PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Tablet email

Bryden
25-11-2015, 03:43 PM
My elderly friend has a Samsung Galaxy tablet on which she receives all her email..... She is getting the message that her "storage is approaching capacity" (my words), so I assume that somewhere there is a tick in the box which says "leave a copy on the server".... this happened previously and she took it back to the shop and I assumed they would have corrected that for her, but obviously not..... I have had a look at Email settings but cannot see anywhere to fix this problem. Any advice where to look would be much appreciated..... TIA

Bryden

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Could mean it's running out of space on the tablet itself, and nothing to do with the email.

Bryden
25-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh OK.... I had been assuming that she was deleting them as she went.... maybe not..... Hopefully it is not a long-winded process to delete months of emails! Yikes.....

wainuitech
25-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Oh OK.... I had been assuming that she was deleting them as she went.... maybe not..... Hopefully it is not a long-winded process to delete months of emails! Yikes..... Easy way to find out which is causing the message.
On the tablet look in the settings under storage it will show how much is used. You can also log into web mail using the email address and password. If there's pages of mail, then delete them.

26-11-2015, 12:30 PM
I thought the default on these things was to auto delete from the tab/phone after say 30 days?
Also, check that the email is set to LEAVE a copy of emails on the 'server' (should be the default)

Has she filled the tablet storage up with photos/music perhaps ?
Look for settings like not to autodownload attachments etc.
Try setting up the email again with imap, not pop3 (usually the default)

Bryden
30-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Turns out that it is email on the server causing the problem - I did delete the emails on her tablet which were surplus to requirements.... however, I could not get into the Vodafone site because each time I tried to open a window it said they were all in use and it couldn't do so..... so it has gone to the shop to be sorted out.... frankly this should have been sorted the last time it went in for the same issue - they should have taken the tick out of the box to leave a copy on the server, or at least checked delete after 10 days.

I have noticed previously that when she has the browser open there are heaps of tabs open along the top and even though I touch the X on each to delete same, nothing happens.... any clues how that could be fixed? My niece has a newer Samsung tablet and if she swipes from bottom to top (or vice versa - cannot remember), it gives her a list of the open tabs and a link to Clear which closes/deletes them all.... did not work on my friends gadget unfortunately.

Bryden
02-12-2015, 02:07 PM
The computer shop blamed large photos. being sent from her daughter overseas.... hmmmm..... Cannot see why that would result in squillions of tabs remaining open when she uses the browser.... next time I visit I will check that that isn't still happening.

1101 - notice your comment that the email should be set to leave a copy on the server - why? Surely that is just going to use up her server storage space - and hence her receiving messages from Vodafone that she was running out of room.....

03-12-2015, 08:15 AM
1101 - notice your comment that the email should be set to leave a copy on the server - why? Surely that is just going to use up her server storage space - and hence her receiving messages from Vodafone that she was running out of room.....

In many cases, the TAB is just a secondary device & they want to also download the same email to a PC or laptop. I take it thats not the case here .

Of course, if you have limited storage space on the email server , then email has to be deleted off the server.

Just keep in mind, if/when the Tablet has issues, she might loose all the emails on that tablet . I wouldnt ever trust a Tablet or phone to store all my emails.

03-12-2015, 08:27 AM
For the Browser issue, you could try installing another Browser, Chrome, Maxthon etc

wainuitech
03-12-2015, 09:47 AM
The computer shop blamed large photos. being sent from her daughter overseas.... hmmmm..... Cannot see why that would result in squillions of tabs remaining open when she uses the browser.... next time I visit I will check that that isn't still happening.

That should only happen if the settings were set to open pictures automatically.

Large photos DO still cause problems as many people think its fine to send a 10MB picture :groan: They have no idea that mail servers and the protocols are NOT unlimited.
Large attachments are often the cause of mail being clogged up, or stopped altogether.