PDA

View Full Version : Nod 32 antivirus

effie c
19-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

I have used the above for many years, very happily and successfully, and in which time I see 88 quarantined files, which were at that total, long ago, and testing it shows it appears to be O K.

Question:
No fresh attacks have been quarantined for some time-- is that because no attacks have happened, or has Nod 32 ceased working-

Any of my weekly "housekeeping" cleanups usually find perhaps 10 Malware and nothing else

---or am I being paranoid ;-)

I am using W 10 Pro with absolute success and even when advised to run a "sfc/scannow" test yesterday, still that found nothing wrong. W 10Pro really sounds too good to be true---but it sure is working for me
:clap

Effie c

wainuitech
19-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Just because theres no atatcks doesn't mean its not working. Mine stays silent for ages, if I go to Errrrrrrrr sites that I know will trigger it, its always blocked, or download a test file it stops it dead.

You can upgrade to version 9 if you haven't already. The check for product upgrade doesn't always bring through V9 for some reason, but you can do it manually.

Download the Live installer for what you have : http://www.eset.com/us/support/download/home/

Click on the Download, Next page select "I have already Purchased" and a small installer will come through, run it, and it will upgrade.

Once its installed you'll be presented with a Licence window, select I have a user Name and password, (it will give you a new Code.) Esets site opens and you may need to enter your User Name and Password, so have the original User Name/ Password handy.Click Convert, and copy /paste the new code into Nod32 - Activate.

They have changed from User Names/Passwords to this code. Cant remember if upgrading auto picks up the old one or not.

wratterus
19-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Yep upgrading works fine with a username/password.

pctek
19-11-2015, 12:53 PM
No fresh attacks have been quarantined for some time-- is that because no attacks have happened, or has Nod 32 ceased working-

The only thing my NOD has ever got excited about is a rip of HL2 I have....it's because it doesn't trust the way it was packed. For years I have told it to ignore it, and NOD continues to never find anything.

But it's like condoms.....there's no problem while protected, it's when you stop being protected you may get an issue.

effie c
19-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Yep upgrading works fine with a username/password.

Hi,
Funny, I copied and printed W t orders, but not needed unless I am goofing off ;-(

Nod 32 v 9 in place with no input needed- why?

Is there a part I have missed? Looks good to me and it worked when I tried to draw up Skype---it put the kybosh on it instantly.

I think I am away laughing but tell me if I need further action, but it was very very easy-- too easy ? :devil
Effie c

smithie 38
19-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Hi Effie
Did the same as you and printed what W T suggested, but it was not needed. Eset upgraded to V9 with little effort.

Thanks all the same W T for your directions, but as I say they were not needed in this instance

Smithie

19-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Question:

Effie c

perhaps test the AV by letting the neighbors kids and their dad use it for a few hours :banana
actually dont do that.
Chances are you just havnt been doing silly stuff, so your PC stays clean (you'll sometimes get some cookies marked as malware with many AV's)

But in general, you cant rely on just Nod32. Install Malwarebytes as well (dont tick the trial option) & run that once per month, that sometime picks up a few things that Nod misses
But I'd bet that wont find much of note on your PC either .
:)

Also, look in the ESET log files (some files cant be quarantined) , and run a FULL Nod32 scan on the PC every now and then (not just a smart scan)
The NOD icon in the corner should change color when/if something is wrong with it , eg when it cant update

wainuitech
19-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Hi Effie
Did the same as you and printed what W T suggested, but it was not needed. Eset upgraded to V9 with little effort.

Thanks all the same W T for your directions, but as I say they were not needed in this instance

Smithie :) Its Murphy's Law -- The moment you dont have the details handy it asks for them. ;)

On a side note: Just got back from a persons place. They were having all sorts of connection problems, W10 machine running like a bucket of the brown stuff :yuck:

Took out the Trend Micro that was installed, Internet came to life instantly on rebooting and then put in Nod32 - even as it was installing it started to pop up with warnings and quarantines of active infections, and some were known Trojans - the guy was shocked :eek:

CliveM
19-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Me to. Upgraded without input from me.

bk T
19-11-2015, 04:35 PM
My Product Update says: Installed version 8.0.319.0 is up to date. Is this the latest, or, do I have to manually download the ver 9 ?

wainuitech
19-11-2015, 05:25 PM
My Product Update says: Installed version 8.0.319.0 is up to date. Is this the latest, or, do I have to manually download the ver 9 ? If its not picking it up, then manually download the Live installer from the link above.

bk T
19-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks, wainuitech. Manually downloaded the live installer, upgraded successfully with minimal user input. :)

gary67
20-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Had to use the manual installer too but it did the rest on its own, now have to get SWMBO off her computer so that can be done too

bk T
20-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Set up configuration seems to be different from previous versions.

I am still trying to figure out how to set up Nod32 to prompt me for action when it detects a 'nasty' object.

Can someone here point me the way?

pctek
20-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Advanced setup
On Demand scanning
Threatsense parameters (expand this)

Then choose Cleaning level.

bk T
20-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Thanks, pctek. I didn't notice the 'Advanced setup' at the bottom right corner. I need a pair of better glasses. LOL

wratterus
20-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Hitting F5 will bring up the advanced settings too.