PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading laptop from Vista and IE9

tinakarori
05-12-2015, 04:49 PM
My wife has a 7 year old HP laptop running Vista OS and Internet Explorer 9. Recently she has been getting messages from her online bank and other normal websites to the effect that they no longer support IE9, and recommend that the laptop be upgraded to IE10 or higher. I have checked, and apparently Vista cannot be upgraded beyond IE9, so it seems we are looking at upgrading both the OS and IE. I have now run the MS Upgrade Advisor on the laptop, and its specs could handle either Win 7 32-bit or Win 8.

The laptop only gets used intermittently for email, Google, and occasional online banking transactions, and now that we are both semi-retired my wife isn't interested in buying a new laptop unless that is unavoidable.

I am aware that neither Win 7 nor 8 can now be bought new, but I think unused CD for them can be found, and I have absolutely no intention at present of putting Win 10 on any computer in this household. The reports from Upgrade Advisor tend to suggest that Win 7 would present fewer potential issues with the laptop's components and peripherals. What upgrade advice can people offer?

Driftwood
05-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Maybe install another browser.
Chrome or Firefox for example.

tinakarori
05-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks Driftwood. Changing to another browser like Chrome or Safari was also suggested by the bank message, but neither of us have any experience with them. How do they compare to use, as against IE? I've only used MS software since Win 3.1 days - Win, IE, and Office - both at work and at home.

wainuitech
05-12-2015, 05:13 PM
I am aware that neither Win 7 nor 8 can now be bought new Thats actually incorrect. :)

You can still get Windows 7 PRO new, W7 home you no longer can. Windows 8.1 you can also still get new.

As Driftwood recommends, just use another browser if the OS does everything else you want it to do. They are free.

Theres several about, in no particular order.

Fire Fox
Pale Moon ( A Variant of FF)
Chrome

Edited: Late posting :D Palemoon would be more like IE 9 than Firefox.. Look at it like this. Firefox and Chrome look similar, IE9 and pale moon look similar.

if you can use IE9 OK you'll find Palemoon is almost identical. https://www.palemoon.org/screenshots.shtml

Give it a go -- Click on the link and then Web installer https://www.palemoon.org/

dugimodo
05-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Yeah install a browser or two and try them first, easy and free and nothing lost if it doesn't work.

If you can find windows 7 it's close enough to the same as vista that it'll be very familiar to use. windows 8 or 10 will be a much bigger change.
You've already said you don't want windows 10, that would've been my suggestion over 7 & 8 personally.

Greg
06-12-2015, 07:11 AM
You'll probably have a bit of a learning curve, but as suggested Palemoon would be the simplest.