PDA

View Full Version : what is the pain of going back to win 7?

Vince
18-11-2015, 07:18 PM
I have just spent an afternoon trying to find win10 drivers for my Logitech webcam!
Logitech has set up a company to sell them (tweakbit). They want a monthly fee.

Seems to me that Logitech should sue MS for sabotage.:mad:

How have you people found going back to7?
What do U think the long term consequences would be?

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Whats the model of the cam?? Did you go to the site?? Didnt Win10 install any?

Sounds a bit stupid selling drivers which should be free.

Most of the Logitech drivers I've seen, you can download for free, like any other manufacturer

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Did you install any tweakbit programs?? Because theyre crap

wainuitech
18-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Windows 10 usually will download the right drivers. Sometimes you have to manually run Windows updates several times before they detect. Failing that W8.1 or 7 Drivers can work also.

As speedy asked what model of Camera is it ?

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Yup even with the cam here (since there are no drivers on the MS site). They're for Win7. Win8 and 10 installs them thru windowsupdate. Same goes for this printer.

Had to use the canon one from the site before. But with the new version of Win10, they come from windowsupdate. Obviously you have to get online first before they'll download

dugimodo
18-11-2015, 07:41 PM
I seriously doubt tweakbit has anything to do with logitech, more likely you searched for drivers and one of the results was tweakbit trying to drum up business.
Always go direct to the manufacturer and search from there. Try this page for a start http://support.logitech.com/en_nz/search#q=webcam&t=Downloads&scope=p

Poppa John
18-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Maryann Would still have W7 over W10 any time. I am not particularly enamoured with W10 either.

Did somebody on here say that there was a W10 version of SP1 coming thro? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Dont know if its SP1 but it's a later version than the original version

Vince
18-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Win10 doesn't have Windows Update does it. I cant find it if it does.

Look at this. Logitech website sends U to Tweakbit which when installled, scans your computer and offers a list of drivers which can be updated. I was then asked for my email and name, which when provided led for a request for my credit card...
that was I uninstalled it; I have had my time wasted this way before, though not so cleverly.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=logitech+web+camera+hd+720p+drivers+for+w in10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=ssl

Windows 10 usually will download the right drivers. Sometimes you have to manually run Windows updates several times before they detect. Failing that W8.1 or 7 Drivers can work also.

As speedy asked what model of Camera is it ? logitech+web+camera+hd+720p

dugimodo
18-11-2015, 10:24 PM

Look at this. Logitech website sends U to Tweakbit which when installled, scans your computer and offers a list of drivers which can be updated. I was then asked for my email and name, which when provided led for a request for my credit card...
that was I uninstalled it; I have had my time wasted this way before, though not so cleverly.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=logitech+web+camera+hd+720p+drivers+for+w in10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=ssl

logitech+web+camera+hd+720p

First result when I click your link is this http://support.logitech.com/en_ch/product/hd-webcam-c270 a logitech page with the download link on it, tweakbit not in sight anywhere. Maybe you have malware. however you are ending up at tweakbit it's not from the official Logitech site. I even clicked download to check.

To find update click the start button and type "update" then click the "check for updates" result. You can also click the notification Icon bottom right, choose all settings, and get to update from there.

pctek
19-11-2015, 08:04 AM
Logitech has set up a company to sell them (tweakbit). They want a monthly fee.

Seems to me that Logitech should sue MS for sabotage.:mad:

They certainly have not.
No manufacturer sells their drivers.

This is dodgy....
https://nz.trustpilot.com/review/tweakbit.com

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Yup I went to the Logitech site last night (I'm using their K400r kb). No sign of Tweakbit either. Win10 does have windowsupdate. Settings / update and security

Instead of using Google go to Logitech's site. Does the cam have a shorter name? logitech+web+camera+hd+720p doesn't sound like a model. That's what it supports

Whenu
19-11-2015, 09:03 AM

logitech+web+camera+hd+720p

Using your link, the first two results were sponsored sites, the next results were Logitech sites.

dugimodo
19-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Oh Yeah, Whenu explains it. I'm so much in the habit of ignoring sponsored links I don't even know I'm doing it. I really thought the logitech result was the first one :) The first sponsored link is tweakbit, just because it has logitech in the address does not mean it has anything to do with logitech. As a rule skip sponsored results, or at the least check them carefully. They are paid adds and can go anywhere.

As to the other question from the OP, no real pain going back to 7 if that's what you want. May have to manually install drivers for that as well of course.
This driver issue is not really a windows 10 thing though, could happen with any windows version.

19-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Whats the model of the cam??

please answer that if you want help with the webcam. Its really the most important bit of info. :annoyed:

Otherwise, re the original question, it can be quite painless indeed to go back to Win7, unless you run into unforseen issues & then there may be alot of pain (wipe & reload)
You wont know untill you try :)
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

The roll back from Win10 does work, but...
"If it’s been over a month — or if you’ve run the DIsk cleanup tool and removed the “Previous Windows installations” files or deleted the C:\Windows.old folder by hand — you’ll no longer see this option. Windows 10 appears to automatically remove the old Windows installation files after a month to free up space."

linw
20-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Those damned sponsored links are a minefield and driver searches are certain to produce many cunningly worded URLs. One could almost say if you choose the top ones you are in for pain.

Vince
20-11-2015, 08:25 PM
From the manual-Logitech HD web cam C270 getting error message "Windows cannot find launcher_main.exe" when I try to use the camera. WebcamViewer can use the camera; Skype can only use the microphone.

Sorry to B slow, I had a bad bout of pneumonia a week ago. Four days and nights without sleep. Still weak and unfocused.

please answer that if you want help with the webcam. Its really the most important bit of info. :annoyed:

Otherwise, re the original question, it can be quite painless indeed to go back to Win7, unless you run into unforseen issues & then there may be alot of pain (wipe & reload)
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

"If it’s been over a month — or if you’ve run the DIsk cleanup tool and removed the “Previous Windows installations” files or deleted the C:\Windows.old folder by hand — you’ll no longer see this option. Windows 10 appears to automatically remove the old Windows installation files after a month to free up space."

wainuitech
20-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Suggest you use something like Revo Uinstaller in advanced mode, completely remove the drivers for the cam and then after a reboot, install the actual real drivers. It is compatible with W10.

The real drivers from Logitech.: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/hd-webcam-c270 ( same drivers as posted in #10)

Just attached the C170 and the default windows drivers work perfectly, nothing needed from Logitech. The C270 should work the same. If some odd ball drivers have been installed that could be the cause. Either that of the install of W10 is corrupted someplace. This happens A LOT if its a upgrade from a previous OS.

Vince
20-11-2015, 10:48 PM
From the manual-Logitech HD web cam C270 getting error message "Windows cannot find launcher_main.exe" when I try to use the camera. WebcamViewer can use the camera; Skype can only use the microphone.

Sorry to B slow, I had a bad bout of pneumonia a week ago. Four days and nights without sleep. Still weak and unfocused.

Agent_24
22-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Look at this. Logitech website sends U to Tweakbit

No it doesn't.

Google is trying to send you to Tweakbit via an advertisement. Notice the little yellow "Ad" icon next to the link?

Install an adblock in your browser!

23-11-2015, 09:24 AM

drivers/software here
http://support.logitech.com/en_nz/product/hd-webcam-c270

Unfortunately, logitech often bundles alot of uneeded crapware with the drivers. Thats possibly whats failing.
I would try uninstalling everything logitech, & re-installing with the minimum options, only the driver . In skype, you need to go into tools/options & make sure the webcam is selected.

Digby
27-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Those damned sponsored links are a minefield and driver searches are certain to produce many cunningly worded URLs. One could almost say if you choose the top ones you are in for pain.

Yes why do they need to be so cunning!
I hope no ever buys their stuff.

Just be plain and honest abut it.

Digby
27-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Shirley, if your webcam if fairly recent Logitech will make W10 drivers for it.

It would be cheaper and better for you to buy a new webcam and stick with W10.
Then you will be assured it will "always" be current.

wainuitech
27-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Shirley, if your webcam if fairly recent Logitech will make W10 drivers for it.

It would be cheaper and better for you to buy a new webcam and stick with W10.
Then you will be assured it will "always" be current. logitech make drivers for that cam, the legit links have been posted several times in this thread.

More often than not, its not the Cam causing the problem its Windows 10 Being upgraded from a previous OS.

99% of all the windows 10 problems I've dealt with is when it was upgraded from W7 or 8.1. the upgrade doesn't work fully and all sorts of corruptions can happen. The best way is to wipe the drive clean and install W10 from Fresh. Today alone I've had 2 calls from people whose W10 upgrade from W7 turned turtle and now they have a unbootable machine.

Sometimes people just don't want to believe their Computer is corrupted somewhere, and cant be helped if they think like that. Another goody is Norton, McAfee and trend micro Internet Security packages -- total disaster zones ;)