PDA

View Full Version : Connecting laptop

Richard
02-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Since installing a fibre connection our Toshiba laptop will not connect to the wifi network through our new Orcon Genius modem. It tries, detects the correct network name, and with the usual very informative error message says "Cannot connect to this network". The laptop has been checked and will connect to other peoples networks, and our Kindles connect to the Orcon modem with no hassles. I have tried all the trouble-shooters I can find, with no success at getting the laptop on to the internet or our homegroup.

What am I missing?

wainuitech
02-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Drop or disable the security, see if it connects. Some Laptops are a pain if the security is to high.

linw
03-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Seen that too, WT. Important to eliminate security compatibility as you suggest.

At least it isn't an Apple device!

wainuitech
03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Seen that too, WT. Important to eliminate security compatibility as you suggest.

At least it isn't an Apple device! yeah seen that just yesterday ;)

Person had 2 faulty Belkin Modem / Routers ( even the replacement wouldn't work) , I had put in one of my loan modem/routers over the weekend, they went back to where they got the Belkin, and changed it over for a Netgear. I set it up, all the windows computers connected to the wireless almost instantly, but the Apple laptop - different story :D

linw
03-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Hope the unlucky Belkin owner didn't waste any money on Lotto! Or the Wallabies!!

What did you do about the Apple laptop?

wainuitech
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
What did you do about the Apple laptop? Had to reduce the password length, original was 14 characters, once reduced to 10 it did connect but only after 2 failed attempts.

The windows computers again connected without problems.

03-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Try re-naming the wifi network (SSID) .
I have seen rare issues where 1 device wont connect when the new wifi (router SSID) has the same name as the old wifi
The other thing to try is a cheap USB wifi dongle, often that will just connect on the problem lappy without any issues
Also try another channel: 1, 6 or 11. Try turning off 5.8Ghz (if applicable)
Disable (better yet uninstall) any 3rd party firewall or Norton or Mcaffe Suites

How old is the Laptop, is it Wireless B,G or N ? B might be an issue: it would have to be quite old to be B .
I have 2 quite old (XP) laptops here that had a few issues with our Orcon routers wifi, I simply used a wifi USB dongle in them instead

Richard
03-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you 1101. That was the answer. Once I changed the name everything came to life. I was starting to get really worried as the laptop is my wife's, and she was starting to doubt my expertise as a 'nerd'. And quite rightly. Well done!