PDA

View Full Version : Beta version!! Sick of installing all the XP patches!!

29-12-2001, 02:02 PM
Did Windows XP ever leave the Beta stage?

I am all for progress, but I am amazed (fed up) at just how many patches or should I say ?updates? that the Windows XP operating system has been required to install since its release just a few months ago. From memory at the last count it was about 14 ?updates?, which takes hours over a dial-up connection. Many are large files that also require a reboot between each install and of course a reconnection to the ISP. It makes a future reformat a real hassle indeed.

Sure, I could just not install the patches but this would put me at risk from certain vulnerabilities so I don?t really have any choice.

Come on Bill; give us a fair deal here. We've just pumped millions into your coffers so how about a (regular) free updates CD for those users who don?t want to face half a day downloading all these files.

29-12-2001, 03:05 PM
Most modern OS have numerous large patches and updates. (Even non MS ones :)
Perhaps it's time you looked into broadband internet?
Or a Technet subscription if you can't get broadband.

29-12-2001, 05:54 PM
I've just got XP after upgrading from ME and I have to agree that the updates, whether on broadband or not, has been more than most people would have expected from an OS that has just been released. I have used all operating systems since Windows 95 and this is the first time I have encountered such a prolific number of updates. Not a great welcome to a new operating system.

I think it is missing the point to say that someone needs to pay extra for fast Internet access to correct problems that should not have occurred in the first place.

30-12-2001, 07:25 PM
I agree completely.... out of interest, how many of you upgraded to XP, when your previous OS was adequate. Me, I am going to spend my dosh on a DVD drive or something as satisfying

31-12-2001, 03:20 AM
hi Everybody,

I don't know why so many people are so unhappy about XP. I have found it to be stable right out of the box. The patches have not really taken THAT long to apply (only about 20 minutes tops at ~5KB/s). I feel many people must naturally be luddites -XP is crammed full of new useful features. Free update CDs? -it's far more ecologically sound to use the Internet surely.

31-12-2001, 10:00 AM
I'm still getting automatic on-line patches for Windows ME.

As regular readers of this service and Computerworld will be aware, I retreated from XP after it proved unstable (allegedly because I didn't first delete absolutely everything that might be incompatible). It took me about three weeks to re-stabilise ME.

I have been advised to do a complete reformat and a clean install of XP, but when I tried experimentally to re-upgrade, my product key was rejected - before I got to the choice-point between clean install and upgrade. (I would not have practically tried a re-upgrade as it would really mess up my registry.)

Microsoft's helpdesk assures me that this problem (presumably a picky bit of anti-piracy precaution) can be fixed.

But would you reformat your hard disk on the strength of a promise like that?

Is there anyone out there who's done the same - upgraded, had problems, unwound it then successfully done a clean reinstall?

Steve B.

31-12-2001, 04:13 PM
Anon...
As most people are on a dial-up connection then this qualifies as the majority of users and I can assure you that it is impossible to download all the updates in 20 minutes. It takes many hours!! Thus the need to have these available on an updated CD. You don?t want to re-download them all after a reformat.

As for being 'ecologically sound', I'm sure that many would choose the CD option first. People don't like to wait for anything including Microsoft's offerings.

02-01-2002, 12:34 AM
As a new user to xp i wonder have i missed something?I have done all the updates & would have to agree with anon that they are'nt that time consuming & i'm a rural dial up user!!i do them all at once & walk away come back & its ready-none have taken hours & my last update was 7 at once!Being the first system i've had in years i have to agree with anon its got all the extra features-but i have'nt had to reinstall anything-and did have a few teething probs but overall rate it tops!!
From a novice - I wonder if Bernard could have a problem with his modem settings or something??to be getting such a slow rate of download - as i said i'm rural & expect my speeds to be slow!But thats unreal!!I guess it might be good to have a C.D but i still have to agree with anon - even though i do agree that XP should'nt need these patches I thought it was normal with most systems!!