PDA

View Full Version : My partial download of Fallout 4 deleted itself in steam

GameJunkie
11-11-2015, 08:40 AM
So since the 7th of November, I've been downloading Fallout 4 via steam, doing a bit each day as we have a capped plan on our internet at home.

Up until yesterday, I had downloaded 7.4GB or so of the 24 according to steam.

I started steam up just before, and notice that A: there is a patch that has been release fixing some crash relating some audio drivers, and B: that my 7.4GB partial download of the game has disappeared, and the download is starting from 0 again.

How is this even possile????

wratterus
11-11-2015, 10:24 AM
From steam forums

Here's how I got it to work.

1.) Locate the folder of the game you are trying to install that got reset, if it's not there, let the game download re-download like maybe 50mbs or so, and it should show up.

2.) Go onto Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/downloading and you will see a bunch of files in there that were left from the download that stopped. If you are dling more than 1 game at once you may have to sort through them, if not, take all of those files and move them onto the corresponding game folder.

3.) Go onto your library and verify the integrity of that games cache, then start the download again and it should go back up to where you left off.

dugimodo
11-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Wait to the last day of your cap, check your usage, and download the whole thing? or at least as much as you have left on the cap and then the rest a day later.

I don't see the point of a bit each day, it still all goes in the same month unless you just happen to go past the last day of the cap. You can find your billing period online or ring your ISP if not. A bit at the end of each month I would understand.

If you know someone else who's downloading the game who doesn't have a cap just copy the files from them, steam will find them while downloading as long as you put them in the right place. I've moved and reinstalled my steam directory a couple times and can confirm it will use existing files if it finds them.

GameJunkie
11-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Wait to the last day of your cap, check your usage, and download the whole thing? or at least as much as you have left on the cap and then the rest a day later.

I don't see the point of a bit each day, it still all goes in the same month unless you just happen to go past the last day of the cap. You can find your billing period online or ring your ISP if not. A bit at the end of each month I would understand.

If you know someone else who's downloading the game who doesn't have a cap just copy the files from them, steam will find them while downloading as long as you put them in the right place. I've moved and reinstalled my steam directory a couple times and can confirm it will use existing files if it finds them.

The point of downloading it a bit each day, is that we have a 150GB a month cap at home. not everyone has u

With 3 desktops, 2 tablets, 2 phones, 2 ipods, and an xbox one on the network, 4 people using it daily, it ads up quickly.

That and the fact that i end up paying if we go over the cap.

Our cap resets in 10 days, I dont want to have to wait that long but it looks like i'll have to

GameJunkie
11-11-2015, 11:01 AM
From steam forums

Here's how I got it to work.

1.) Locate the folder of the game you are trying to install that got reset, if it's not there, let the game download re-download like maybe 50mbs or so, and it should show up.

2.) Go onto Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/downloading and you will see a bunch of files in there that were left from the download that stopped. If you are dling more than 1 game at once you may have to sort through them, if not, take all of those files and move them onto the corresponding game folder.

3.) Go onto your library and verify the integrity of that games cache, then start the download again and it should go back up to where you left off.

That didnt work

pctek
11-11-2015, 12:31 PM
The point of downloading it a bit each day, is that we have a 150GB a month cap at home

So unless you download a bit each month, it won't help.

Just go buy the actual disk, then you don't have any hassles downloading.

dugimodo
11-11-2015, 12:56 PM
The point of downloading it a bit each day, is that we have a 150GB a month cap at home.

That's what I was getting at, it's a monthly cap not a daily one.

5GB a day for 5 days for example is the same as 25GB on one day if they all fall into the same billing month. Spreading it out daily doesn't help, spreading over different billing months does. Until very recently I managed just fine with an 80GB cap and before that 40GB. I only have unlimited now as with my ISP there's no price difference between 150 and unlimited and I was occasionally blowing the 80GB cap.

Worst one for me was an unexpected 12GB patch for world of warcraft that downloaded itself for me and my flatmate for a total of 24GB out of the 40GB cap I had at the time, ended up at dial up speeds for half that month.

dugimodo
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM

I'd agree except.... Steam games sometimes download the whole game anyway, even when you start the install from the disk. I haven't done this recently to confirm but I remember it happening and I know it's something people have complained about in the past. I think you had to deliberately put it in offline mode and disconnect the internet to be sure it wouldn't happen.

Do you pay for excess usage or get slowed down?

icow
11-11-2015, 04:35 PM

There's only ~5gb on the disk. Yay Bethesda.

Chilling_Silence
12-11-2015, 03:40 PM
It would have been deleted due to enough of an update to it, so they'd be getting you to download the new version now, rather than continuing with the old version and then patching it.