PDA

View Full Version : Win10 ISO on USB - any way to check version?

BBCmicro
18-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I downloaded Win10 from a Microsoft site to a USB stick. I now want to check it's the right version before using it. Currently using Win7pro64 OEM

I tried various 'dism' commands but it said the file wasn't found or was the wrong format. Windows Explorer shows the existence of a file called install.esd in a folder called sources

(The Microsoft download site was rather lacking in information. It just said Windows 10. No date, no version number, no mention of 'November update', no link to more information.)

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 09:14 AM
You have to extract an esd file with the esd decryptor program, so it'll create an ISO

BBCmicro
18-11-2015, 09:29 AM
I don't want an ISO as such. I intend to boot from the USB drive

I feel sure there must be a dism command looking directly into the USB file system

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Well you can't boot from an esd file since its encrypted. You have to use the decryptor tool so it creates the ISO.

You would still have to use something like rufus to create a bootable disk (from the ISO that ESD file creates). Unless you're going to mount the ISO after (and upgrade from within windows)

Once the decryptor tool creates tha ISO it'll have a name. Type that name into Google it'll tell you what it is

BBCmicro
18-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Perhaps decryption is done during use. I don't know

Is it possible to tell from the dates that it's the November update?

wainuitech
18-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Heres how: from a admin command prompt ( or Powershell - Admin) type of copy paste the command

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\Boot.wim /index:1

The Drive Letter E is what your USB drive will be that has windows on it, change to suit your drive letter:

Arrow in screen shot point to the version

Eg:

Going by the picture you posted the Drive is K so your command would be:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:K:\sources\Boot.wim /index:1

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Try this from here (http://superuser.com/questions/189671/how-to-check-if-win-7-disk-is-64bit-and-what-version). Even tho that's for Win7, it maybe the same for Win10

Click "Start", type "cmd", press "ENTER".

Type or paste: dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:"f:\sources\install.wim"

(Replace f: with drive path to installer root).

wainuitech
18-11-2015, 10:06 AM
using install.win failed with errors ( tried that ) :) change to boot.wim and it works.

Heres teh latest, just had to make a USB as a laptop refuses to move on during an upgrade ( surprise) ;)

BBCmicro
18-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Thanks Wainui - it worked a treat

I presume 10.0.10586 is the latest-and-greatest

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 10:20 AM
yup

bk T
18-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Just checked my version, it's still 10.0.10240!

I downloaded only yesterday.

Where did you get the latest version?

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 12:12 PM
You may have to use the media creation tool from the MS site. Then download it

bk T
18-11-2015, 12:13 PM
That's where I got it from.

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Thought it had been updated when the newer version came out. You may have to see if someone has the ISO. I did post a link in the other forum, but the link is dead now

wainuitech
18-11-2015, 04:38 PM
I got mine ( ISO) from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench SCROLL DOWN-- You select a few options, and its the latest, contains both Home and pro.

Shows as a Tech Preview ( did on my Server when I loaded it as a image for installing over the LAN / New Builds ) but works fine. Had to wipe a drive that had 10240, as it wouldn't upgrade, installed over LAN fresh, activated automatically even before I had time to open and look to see if it had or not - Sweet as :thumbs:

bk T
18-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks, wainuitech for your link. The 'Windows 10 edition' option is for both Home and Pro?

wainuitech
18-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks, wainuitech for your link. The 'Windows 10 edition' option is for both Home and Pro? Yep, when you install, if its a fresh install then where it asks for the product key, skip entering, then it asks what version you want ( home or Pro) select what you had previously, while installing, unless theres some odd network driver it doesn't pick up it will activate from the previous Install thats already recorded at Microsoft.

If doing an upgrade, it should automatically detect whats there. On saying that I haven't done an upgrade using that ISO. When loading in the install.wim file onto the server it showed as the tech Preview, ( both versions H & Pro) which allow upgrades.

bk T
18-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Thanks.

bk T
18-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, according to this site (http://www.howtogeek.com/232176/whats-new-in-windows-10s-first-big-update-the-windows-10-fall-update/)with this new build, we can use Win7, Win8 8.1 product key to activate Win10. Can we use those keys to do a clean install by entering the key when asks during the installing process?

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2015, 07:06 AM
If you upgraded from 7 or 8 to win 10, it should carry that key across to the Win10 install.

And next time, when / if you do a clean install of Win10, it'll automatically activate it. Once, you're online.

I upgraded on this. And I've done like 3-4 clean installs of Win10. Never had a prob with it activating, once I've installed the wireless drivers to get online

During the install of Win10 you can skip typing the key in. It'll still activate, once you're in Windows and online

wainuitech
19-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, according to this site (http://www.howtogeek.com/232176/whats-new-in-windows-10s-first-big-update-the-windows-10-fall-update/)with this new build, we can use Win7, Win8 8.1 product key to activate Win10. Can we use those keys to do a clean install by entering the key when asks during the installing process? Been meaning to try that :)

Found a Old PC that has never had W10 on it, Vista in fact, disconnected from the internet, threw on a blank HDD, booted from the DVD 10586, entered a W7 Home OEM Key and it thought about it, then Accepted it. Then rebooted and tried a Windows 8 Retail, again accepted it.

So YEP you can fresh install using previous keys on hardware thats never been activated With W10 before. :)

Didn't go so far as activating, not going to waste a Good Key to test it out, but it should activate if the key was accepted in the first place.

bk T
19-11-2015, 07:32 AM
Looks it accepts all those keys. :)

And, with a Win8 laptop without COA key visible , I think it should detect by itself automatically, too.

Looks like a big improvement after 'listening' to the public! ?