PDA

View Full Version : Cripes! invasion of the blue screen occuring

29-12-2001, 02:06 PM
I have recently been invaded by the constant appearance of the dreaded blue screen. I have been receiving various OE and OD errors whilst doing different tasks and now seem to be getting a lot of the following type of errors:

An exception has occurred.... 0028:C000E8BC in VxD VMM(01)+0000D8BC This was called from 0028:C004AC56 in VxD VFAT(01)+0000B23F

After hitting enter, another similiar error messages occurs and either the system shuts down and reboots, freezes or just continues as per norm for a while.

I have tried a system restore but the point I go back to has no Norton Virus list files so I had to undo the restore. I am feeling a little desperate now - is this major problem (ie should I return the computer for an expert to look at) or this just simple (for me) fix?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

SYSTEM: 933 mHz Pentium, Memory Cache 256K, Windows ME, NVIDIA GeForce 2 Mx.

(Not sure what other info is useful)

29-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Jen

Do the restore again if it gave you a stable system.

You can then either do a live update of your AV data files or reinstall Norton AV completely then update the virus signatures.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

30-12-2001, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice Billy T

I am still relunctant to do the restore again as updating ALL the Norton AV will be a major download. I didn't stay with the first restore long enough to see if the system was stable again anyway.

I have now been running ScanDisk before and after every session on the computer and it usually detects errors in the post-session run. Is there anyway of finding what the errors were and targeting that problem area specifically? So far the system hasn't crashed or brought up error messages since doing the repeated ScanDisk (touch wood!), but I would like to fix the problem for good.

Some of the error codes look like they are associated with virtual memory problems - is there a easy way of checking for this? (errors usually occur when playing Adventure Pinball)

So many questions, I hope you don't mind.

Thanks - Jen :-)