PDA

View Full Version : computer locks up

30-12-2001, 11:42 AM
Hi, my computer tends to lock up solid when I am on the internet, sometimes I just open Internet Explorer and it locks up I have IE5.5, some days it works fine, other days it locks up all the time. I have a intel celeron 333cpu with 128 Ram and a 10 Gig hard drive. It has a conexant HCF PCI Modem installed. I would appreciate any advice, thanks, Tina.

30-12-2001, 12:08 PM
It's quite likely that modem causing the problem.

It's IRQ could be clashing with something else in your computer.

What Operating System do you use?

30-12-2001, 04:04 PM
Iam using windows 98SE. If it was the modem why does it sometimes lock up before I even get to click on connect?. The modem is new I only had it put in a month ago.

31-12-2001, 12:48 PM
' ... my computer tends to lock up solid when I am on the internet' ... 'some days it works fine, other days it locks up all the time' ... 'I have checked settings with ISP and they are all fine' ... 'I am trying to work out if it is something to do with the internet or the computer ...'

Two questions:

* Do you use Actrix Networks (?)

* Do you connect using, either, one of their 4 City localised phone numbers [being Auck, Ham, Wgtn or ChCh] - and/or the national number 086722874 (?)

If the answer is YES to *both* questions, please post back - i have (an) answer and work around to your annoyance.

e_

31-12-2001, 05:30 PM
no I do not use Actrix networks. I use zfree and xtra.