much as 30% slowing.

I disable the Crashguard as it tells you of problems but does not fix them, so who needs it?

The 100% utilisation is telling you something, and you would be correct in looking further.
Good luck!