PDA

View Full Version : Use your computer to help find a cure to cancer

28-12-2001, 10:28 PM
This isn't a problem, but I thought it's worth posting in here anyway.

I read in the Reader's Digest today (got a subscription for Christmas) about a big co-operation of people around the world who are using their own computers to help in the search for a cure to cancer. You join this site, download the software, and the software uses unused processing power of your PC while its running to do calculations and tasks etc. in the hope to find a cure. Sounds worthwhile. They even offer points etc. for amount of work done or something (I'm not too sure, I'm downloading the software now.)

The site is http://www.ud.com/ and its got heaps of things to read up all about it if you want to know more.

28-12-2001, 10:35 PM
What's geekier thou, using your spare processing power to help find a cure for cancer, or using it to help detect extraterrestrial activity.

JM

28-12-2001, 10:42 PM
To be honest, I'd rather help find a cure to cancer... I know more people with cancer than have been abducted by aliens.

29-12-2001, 06:17 PM
Light hearted comment:

I pity the poor unfortunate extra terrestrials if our so called 'civilisation' ever finds out where they are.

Stop the alien search!!

More seriously, keep up the good work on the cancer cure search.

LL

30-12-2001, 04:23 PM
Denying that you have not been abducted by aliens is PROOF that you were.

Why don't we make a system which WILL save the world -- use all the spare computing power in the world to debug Microsoft OSs and applications.

Of course, all the spare computing time might be inadequate ...