PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 license

Greg
08-11-2015, 07:52 PM
I upgraded my Vista machine to Win 7. This machine is now only good for parts. Can I transfer the license to another PC for someone who's interested in it for a small cost?

linw
08-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Legally, it depends whether the win 7 licence is an OEM or retail version. An OEM licence is supposed to die with the hardware but a retail licence can be transferred as long as it is running on only one comp at a time.

mzee
08-11-2015, 10:53 PM
It has been my experience that if the last activation took place over two years ago the key will be accepted without question.

dugimodo
09-11-2015, 07:29 AM
It has been my experience that if the last activation took place over two years ago the key will be accepted without question.
It's only 3 months or so for XP, not that it's something you'd want to install on a new PC (driver issues etc)

mzee
09-11-2015, 11:57 AM
It's only 3 months or so for XP, not that it's something you'd want to install on a new PC (driver issues etc)

Could be 3 months for W7, its a long time since I did it & memory getting a bit unreliable :)

Greg
09-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks folks. It isn't an OEM, and yeah what the new user will do with it won't be a problem.

(the last activation was less than two years ago, so if it doesn't get accepted by MS then I'll accept the loss)